The Realms WILL Be Updated!

WotC's Chris Perkins and Mike Mearls both mentioned the possibility of Forgotten Realms updates on Twitter today. A chap called Montgomery Headstrom tweeted at both of them - to Perkins he said "I don't understand why you guys did the Sundering if you weren't going to update the Realms. Can you clarify that for me?" and the Mearls he said "if WOTC isn't interested in updating the realms would corporate allow kickstarter drive to let Ed Greenwood do it?" Both replied to his his comments, confirming that they do, in fact, intend to update the Realms. Thanks to Adrian for the scoop.

Montgomery:
if WOTC isn't interested in updating the realms would corporate allow kickstarter drive to let Ed Greenwood do it?
Mike Mearls: who sez we aren't interested in updating it?

Montgomery: I don't understand why you guys did the Sundering if you weren't going to update the Realms. Can you clarify that for me?
Chris Perkins: The Sundering allowed us to bring back things that the setting had lost over the years. We ARE updating the Realms.

Henry

Autoexreginated
In all fairness, much of the edition warring was not about whether the game was good or not. It was mostly people who were hurt that their preferences weren't the default settings anymore, and people who didn't like what was done creatively with the Realms.

Might've been what they were mad about, but it wasnt what was said. The more accurate epithets were "video gamey", "kiddie time", "color-coded D&D", "death of role playing" and most important "THIS IS NOT D&D!!!" I dont think any of them had the desire not to denigrate the version as worthless at the time; however, I rarely hear "it's a :):):):):):):) video game!" But more:
"WE WANT MORE STUFF!"
We dont need more stuff!"
Speak for yourself I want more stuff!"
"Rules bloat is what kills games!"
"This is crap!"

MechaPilot

Explorer
Might've been what they were mad about, but it wasnt what was said.

Yeah, but it's not like it's unheard of for people to say one thing and mean another. Plus, people are notoriously bad at expressing themselves clearly or without being insulting while they're angry. And, it's also relatively common for people who feel hurt to crap on things other people like just they aren't the only ones who feel bad.

Short version: Angry/upset people frequently behave like jerks.

The more accurate epithets were. . .

I wouldn't say "accurate epithets." "Accurate epithets" indicates that the epithets were true instead of acknowledging the subjective quality of many of the things you stated.

For example:

Saying something is not D&D, regardless of what version of D&D one is talking about, depends on where an individual feels the identity of D&D lies. Someone who feels the identity of D&D requires the vancian casting system will naturally feel that a system without it (or even a system that modifies it) is not D&D. I am sure there are some people who feel that 5e isn't D&D because of the removal of spells scaling by caster level.

Second example:

I have seen some people complain about social skills in D&D, saying that roleplaying shouldn't require die rolling and should simply be adjudicated by the DM. For those people 3e, 4e, and 5e could be seen as the "death of roleplaying" since you can determine success or failure by simply tossing the dice.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
Best news of the year!!! It was already suggested in the Forbes article, now it's confirmed! FR Fans Rejoice (haters, start the hate)!!!

Icon_Charlie

First Post
Heh All I see is recycling of old IP's. Though 5E is rather interesting, the rest of the product line to myself is not. IMHO I see no creativity. No spark of life of imagination such as Monty Cook's or Margret Weiss's works of recent as an example. That "oh wow" factor to myself is just not there.

What I see from my tired old eyes are businessmen telling the designers to data mine was popular before and not really enhancing what they have now. That takes R&D and I know they are on a certain budget to perform with.

I'll just have to wait and see what comes out next. I am hoping that there is that "oh wow" factor in some of their product line.
I am hoping that is the case.

Talmek

Explorer
Any update means new content and that's fine with me! My group is getting ready to kick off a new ToD campaign so this would fall just in time...

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
Heh All I see is recycling of old IP's. Though 5E is rather interesting, the rest of the product line to myself is not. IMHO I see no creativity. No spark of life of imagination such as Monty Cook's or Margret Weiss's works of recent as an example. That "oh wow" factor to myself is just not there.

What I see from my tired old eyes are businessmen telling the designers to data mine was popular before and not really enhancing what they have now. That takes R&D and I know they are on a certain budget to perform with.

I'll just have to wait and see what comes out next. I am hoping that there is that "oh wow" factor in some of their product line.
I am hoping that is the case.
"Oh wow!!" Factors tend to be trends, and trends fall out of fashion. D&D is a classic, and classics don't fall out of fashion.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I popped into this thread expecting to eat crow for being so sure Wizards would stick to their "no setting books" strategy, but man, am I laughing. Still no confirmation of an FRCS5! I love this dynamic they have going on; I just can't get enough of it. Mearls is like the Morpheus of the RPG industry, and it is so much fun.

"Do you think that's air you're breathing now?"

Perkins' tweet is in the present tense. It comes in way under 144 characters. If he wanted to add a "going to," he absolutely could have. He's not saying they /will/ update the Forgotten Realms, he's saying they already have, in the published storylines and tie-in Adventurers League content.

delericho

Legend
Perkins' tweet is in the present tense. It comes in way under 144 characters. If he wanted to add a "going to," he absolutely could have. He's not saying they /will/ update the Forgotten Realms, he's saying they already have, in the published storylines and tie-in Adventurers League content.

Um... "already have" would be past tense.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases