• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The Retro Edition Market

Sacrosanct

Legend
AFAIC, the only prior edition stuff WoTC should be doing is what they already did by releasing the special reprint editions of the core books for AD&D. And yes, people bought them up. (IMO, mostly for nostalgia)

Also, yes, there is a market for them because the OSR market is strong. But here’s the thing. Many (if not most) of us who played TSR era D&D back in the day (and still do), created our own material. Home brew campaigns and worlds seemed to be more of the norm, where we dragged and dropped our own adventures along side of the TSR ones (freely intermixing AD&D modules along with B/X). So it is of my opinion it’s not worth WoTC time to create retro material. The OGL and 3PP community is more than filling that void. And it’s not like that old official material disappeared. It’s all still available, and can provide years of gaming

reelo

Hero
Seeing how phenomenally well Necrotic Gnome's "Old-School Essentials" (which is basically 100% Moldvay Basic) is selling, WotC should release an updated version of Basic D&D, with race-as-class, 10 or 14 levels max, and no skills/feats. There's a market for truly stripped-down D&D.

Zardnaar

Legend
Seeing how phenomenally well Necrotic Gnome's "Old-School Essentials" (which is basically 100% Moldvay Basic) is selling, WotC should release an updated version of Basic D&D, with race-as-class, 10 or 14 levels max, and no skills/feats. There's a market for truly stripped-down D&D.

Reprinting the RC would probably sell well.
Last time they reprinted previous edition stuff they missed that one.

OSR is more B/X and OD&D based vs 1E.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Reprinting the RC would probably sell well.
Last time they reprinted previous edition stuff they missed that one.

OSR is more B/X and OD&D based vs 1E.

Huh? OSRIC was probably the most popular conversion. And as someone who has been active in the OSR movement (both as player and publisher), it seems that the cleaned up 1e versions are the most popular.

Zardnaar

Legend
Huh? OSRIC was probably the most popular conversion. And as someone who has been active in the OSR movement (both as player and publisher), it seems that the cleaned up 1e versions are the most popular.

Maybe but a lot of clones that sell aren't based off 1E.
OSRIC was early but what's getting published and sold?

Flame Princess, ACKs, Sword and Sorcery, ACKs, C&C, Dark Dungeons, Labyrinth Lord, Basic Fantasy seem to be done if the more popular clones. Only C&C is really 1E based using 3E type mechanics.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Adventures?

I was referring to published clones as rules system.

I own some of your stuff;).

OSRIC is free, right? Not sure about the full S&W and LL. So not sure how we’d know? I can’t speak for how adventures for them sell other than my own figures. I suppose one could do a report on platinum vs gold vs copper sellers. But I’m not vested enough to do that 😂

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads