DMs Guild The Ruined Tower of Zenopus 5E conversion on DMs Guild...Now with a dungeon map!

zenopus

Doomed Wizard
The Ruined Tower of Zenopus 5E screenshot.png

My 5E D&D conversion of the original Zenopus Dungeon, from the 1977 "Holmes" Basic rulebook, is now live on DMs Guild. 18-pages, $1.99.

The Ruined Tower of Zenopus (DMs Guild link)

Read more about it here on my blog, the Zenopus Archives.

The original dungeon (which includes the dungeon map) is available as a free pdf on the Wizards site.

Update: This conversion now includes a map of the dungeon suitable for use on Roll20. See 5/26/20 post below for details.

Last edited:

zenopus

Doomed Wizard
News & a Review:

The Ruined Tower of Zenopus hits Silver on DMs Guild

A review on the oldschoolfrp Tumblr:

"I bought this and gave it a first read-through. It is an excellent conversion of one of my favorite classic low level adventures, updated for 5e. There are some new monster stat blocks and minor magic items, a little town map on a peninsula (which makes it easier to locate the town on almost any coastline), options for expanding some areas, notes on factions, rumors, and ways to tie Portown to Saltmarsh, plus even 4 pre-gen PCs. Check it out."

zenopus

Doomed Wizard
There has never been any official followup either by TSR or Wizards, or even the writings of Holmes himself. In fact, as far as I know the first official recycling of the adventure material is the Tower of Zenopus site included in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, which includes some of the background and dungeon details from the original but does not include the full dungeon, and does not give any further clues regarding the fate of Zenopus.

Thus, the only clues we have are what is written in the original. Per the introduction, this doom involved unleashing "some powerful force in the depths of the tower" that result in the tower being engulfed in green flame. The coda to the adventure indicates that "depths of the tower" means "(undiscovered) deeper levels"; i.e., level(s) below the described first level of the dungeon.

Based on this description, I've speculated that the green flame was similar to the green flame in H.P. Lovecraft's short story "The Festival":

How Zenopus Met His Doom

Ghosts of Saltmarsh simply states that one night the tower was "engulfed in a fiery green aura", without specifying that Zenopus met his doom on a lower level.

zenopus

Doomed Wizard
I have two new reviews of the Ruined Tower of Zenopus to share since the last update!

Review & Adaptation by An Abominable Fancy (a six part series!):
"So The Ruined Tower of Zenopus, a 5e conversion of Holmes' Sample Dungeon by Zach Howard of the indispensable Zenopus Archives, is pretty exciting.

The result is exactly what you'd hope for. Here's the fun gameplay of a classic old school dungeon, with the clarity of modern layout. There's plenty nice, thought-out additions so that you don't feel like you should have just saved your money and looked up 5e stat blocks yourself. These include some great resources that Zach has developed for Portown and the dungeon factions..."

Reviews from R'lyeh on the Ruined Tower of Zenopus:
"...The author though, does not simply update ‘Sample Dungeon’ to Dungeons & Dragons, Fifth Edition. He also offers options to make the dungeon more challenging and adds a slew of monsters and magical items..."

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases