The road yet taken; old timers: what is your White Whale setting?

I've always wanted to play a campaign in a military-focused WW2 setting. Over the years I've studied Behind Enemy Lines, Gear Krieg, Weird War, and Acthung Cthulhu, but never gotten the right combination of campaign ideas to be able to pull it off.

So, long-term GMs: what is the setting you've always wanted to run a campaign in, but for which you've never got the right inspiration/group/motivation/system/etc?

Dioltach

Legend
Sterling E. Lanier's world of Hiero's Journey and The Unforsaken Hiero. Set in the post-apocalyptic forests of Canada and the Great Lakes, with psionic priests, rangers and druids, intelligent bears, dryads, giant intelligent slugs, and a vast network of evil psioncs who use machines to amplify their powers.

I really don't understand that this hasn't become a campaign setting already.

Sterling E. Lanier's world of Hiero's Journey and The Unforsaken Hiero. Set in the post-apocalyptic forests of Canada and the Great Lakes, with psionic priests, rangers and druids, intelligent bears, dryads, giant intelligent slugs, and a vast network of evil psioncs who use machines to amplify their powers.

I really don't understand that this hasn't become a campaign setting already.

Great series!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Twilight:2000 (minus 60 years or so) might be a starting point, although you will have to create almost all the WWII equipment's stats. I can see where that might be more prep work than the expected / hoped-for enjoyment.

There is supposed to be a new version of Twilight coming out later this year that may or may not be more helpful. The discussion forum Citizens of the Imperium (attached to the Traveller RPG) has a sub-forum for Twilight, so you can get a bead on its usefulness / not so much.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I've always wanted to run a Battletech/Mechwarrior campaign. The players would be a merc outfit and they would take jobs around the inner sphere.

It's tough because I dont know a ton of folks interested in the setting, and many feel its too wargamey.

R_J_K75

Legend
Marvel Superheroes in any of its incarnations. I owned and read a few of them but just never ran it, nor did I have a group that was really interested in playing. Think things would be different now that MCU has a ton of movies under their belt, but unfortunateluy Ive long since sold those books.

Esau Cairn

Explorer
Ten years ago (when we were both in our forties), my best friend since I was 9 and he was 12 took his own life. His wife passed all his writings and books and things on to me. Among them was an incredible rpg adventure. Using circa 5th edition CoC & Nephilim rules, he had written extensive notes for a centuries-long Highlanderish campaign based on Blue Öyster Cult's Imaginos saga.

Since I've long been a mad sea captain in a landlocked state—and a "sailor on the raging depths"—I've wanted to leave my workshop of telescopes, crew the Pequod with Ismael and Queequeg, & hunt down that Moby Dick. Both a fitting tribute to my lifelong gaming geek best friend and one helluva multimedia campaign.

Remove ads