• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The Retro Edition Market

Anoth

Adventurer
Love OSRiC and labyrinth lord among others. But i really wish modules coming out were setting neutral so they could be dropped in any setting easily. I still use many adventures from 1983 and earlier and just strip the names and make a few changes hear and there based on what I am doing and the players never know.

If WotC offered digital versions of older German editions, I would most probably buy them (as I have done with the English ones). Even though I am not the biggest fan of 5th edition, I don’t think they should start selling multiple editions in print, though. Having everyone unified in one product line is certainly an asset.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Huh? OSRIC was probably the most popular conversion. And as someone who has been active in the OSR movement (both as player and publisher), it seems that the cleaned up 1e versions are the most popular.
And, before OSRIC, there was Hackmaster, which, tongue in cheek or no, was a 1e tribute band.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Don't they have just about all the older products for sale through the DMs Guild? I feel it's hard to say that they need to discourage older editions while they are actively selling those items.

I don't think they should spend time or resources creating new content of any kind for old editions, but I don't see how the DMs Guild stuff is a problem.

Fanaelialae

Legend
This. It's in WotC's best interests to actively discourage people from playing other editions.
Nah, the people who want to play older editions will play older editions. If they don't get their stuff from DM's Guild they'll get it from eBay or the like. All "actively discouraging" play of older editions would get them would be bad blood.

Instead, they are passively encouraging play of older editions (by making most OOP products available via DMs Guild). It's great because there were some hard to get products that sellers were price gouging on eBay that you can now get from DMs Guild at a reasonable price (Red Hand of Doom was among these). Everybody wins.

How many people would buy products for previous editions? How many people are playing them? Should WOTC produce things for more than one edition? Discuss...
You do know you can buy previous edition products in print on demand over at drivethrurpg.com and that many folks already do, right?

They dont have to product anything new for older editions, just keep making them available in PoD form

Weiley31

Legend
Well I'm buying the OG Temple of Elemental Evil, City of The Spider Queen, the 4E Raven Queen vs Orcus related modules, Complete Book of Druids for lore about Druid Culture(especially keeping the Highlander style of dueling for raising in the Druid Society rank), Complete Book of Necromancers for lore and some of the 3.0 Forgotten Realms/Faerun books for world building , deity info and lore in my 5E games.

So I wouldn't mind that. Especially if I can get some of the older physical copy books at non-scalper prices

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
I do not think they got the man power to do this, i really prefer they focus on more urgent (impov) themes like a working psion etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads