• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Romance of the River Kingdoms

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Three Flowers looks around the room and speaks out a poem.

Between Dusk and Dawn,
You'll find what you are seeking.
That's what she told us.

So, should we check between Lady East and Shrinam?
He asks.

Shayuri

First Post
Annika glances away from the statues at the strange...albeit good looking...man and frowns. Lady East? Shrinam? What did that have to do with anything? Maybe he was suffering a condition of the brain...

"Yes...we should come back after sundown," Annika says to him gently, trying to emulate the compassion of the departed woman who even now was their guide.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Three Flowers looks at Annika for a short while, puzzled, before explaining. "No, the statues I mean. Basic Sculpture. Lady East..." he says pointing to the statue "...Represents Dawn. And Shrinam..." Pointing to the other "...Represents Dusk. I think Vashti gave us a puzzle. I'm usually not good at puzzles but this was so artistic it seemed obvious to me"

The Rolling Man

First Post
Jar'Thol, Salsham'ai shaman

"Yes, of course ! Three Flowers is right. Between Dusk and Dawn must mean between the Guardian of the gates of Dusk, Shrinam, and the Guardian of the gates of Dawn, Lady East. And that can only mean ..." Jar'Thol points to the central statue. "... this statue of the Divine Emperor. Now, I'm not sure what we're supposed to do with it. Let me see what I can detect by invoking the spirits of this place."

[SBLOCK=OOC]Jar'Thol casts Detect Magic and examines the statue of the divine emperor, and the rest of the room while he's at it.[/SBLOCK]

Dr Simon

Explorer
[sblock="Jar'thol"]
The entire statue of the Divine Emperor radiates very faint magic, except for the 'Winter Sceptre', which gives a slightly strong (although still weak) aura compared to the rest.
[/sblock]

The Rolling Man

First Post
Jar'Thol, Salsham'ai shaman

"Not much, there's magic in the statue but it's pretty faint. The spirits are telling me there's something special about the Winter Sceptre however. Maybe it's some kind of trigger." Jar'Thol moves closer to closely examine the sceptre in question. Unless he sees anything obviously dangerous, he tentatively reach out to touch it, trying to either pull it out or move it in some other way

Redclaw

First Post
As Jar'thol mentions magic and moves to touch the scepter, Xielt silently steps out of the way. He tries not to look to obvious, but he does what he can to make sure that he's out of the immediate area.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Jar'Thol notices that the whole hand holding the sceptre pivots at the wrist. An illusionary spell has been used to hide the join and make it appear as smooth stone, but with the spirits to guide him the ruse becomes obvious.

[OOC: Your post suggests that Jar'Thol will pull it, so...]

The Winter Sceptre moves smoothly and a click is heard from behind the statue of the Divine Emperor.

Slowly, with the grinding of stone on stone, the statue begins to slide up into the ceiling above its niche, revealing a dark opening behind. Suddenly there is a FWONG! of something under tension snapping and the statue crashes back down to earth, topples forwards....

[sblock="Jar'Thol"]
Reflex Save roll 17+3=20
[/sblock]

Jar'Thol nimbly leaps back, avoiding the statue as it smashes to rubble on the floor that he was just occupying.

What is revealed is a narrow spiral stairwell, leading down. The remains of the Divine Emperor partially block the former secret door, but it is a simple matter to climb over them.

A foul smell issues from the stairwell, of rot and decay. The sound of water that Xielt noticed is now audible to all - a faint trickle from somewhere below.

Remove ads