• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Return of the Sneaking Man

Jack7

First Post
One thing I'd really, really like to see in 5th Edition is the return of the Thief.

The Rogue was to me an interesting NPC Class concept, but it was far too ambiguous and ineffective a character class, in my opinion, as either a Team Member, or as a Lone Operative. I am hopeful that 5E will herald the return of the Thief.

The Thief to me, like the Ranger or the Barbarian, was both an excellent Team Operative and an excellent Lone Operative. A valuable character class that could be used in numerous ways and could achieve a wide number of objectives, both in-group and on his own.

I very much look forward to the rebirth of the Sneaking Man. The Rogue to me was more of a dandy, and a sort of silk-laced bad boy. The Thief, by contrast, was a working man. A dangerous man. A dangerous man for a dangerous job. Far more fit for real adventuring and for grime and blood and chill nights of dark surveillance, than the Rogue, who was more fit for the theatre and the tavern hall.

If I'm to infiltrate a dangerous enemy camp, much less a potentially monster filled set of ruins, I want a dangerous survivor and ambusher, I don't want a fancy dresser and a good talker. I want a man who knows the enemy and where to cut him, not a man who critiques the enemy and is a professional negotiator. (Although negotiation has its rewards and is a useful capability, it's of little use in a either a street fight, or a fight with cut-throats and monsters.)

For that I'd much rather have a thief. The Rogue can size up strangers in the beer-hall. I'll pay him for his opinion. In the field though I want a man who can kill, who can sneak, survive, run an informant, infiltrate, and hamstring the Ogre. Him I want with me.

The Rogue always struck me as the urban ne'er-do-well, knave, and scoundrel. The Thief as deadly and cunning.

Some of the things I naturally think the thief should be good at and that I'd like to see the thief intrinsically good at include thievery (of course), burglary, robbery, forgery (and crime in general), ambush, stealth and sneaking, escape and evasion, analysis of dangerous situations (danger sense), traps (setting and disarming), locating hidden things, espionage, infiltration, disguise and cover stories, scouting (a Ranger would be good at many of these things as well, but in a different way and for different effects and reasons), street and dirty fighting, survival, vadding, hiding, covert interrogation and questioning, manhunting (not tracking so much as tracing men and their habits), surveillance and casing victims and places, and tool use.

Do you wish to see the Return of the Thief, and if so what do you think he/she should be good at? What do you want out of your Sneaking Man?

Ahnehnois

First Post
Conceptually I liked the rogue. Mechanically not so much.

The question to me is whether a rogue class can really be as versatile as the concept demands or whether you need a thief and a scout and so on.

One way or another, I would like to be able to make a more focused thief.

ferratus

Adventurer
I want my sneaking man to be able to leave and return to the party with information on a single successful stealth roll. I want a stealth failure to mean that the thief returns to the party without proper intel instead of being discovered and caught at least some (or most) of the time.

I want the thief to be able to take on skilled mailed fighters if they can fight on their own terms, crippling their opponent's ability to fight back with blinding powder, precise knifework, and dirty fighting.

Jack7

First Post
Conceptually I liked the rogue. Mechanically not so much.

I think that's a good observation. A good theory, but a poor workman.

I want a stealth failure to mean that the thief returns to the party without proper intel instead of being discovered and caught at least some (or most) of the time.

Concur. With that kind of work there are many gradations of success and failure.

Quickleaf

Legend
I like rogues just fine, but I do agree with the premise that a thief or rogue should interact with stealth rules in a way to facilitate recon.

I remember there was a great discussion of the dilemma of stealth in a group game on roleplayingtips.com. Some of the ideas that came out of that discussion were:

* The party trails at a safe distance and the thief uses hand signals or some other comm method like like modern recce
* A non-stealthy PC has expertise that's needed wherever the thief is going
* A multi-pronged approach is required for entering a forbidden location (a la Mission Impossible)
* Security is so tight the thief needs a distraction from his buddies
* The rest of the party gains a time-limited invisibility or equivalent

Jack7

First Post
* The party trails at a safe distance and the thief uses hand signals or some other comm method like like modern recce
* A non-stealthy PC has expertise that's needed wherever the thief is going
* A multi-pronged approach is required for entering a forbidden location (a la Mission Impossible)
* Security is so tight the thief needs a distraction from his buddies
* The rest of the party gains a time-limited invisibility or equivalent

Interesting ideas about actual applications. If a thief were placed in infiltration command of a party he might arrange an approach, an escape, or a concealed surveillance in such a way as to give the other party members real stealth and/or camouflage/disguise advantages.

Also I think a thief could likely make an excellent discreet mapper, user of secret signs and symbols and codes, and would be superb and well-practiced at misdirection.

Jack7

First Post
Who'd the Rogue's Guild pay off in 3E to get the name changed? :confused:

I thought it was the Rogue's Galleria, and that they outbid the Thieve's Guild by blackmailing the Barons.

Come to think of it though Thieves should be good at blackmail too. So it had to be more than that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I just want the core class to be called a Thief, not a Rogue. ;)

Who'd the Rogue's Guild pay off in 3E to get the name changed? :confused:

I thought it was the Rogue's Galleria, and that they outbid the Thieve's Guild by blackmailing the Barons.

Come to think of it though Thieves should be good at blackmail too. So it had to be more than that.

The greatest trick the Devil pulled off was convincing the world he does not exist.

There is no Rouge's Gallery, etc., there is, was and always will be only the Thieves' Guild. They just had some lawyers* construct a legal straw man to purchase and rename the franchise...

* we're a wholly owned subsidiary

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The greatest trick the Devil pulled off was convincing the world he does not exist.

There is no Rouge's Gallery, etc., there is, was and always will be only the Thieves' Guild. They just had some lawyers* construct a legal straw man to purchase and rename the franchise...

* we're a wholly owned subsidiary
I think that I will stick with my factions of warring crime families perfectly legitimate businessmen, involved in protection rackets insurance, prostitution entertainment, smuggling import/export, drugs and bootleg booze the sale of luxury items, and the use of lead pipes in 'creative' ways plumbing. :)

The Auld Grump, we call it 'alchemy', we use lead to get gold....

Remove ads