D&D 4E The season of the Witch

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Something wicked this way comes.... Halloween Tropes are sometimes but not always built in to D&D I have seen a very cool witch class for True 20

How would you build a Witch for D&D? or a Jack 'O Bear for that matter?

Seline, level 6
Human, Witch
Build: Malediction Invoker
Divine Covenant: Covenant of Malediction
Background: Forest Warden, Gray Vale (Gray Vale Benefit)
Deity: Sehanine
Languages: Primordial and Elven

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 23 Fort: 19 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 46 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Intimidate +7, Religion +10, Insight +11, Endurance +11, Nature +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +6, Heal +6, History +5, Perception +6, Stealth +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +3, Athletics +4

FEATS
Invoker: Alchemist
Learned Spellcaster: Ritual Caster
Human: Learned Spellcaster
Level 1: Distant Advantage
Level 2: Arcane Familiar (Serpent)
Level 4: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
Level 6: Baleful Malediction

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Hand of Radiance
Invoker at-will 1: Visions of Blood
Invoker at-will 1: Grasping Shards
Invoker encounter 1: Astral Terror
Invoker daily 1: Invocation of Ice and Fire
Invoker utility 2: Miraculous Fortune
Invoker encounter 3: Word of Ruin
Invoker daily 5: Deluge of Blood
Invoker utility 6: Solid Fog

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Rod of Hope Triumphant +2, Cape of the Mountebank +1, Adventurer's Kit, Arcane Signet Ring, Black Iron Drakescale Armor +2, Earthroot Staff +2
RITUALS
Hand of Fate, Animal Messenger, Brew Potion, Simbul's Conversion, Unseen Servant, Wizard's Curtain, Tree Shape, Summon Winds, Commune With Nature, Cure Disease, Magic Circle, Transfer Enchantment, Enchant Magic Item, Pyrotechnics
FORMULAS
Drowsy Dust, Antivenom, Clearsense Powder, Tanglefoot Bag, Bloodstinger Poison

Interesting. Malediction invoker's kinda interesting, but I would have guessed Warlock would offer more sinister witchery. I mean really, what defines 'witch' here? Are we talking random forest creepy woman style, or pointy-hat-broomstick style, or 'I resent my Christian parents and think pentagrams look cool' style?

Maybe Blair Witch? Sneaky, spooky, commands spirits and instills fear?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Interesting. Malediction invoker's kinda interesting, but I would have guessed Warlock would offer more sinister witchery. I mean really, what defines 'witch' here? Are we talking random forest creepy woman style, or pointy-hat-broomstick style, or 'I resent my Christian parents and think pentagrams look cool' style?

Maybe Blair Witch? Sneaky, spooky, commands spirits and instills fear?
I have dated witches of a couple sort ;-).
There are harry potter influences too these days and
Sure warlocks certainly possible... kind of an easy route to spooky...
but anyone with magic dripping in the flavor... some feats to make your magic have a spookier cast can also help.
And like the moon and nature goddess worshipper ... Power of madness
and I like the natural familiars cat /raven / serpent /owl and I like the brewing celtic power in cauldron and I like herbalism(alchemy)...

Independently wondering whether the Potterverse could be done with D&D :lol:

DracoSuave

First Post
Well, I mean "warlock" -means- a specific type of witch...

I digress.

Depends on the idea.

Malediction Invoker? Great idea.

But also Shaman and Druid for those 'I summon the evil ones' and 'I cast off my skin' type witches.

I agree with Warlock. Vestige Pact for the 'I got more curses then I got satanic verses' style, but Fey Pact for the 'Kinder, Gentler sort of evil curse machine.'

Psion might be good if you want to be a master of Headology. (points for getting that reference)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My witch isn't as intimidating as I would like .... just tried Cosmic Sorceror... made him a poisoner for multiclass.... kind of fun. Gave him talon amulet spiderkissed dagger and Staff of the Serpent. Moon themed powers. Alchemy. Subtlety of the Green Worm ... to charm or frighten or annoy(with sorcerous high charisma this one ought to put arcane fear in to quivering masses.)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Warlock witches...
I am sure they are a good option or are intended to be... but something didn't quite fit for my personal iconography... could somebody post one that feels cool to them?

DracoSuave

First Post
Warlock witches...
I am sure they are a good option or are intended to be... but something didn't quite fit for my personal iconography... could somebody post one that feels cool to them?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Selene, level 6
Human, Warlock
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Constitution
Eldritch Pact: Vestige Pact
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (light blade group)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 19, Dex 13, Int 17, Wis 11, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 11, Cha 10.

AC: 19 Fort: 19 Reflex: 19 Will: 16
HP: 56 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +8, Thievery +9, Religion +11, Insight +8, Arcana +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +7, Heal +3, History +6, Nature +3, Perception +3, Stealth +4, Streetwise +3, Athletics +2

FEATS
Human: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 1: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 2: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 4: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 6: Implement Expertise (Light Blade)

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Dire Radiance
Warlock encounter 1: Life Bind
Warlock daily 1: Vestige of Mount Vaelis
Warlock utility 2: Fiendish Resilience
Warlock encounter 3: Vestige's Calamity
Warlock daily 5: Vestige of Xandor
Warlock utility 6: Red Leeches of Nihal

ITEMS
Vicious Dagger +2, Sacrificial Dagger +2, Deathcut Leather Armor +1, Amulet of Physical Resolve +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Mind you, feats and such can be peppered to taste, this is just a damaging example.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The new tv series on abc has 3 witches one is definitely an invoker... another is a psion maybe (head games afoot) and the other is a prescentient bard (not music but other art form).

Eric Finley

First Post
In the game I'm starting up for my daughter's friends, one wanted to play a fairy witch, and we're reskinning a Deva Druid (Primal Guardian) to do it. Pretty solid; beast form is more of a flavour add than anything, her primary attacks are all Guardian-type ranged controller powers. I've given her the option of Wand instead of Totem, but so far she's happy with staff anyway.

Remove ads