The Second Age [4e PoL campaign]

Jack99

Adventurer
Did Elron come back as himself or as revenant?
Was wondering since he made quite the trip back to the party.
And how did you do that situation in group, did you pull him aside to tell him what was happening right after he died or did he just think he was dead during the rest of the combat?

Nah, he thought he was gone for sure. Especially since Raise doesn't exist as a ritual in my campaign. But after the fight, I told the players that there would be one plot-related weird ressurction in my campaign, and that it was now up to the player in question to decide if he wanted to take it. He made a big show and considered it for a while, but I think there was never any doubt, he would have taken it. Perhaps as one of the few.

As for the Revenant part, I thought about it, but rejected the idea. There will be other consequences though ;)

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Jack, are you using one weird res per player, or just one per campaign? I know as a player, especially in a campaign that has seen so much death already, I'd be a little miffed if someone blew the parties only res on a 4th level character.

Jack99

Adventurer
Jack, are you using one weird res per player, or just one per campaign? I know as a player, especially in a campaign that has seen so much death already, I'd be a little miffed if someone blew the parties only res on a 4th level character.

It is supposed to be once per campaign. This doesn't mean that there won't be any other resurrections, just this will be the only inexplicable one. As for the others being pissed off, I do not think so. I know my players fairly well. But there is a chance I might have misjudged them, so I will take a talk with them about my decision and see what they think.

Cheers

Jack99

Adventurer
Mansday 28th Nauvambor, Year 599 (continued)
The fight against the drow was short and brutal. Especially the magic powers of one of the drows caused the Fists some problems, but luckily for them, no one fell to the drow poison used by the other drow. The drows had nothing which could indicate what in Pelor's name they were doing out of the Underdark, but the Fists did manage to salvage some drow poison and a couple of House Insignias.
[sblock=Comments]The drow fight was yet another fight where I took level 10+ monsters, took 5 levels off, and made them elite in order to use them against lower level opponents. It really works decently, but the fight became too easy as it was supposed to be 3 drow against 5 players. One player got delayed and I only got word very late, so I downgraded the encounter to 2 drows against 4 players. Not quite such a big hazzle. It did still serve it's primary purpose, which is to make the players wonder what the hell is happening, with mindflayers and drow running around on the surface. A sort of a foreshadowing of things to come.[/sblock]

Onsday 30th Nauvambor, Year 599

A couple of days later, the Golden Fists arrived at Laketown. At the gate, they were welcomed by a handful of guards, led by a fellow named Bob. Bob informed the Fists that they were to pay an adventurer-tax, or rather, that they had to deposit 50 gp per person at the gate in the advent that they would destroy something. Too often had adventurers visited Laketown and left it again with buildings or other things destroyed. They were also informed that drawing ones weapon was illegal and that squatting in one of the many empty houses would be dealt with harshly. In general, Bob and the other guards seemed very proud of living in the only democratic town in Draegor.

The Golden Fists immediately made their way down the main street, asking around for the Massis. They were directed down to the harbor, where they met up with Jonathan Massi. He knew nothing of a medallion, but promised to relay their questions to the patriarch of the family, Leo Massi. He suggested that they take some rooms at the Golden Pheasant, a nearby inn.

While waiting, Arpametan spent most of the day brewing some of the new potions he had learned to make. The others did as little as possible.
[sblock=Comments]Since I do not play magic items and magic item creation by the book, I have had to figure out what to do with potions. At first, it was easy. Remove any requirement on potions, except that you can only have 1 potion in your body per encounter, or you risk something bad (and explosive) happening, just like in 2e. But then one of my players asked if he could take brew potion, because he kinda liked the vibe and feel it gave his character. I said yes of course, but had no idea on how to handle it, without unbalancing things.

Then, after having killed a Wyvern, the player asked if he could harvest some stuff from the monster, ingredients for making potions. So we rolled some harvesting checks (Arcana and nature) and he acquired something usable. Which led me to the current system.

