The Realms WILL Be Updated!

WotC's Chris Perkins and Mike Mearls both mentioned the possibility of Forgotten Realms updates on Twitter today. A chap called Montgomery Headstrom tweeted at both of them - to Perkins he said "I don't understand why you guys did the Sundering if you weren't going to update the Realms. Can you clarify that for me?" and the Mearls he said "if WOTC isn't interested in updating the realms would corporate allow kickstarter drive to let Ed Greenwood do it?" Both replied to his his comments, confirming that they do, in fact, intend to update the Realms. Thanks to Adrian for the scoop.

Montgomery:
if WOTC isn't interested in updating the realms would corporate allow kickstarter drive to let Ed Greenwood do it?
Mike Mearls: who sez we aren't interested in updating it?

Montgomery: I don't understand why you guys did the Sundering if you weren't going to update the Realms. Can you clarify that for me?
Chris Perkins: The Sundering allowed us to bring back things that the setting had lost over the years. We ARE updating the Realms.

Agamon

Adventurer
I know that this might sound unintuitive, as the 3e setting was changed by 4e, which was again changed by 5e, and the timeline has advanced quite a bit, but plopping PotA into 3e FR requires zero work and works fine. I'm running it in my 3e setting game, and only making changes to suit my particular campaign, not the setting.

I own all 4 editions of settings, and it would easily work in the 1e and 2e settings easily, as well. The 4e setting is the only one that would require some elbow grease to fit it in.

That doesn't help those that would prefer the new shiny, I realize, but it does work, and work well.

Hussar

Legend
The Sundering is too FR specific. Once you clean out all the spin/PR and look at the actual products, the APs are generic adventures set in a setting called the Forgottem Realms. By design the APs can happen in any campaign world. The setting info in there is minimalist because events like the Sundering prevents genericness. APs are not the way they will update the FR.

These tweets can be filled in the same drawer as comments about the OGL and PDFs. Fun to analyze and speculate on, but they do not mean much. You know, cause nothing exist unless it is officially announced.

Wow, Mearls really did shoot your dog didn't they? Never miss a chance to drag that back up. You and [MENTION=40171]Shashara[/MENTION]k should start a club. :mad: :erm:

-----------

Since there is an FR wiki, and it's free, and it's open to anyone, what more information would a new book actually contain?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Wow, Mearls really did shoot your dog didn't they?
And a personal attack, not an actual argument. the funny thing is I never mentioned Mearls.

Never miss a chance to drag that back up.
The truth, it hurts.

So, nothing contradicting what I said.

Since there is an FR wiki, and it's free, and it's open to anyone, what more information would a new book actually contain?
There is so much wrong here I do not where to start.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
So, [MENTION=55961]goldomark[/MENTION], what exactly were you referring to with this:

Doublethink to be over dramatic?

The tweets and comments at cons (When Perkins mentioned the OGL and PDFs), aren't official announcements. Alhtought I would say a designer representing WotC at a seminar during a convention is a bit more official than comments on a designer's personal account on twitter, but that is another debate. To come back to unofficial annoucements, well we know that a product can be not-cancelled *wink wink* when they are not announced officially. So how are we supposed to react to the tweets? Pretend they haven't been said so whe they are not cancelled we aren't disappointed? Be enthusiastic and be mad when we are told you cannot cancel something that hasn't been announced? If you do not want us to know something is being worked on or might be released, do not mention it in the first place.

The tweets wouldn't be problematic if WotC communciated more. But it doesn't. Its designers do. Unofficially. It is worse of a bad situation.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Wow, Mearls really did shoot your dog didn't they? Never miss a chance to drag that back up. You and [MENTION=40171]Shashara[/MENTION]k should start a club. :mad: :erm:

-----------

What! It was Mearls that shot my dog!

All these years I have been blaming Crawford dressed up in the WotC Ninja Costume!

Hussar

Legend
So, [MENTION=55961]goldomark[/MENTION] and [MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION], in a thread that has nothing to do with cancelled products, your reason for bringing up Mearls' tweet was what?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases