The Revised Marvel Universe (M&M2)

The Revised Marvel Universe
Chapter 1: Avengers Assemble!

Recruitment is closed.

---
The six of you stand together on the street amidst a towering cityscape. The wind lashes past you, whipping your cape into the air. Lightning smashes across the afternoon sky as rain begins to fall.

Your pasts are twisted, as are the paths you must take. This world is beset by an evil greater than any one of you, but you are a team - a unification of the spirit. Is it heroism? Is it vengeance? Is it the desire - the obsession - with that imbalanced and ambiguous idea of justice?

No matter. You are here, and standing in front of you are five-thousand villains. Some control electricity. Some bend the will of others. Some can rewrite time or punch harder than a train can crash.

"At least it's not six-thousand," you think. "We might not have been able to take six-thousand."

---

IC Thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/293910-rmu-avengers-assemble.html#post5318536

RG: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rogues-gallery/293911-rmu-dossier.html#post5318539

[sblock=Intro] Hey folks, I'm looking to GM a Mutants & Masterminds 2e game. It'll be heavily focused on cinematic combat, character interaction, and world exploration. This will be my first M&M game, so I'm still working to have a more thorough knowledge of the rules. Bear with me, and we can have a fun game.[/sblock]

[sblock=Setting & Premise]The setting is a revised Marvel Universe. Similarly to what the Ultimate Universe was, we'll be creating alternate versions of the characters you'd normally find in a Marvel comic. Sample ideas can be found under "Notes on Characters," below.

The premise is that the PCs have formed a super-team to combat a string of attacks by a sinister cabal of villains all over the world.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Posting Schedule]I'll be expecting you to post every 2-3 days. If you can't keep up with that consistently, please do not apply. Of course, real life takes priority. If you run into a RL problem, we'll figure out another schedule for you.[/sblock]

[sblock=Application Guidelines and House Rules]Characters will begin at PL 10 (150 PP). Please submit a complete character sheet along with a 3 paragraph background. Your character should be wholly or partly related to an existing Marvel character.

Please limit yourself to options from the Core rulebook and Ultimate Power. Other options will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

I'm looking for 6 players.[/sblock]

[sblock=Sample Background Ideas]Note: these are just ideas, but inversions of existing identities are a great starting point. Basically, be creative and have fun with it.

---
Victor Von Doom was a brilliant scientist. At Empire State University, his roommate, Reed Richards, jealous of Von Doom's incredible mental faculties, sabotaged his experiment, causing a chemical explosion. The explosion caused massive facial scarring and almost utterly destroyed Victor.

He pursued Richards, who managed to escape to a launchpad for a prototype space shuttle. As Richards attempted to hijack the shuttle, Doom realized that the explosion had caused a mutation in his DNA, resulting in the ability to control the forces of entropy around him.

Von Doom used his new ability to stop Richards from escaping in the shuttle, but had to be rushed to the hospital as he succumbed to his wounds. He was fitted with a suit of power armor to keep his body from giving out. After his recovery, Von Doom returned to his homeland of Latveria, where he used his scientific prowess to revolutionize the means of food production in his country, thereby earning him their eternal adulation.

Doom was elected President of Latveria shortly thereafter, and he currently serves as both President and the entirety of the country's military.

The people have a name for Von Doom in their language which translates roughly to "Mr. Fantastic."
---

---
It was a windy day - the blanket was spread over the grass, and the four of them sat on it, passing plates of fruit and sandwiches back and forth. The Castle family had never had a picnic before. Frank had just returned from his tour of duty - honorably discharged from the Marine Corps. Fate snuck up quietly on the young family.

The gunmen opened fire indiscriminately, and a hail of bullets fell on the picnickers. People screamed. People died. The gunmen fled. The hit had been placed by someone - someone who wanted Frank dead - someone who got what they wanted.

Cassie cried over her father's body - Frank's body was punched full of holes, and the girl cried without speaking until the police arrived. 12 year old Cassandra Castle, daughter of Frank Castle, stood alone in her family's home. She went to her father's closet and dug out his service revolver, turning over the name the policeman had mentioned - someone who they said was The Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen.

She went to her brother's bedroom - empty still, except for the smell of pained memory - and picked his Halloween mask from the floor. A skull with slitted eyes - a fearsome, ghoulish visage. The mask weighed heavily in her hand.

The Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen - they'd called him Murdock.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Our Heroes]
Slot 1: The Mandarin (Voda Vosa)
Slot 2: Delta Sentinel (Relique du Madde)
Slot 3: Avatar (Franklin Richards)
Slot 4: Power Pak (jkason)
Slot 5: Val Von Doom (Shayuri)
Slot 6: Gambit (Velmont)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Most Recent Edit]Closed recruitment.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
First!

... guess I need a character concept now.

:p

I'm thinking a new take on DAZZLER. Something where she's a bit more powerful but only has partial control over her powers. She might gain a few new ones. I'll see what I can come up with.

New concept

Franklin Richards becomes a herald of Galactus.
Galactus becomes angry with Franklin Richards for some reason (probably to save Earth - AGAIN - from being eaten).
Galactus strips Franklin Richards of being a herald and most of his "cosmic power".
Franklin Richards sees himself as Earth's appointed savior (and probably needs to be disabused of his arrogance and delusions of grandeur).

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Just to make it sure, is it something like Ultimate Universe (Example: Spiderman is younger, he is webmaster instead of photograph at the daily bungle, but he is still a human with his DNA mixed with a spider and his enemy are the same one, slightly different background for his enemy, but they are still enemies.) or is it more like an IF world (What IF Magneto was never in the nazi detention camp, would he have been an ally of Xavier at the head of the X-Men instead or being his arch-nemesis).

Insight: Cool idea! I've always thought the Dazzler concept had a lot of untapped potential.

Velmont: It can be anything you want. We'll be essentially rewriting the Marvel U from scratch. So it can be a What-If, a totally different interpretation of a character (older, younger, different powers), or really anything you can come up with. I have no prerequisites for character concepts, except that they deal with an existing Marvel character or identity in some way.

My idea for coming together is this: you'll be "The Avengers" of this particular universe. You will have been introduced by a mutual benefactor (identity unrevealed) in order to stop this league of supervillains. However, your characters don't have to be what you'd normally think of as the Avengers team.

For instance, your team could be Daredevil, Dr. Doom, a female Iron Fist, and a serious Deadpool akin to Penance. It's all good.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I think having the characters be all members of one group would be a good idea considering how the Marvel Universe seems to be more group orientated then say the DCU. Also, it also gives the group a good reason to work together. Luckily, having a loner could still work in a group situation considering how Wolverine tends to be a loner even though he's on multiple super teams.

Last edited:

Right you are, Relique.

Whether your character tends to be a loner is of course up to you. For the sake of the game, though, you'll have to be able to work as part of the group. Just like you said - Wolverine is on multiple teams (but also has his own thing going on). Same with Spider-Man (currently an Avenger) and most of the other A-listers.

edit: Just saw your edit, so...cool.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
I would go for either a character based on Bishop or Gambit. I'm not yet sure which one would be the most interesting to play. I might choose depending on the others.

Remove ads