With brew potion, you can make magical potions. You start with no recipes, but can acquire more, either by finding out by yourself, or buying them. A potion has a base residuum price, and some required monster ingredients. For example, Arpametan has some white dragon blood, which he discovered can be used to make cold resist potions, potions of dragon breath or cryo-potions (that freezes the target), depending on how much dragon blood is used. So basically, what we do is that each time he harvest a new monster, we roll some checks to see how much he gets. Then, when the character has had some downtime and been able to experiment and research a bit, we roll some more checks and I make up some new potions that he can make.

Balanced or not, I have no idea. I control how many ingredients he can acquire, so in that regard, there is some degree of control, but we will see how it pans out. I personally like how it adds more to an otherwise boring as hell potion-making system.[/sblock]

Torsday 1st Deecambor, Year 599
On the next day, they were contacted by a member of the Massi-family's staff, and brought to the huge Massi mansion, which occupied a significant area of the north-westernmost part of town, down by the lake. There they met with Leo Massi. As it turns out, he knew the medallion of which they spoke, but it became clear he had no intention of selling it, and no intention of just handing it over for nothing. He did have a suggestion. His much younger wife, Victoria, had recently been behaving oddly, slipping out at night on unknown business. He wanted to know what was up. If she was whoring around, he wanted proof, so that a divorce would become much cheaper for him. A much easier job than they expected.

They left soon after, and spent the day making plans. At night, they spread out, covering all possible exits. But no one came out.

Lordday 3rd Deecambor, Year 599

They spent the day sleeping and waiting for night to come. Just like the two previous nights, they spread out and staked out the Massi mansion. Finally something happened. During the darkest hours, a robed figure slipped out of the mansion grounds and headed towards the harbor. The Fists got a hold of one another, and followed the figure.

Down at the harbor, it entered one of the empty houses. After waiting a bit, River decided to follow it inside. Using his new magical armor to turn into a mouse, he quickly found a hole in the wall and entered the house. And almost got stepped on, as the robed figure was heading out again.

The robed figure moved up through the ware-house area and entered one of the warehouses. The Fists snuck in after the figure and found themselves in a warehouse full of boxes, kegs and other assorted containers. But no robed figure anywhere. As they were searching, a door was opened and a torch tossed inside. River made it out by reflex alone, just as the building blew up. Soon they were swarmed by fanatic cultists and robed spellcasters. The fight was tough, but in the end, the Fists all stood alive while the Orcus cultists were dead. No trace of the original robed figure though.

The Fists quickly returned to the house, to see what was there. All they found was trace of a ritual being cast in the room where the figure had been. They then ran back to the mansion, to be there when the robed figure returned. But no one came.

Sonday 4th Deecambor, Year 599
The next night, the Fists once again surveilled the Massi mansion. Once again, the robed figure slipped out of the grounds and headed towards the harbor. The Fists got together and followed it. Just as they decided to attack it, it turned up and headed into the ware-house area again. As the Fists tried to catch it, they were once again ambushed, and this time the cultists had brought a big red angry demon.

The fight was rough, and especially the demon, which seemed to get aroused by the sight of blood, was positively lethal. But it was still sent back to the Abyss by Paavu, well helped by the healing of Elron.

[sblock=Comments]I often talk a lot about making players happy, that it is not my campaign, but our (the group's) campaign. And I do mean it. This also means that I might, in the near future, need to compromise on some of my ideas. Several in fact.

First of all, it seems my players loved playing the epic part of my last campaign, so I have promised them that this one will stretch into epic play as well.

Second of all, I also wanted to stretch things, so that leveling wouldn't happen quite so often as during my last campaign (22 level ups in 64 sessions), but I am starting to get the feeling that my players would prefer the leveling up to happen more often. Like before. Since we do not use XP; it's not hard to turn the progression up.

Last but not least, there is the issue of no magic item creation. But I am not quite there yet, since I think its mostly one of the players who is not perfectly happy with my restrictions there. But as always, we will evaluate and see if there is a better solution.

Because playing D&D should be fun for everyone at the table ;)[/sblock]

Jack99

Adventurer
Sonday 4th Deecambor, Year 599 (continued)
After killing the cultists and the demon, but losing the trail of the robed figure, the Golden Fists were once again very unsure of what to do. They discussed several possibilities, from faking their own death to going undercover. They simply did not trust anyone. In the end, they decided to keep watching the mansion at night and try to gather some intelligence on Victoria Massi. As they found out, there were a lot of rumors surrounding the lady, but nothing conclusive. It might as well just be the typical rumors that stick to the very rich.

