The RMU - Avengers Assemble!

Some of you have met each other before, while some are strangers to New York City. All of you are strangers to this building. When you rode the elevator to this floor, you wondered who could have summoned you.

Six people stand in the dimly lit boardroom of this abandoned skyscraper. The lights hum intently. The wooden furniture, though old, has been polished to a shine.

You know that this is about the attacks. How could it not be? The world is in the grip of terror for days or weeks at a time. There are other groups of heroes. Why then, have you been summoned instead of them?

A woman enters the room. She is a beautiful one, with a long pink stripe marking her otherwise black hair. Her glasses reflect the soft light of the room.

She begins by introducing you to each other, and with a well-informed cadence, pacing in front of you, she speaks.

"Sentinel, designation Delta. Welcome."

"Mr. Kal Pak, also known as Power Pak, thank you for coming."

"Mr. Franklin Richards, also known as Avatar, welcome."

"Ms. Valeria Von Doom, thank you."

"Remy LeBeau, also known as Gambit, welcome."

"And you. Real name withheld, alias Mandarin, thank you for your presence."

"My name is Victoria Hand. You will refer to me as The Right Hand or Ms. Hand. Those are my proper code-names. You will answer directly to me, and I will answer directly to The Boss. That is how this gig works. You will eventually meet The Boss in person, but today is not that day."

"Instead, you will get suited up, and you will conduct your first mission this afternoon. Until then, I will field any reasonable questions, then give you time to get to know each other before I brief you on your task."

"Your team designation will be The Avengers. If you have to ask what you'll be avenging, then you obviously aren't team-leader material. This group has been formed with the explicit purpose of countering the super-powered terrorists who, according to intelligence, have gathered under a single banner of leadership."

"Now," she continues, "I'll field your questions, then leave you to get to know each other and gear up."

Insight

Adventurer
Franklin Richards, dressed in a flanel shirt over a white tank top, messy blond hair atop his head, and somewhat frayed jeans, nods slightly to Ms. Hand and looks at the others assembled here. Valeria he knows, of course. He's less certain of the others.

"You can... count on us!" Franklin says after a brief silence.

He looks at Valeria:
[sblock=Valeria]Telepathically:
Do you recognize any of these people? Should we be worried?[/sblock]

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Delta Sentinel listened to Victoria Hand's comments in silence as she tried to dispel the feelings of apprehension she felt welling up from the vestiges of Aemelita that existed back of her mind. This wasn't like playing detective in Mutant Town, nor was this like being a celebrity-reporter in Hollywood. However, she knew that her programming would not allow her to deviate from her present course.

Delta glanced at her companions for a moment before returning her focus back to Ms. Hand and asking, in her soft synthesized voice, "Query: Who is the Boss and for what purpose is the Boss's identity being withheld?"

Shayuri

First Post
Valeria smirked at seemingly nothing in particular as others asked questions. The robot's...android's?...one struck her as particularly silly. If the Boss had wanted them to know that info, then he'd probably be talking to them all himself. She glanced at Franklin standing next to her.

[sblock=Franklin]I've heard of sentinels, but this one seems very different than those. I remember seeing something about China freaking out over some metahuman warlord carving out a personal domain, and calling himself The Mandarin. But I don't think we've got anything to -worry- about."[/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
[sblock=Franklin]I've heard of sentinels, but this one seems very different than those. I remember seeing something about China freaking out over some metahuman warlord carving out a personal domain, and calling himself The Mandarin. But I don't think we've got anything to -worry- about."[/sblock]

[sblock=Valeria]
Telepathically:
If that thing is a sentinel, we'd better be ready in case it attack us, being mutants and all. I doubt it will, but you never know.

I wish Rachel was here.
[/sblock]

Ms. Hand replies to the Sentinel's question with a smirk.

"If The Boss wanted you to know who he was, he would have told you his name. Until you've proven your value, he will prefer to remain behind the scenes."

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I do not wish to be "suited up". I've already brought my own vestments, which I assure you, are way more protective than any piece of vulgar spandex you might produce." states the Mandarin. He makes a gesture with his hand. "Now, about the details of this mission?"
For now, Mandarin avoids eye contact with the others.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
"If The Boss wanted you to know who he was, he would have told you his name. Until you've proven your value, he will prefer to remain behind the scenes."
Inappropriate Response: Sarcasm.
Override Response Protocol.
Appropriate Response: Sarcasm.

Delta's facial servos twitched, causing her stoic expression to turn into a smirk. "Error. Function bossIdenityReveal(). If ( personalValue => n) { theBoss.visibility = 1; return bossIdentity } else { theBoss.visibility = 0; }. Reason: Property bossIdentity:String undefined."

As she heard the Mandarin's question, Delta relaxed the tension on her facial servos then tilted her head in eager anticipation. Hopefully Ms. Hand's response would help abate her suspicions.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Kai Pak aka Power Pak

She begins by introducing you to each other, and with a well-informed cadence, pacing in front of you, she speaks.

"Sentinel, designation Delta. Welcome."

"Mr. Kal Pak, also known as Power Pak, thank you for coming."

"Mr. Franklin Richards, also known as Avatar, welcome."

"Ms. Valeria Von Doom, thank you."

"Remy LeBeau, also known as Gambit, welcome."

"And you. Real name withheld, alias Mandarin, thank you for your presence."

Kai had flown here straight from classes, so his normal clothes were nothing more than jeans and a t-shirt. His hair was still a bit wild from the flight, but when he noticed other young people showing up, he felt more at ease.

Until Ms. Hand started introducing people.

"Von Doom? Seriously?" he blurted. "Man, my folks have worked on a boatload of crazy super-projects, and they still say Von Doom makes 'em look like morons. And man, a sentinel? I think they got to do some diagnostics on just the prototype AI matrix and ... "

"I do not wish to be "suited up". I've already brought my own vestments, which I assure you, are way more protective than any piece of vulgar spandex you might produce." states the Mandarin. He makes a gesture with his hand. "Now, about the details of this mission?"
For now, Mandarin avoids eye contact with the others.

"Actually, it's unstable molecules," Kai pipes up. "Well, at least mine is, 'cause if it weren't, then between the friction at full-speed and going cloudy I'd probably be fighting crime stark naked ...

... and I'm going to stop talking now,"
he finishes, cheeks going red.

Voda Vosa

First Post
... and I'm going to stop talking now,"[/color] he finishes, cheeks going red.

"A most astute course of action." states the Mandarin. The young man rattling about the kind of outfit he used was less entertained than watching a plant grow, for the Chinese sorceror.

Remove ads