• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The Resurrection of Mike Mearls Games.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The untitled 5E clone (maybe "mutant" would be a better term) I am working on very slowly and piecemeal reduces classes to four base classes (Priest, Rogue, Warrior, Wizard) and then every few levels players choose another "path" for their character - so kind of like a sub/prestige class - and some of these are shared by the four base classes. So if you start as Warrior, at 3rd level you choose between Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Berserker to continue and then later (5th or 6th? - still working) each of those has a choice that branches (some of them having a new path in common - so for example the Archer path would be open to Fighters and Rangers, but not Paladins or Berserkers. The paladin path is also open to Priests who want to be better at combat).

So yeah, I am in agreement that the established subclass and multiclassing system doesn't need to be how it works for 5E influenced games (even though I love multiclassing and for core D&D no multiclassing is kind of a dealbreaker for me)>

Last edited:

There's just so many better ways to do multiclassing IMO. For example, feats and backgrounds. A feat that gives you a few features from another class, or a core feature, etc; a background that comes with free feats and other feats in the future. These things are just so much better then multiclassing imo

jgsugden

Legend
I'm focused on the 5e SRD for now, as that's the system I am most familiar with. In terms of D&D Beyond, if that ever happened it would be pretty rad. But that's getting way ahead of myself!
When great talent and great planning align, amazing things result. I hope you'll set some long term goals for your materials and keep working towards them. The community has historically had a lot of respect for your essential contributions to the quality of the game we hold dear.

Remove ads