Mansday 5th Deecambor, Year 599
They once again spent the day chilling in an empty house. At some point, River made some rounds at the harbor and tried to find a place where poison could be bought, but he apparently didn't ask the right questions, because he was met with blank stares all the way around.

The nightly stakeout was unsuccessful. No robed figure.

Tirsday 6th Deecambor, Year 599
Arpametan visited the Pelor church and learned that there is an Orcus (un)holy day coming up the following sunday (11th Deecambor).

Onsday 7th Deecambor, Year 599
Arpametan spent the day buying and scribing rituals, and then testing his new Seek Rumor-ritual. Worked fairly well.

Torsday 8th Deecambor, Year 599

Freeday 9th Deecambor, Year 599

They got the idea of visiting the Master of Housing. After bribing him, they learned that Massi had 6 warehouses that had been empty for a while. They decided to check them out.

Using the shapeshifting ability of River, it was quite easy to enter the warehouses.

In the second warehouse examined, they found a hidden cellar entrance. They decided to return later and check it out. After nightfall, they returned and went in.

Down in the cellar, they found a secret entrance to an underground area. Down there, they found a huge torture and prison chamber, filled with Orcus art, as well as a young catatonic boy. Beyond the torture chamber was a temple. There they found themselves facing what turns out to be the local Orcus high priest, Victoria and some ghouls.

The two Orcus priests proved to be grim foes, both wielding magic capable of utterly zapping a person of the will to live. Luckily for the heroes, no one succumbed to their fell magic, and soon the evil cult leaders and their undead abominations were all dead.

As the Golden Fists searched the room and the dead bodies, more cultists arrived. Apparently not all had been present when the Fists had penetrated their sanctuary. The fight was short and furious, and while Paavu was out for a few moments, no Fists were in danger of dieing, mostly because the Fists managed to hide and ambush the hapless cultists as they entered their temple to investigate why a magical trap had been set off.

With a few cultists who surrendered and the dead body of Victoria Massi, the Golden Fists returned to the mansion of Leo Massi to deliver the news. As it turns out, it was not a huge surprise. With the wife gone missing for days, one of her maidens had confessed that she often met with a man named Samuli. Massi had had a little "talk" with Samuli, and learned of the Orcus connection. Unfortunately Samuli had died before he could reveal where the hideout was. Massi had tried to find the Golden Fists, but because they had been hiding in an abandoned house instead of staying at the inn as planned, he had not been able to contact them.

None the less, they agreed to go to the tomb of his grandfather the next morning, as that was where the medallion was.
[Sblock=Comments]My players so did not follow the plan this time. I thought they would follow the trail of breadcrums, but instead, they took matters into their own hands, and still ended up finding the Orcus hide-out. It might not be much to you guys, but I love when my players take charge and think outside the box instead of following whatever clues the DM has provided. Of course, this caused the encounters to happen in reverse order, but that is more than okay. Too often players expect the last encounter to be the hardest, so once in a while, when they run into the hardest the first, they are less ready, and things can potentially get more interesting.[/sblock]
Lordday 10th Deecambor, Year 599
After staying the night at the palace, the Fists accompanied Leo Massi and his guards to the family mausoleum the next morning. But the medallion was gone. Massi was furious and apologetic, and promised that if they could find the medallion, they could keep it.

The Fists decided that it was probably the Sons of Winter that were behind the theft. Arpametan cast another seek rumor ritual, and learned that there had been an increased activity of the Sons in Laketown the last couple of months.

At night, they all went and grabbed a room at the Golden Pheasant.

Sonday 11th Deecambor, Year 599
Suddenly in the middle of the night, they were woken up by Arpametan. "We have to go, now". "I was just forced to reveal to an ice-cold red-eye person where the chest is".

Eladimir

First Post
City Puzzles

City puzzles have always been a really tricky part of the D&D to me. I've only ever seen them as a player but they tend to be from my experience blantanly obvious or extremely difficult.

Glad this one seems like it fell into the middle. Difficult but not frustrating.
The problem is the DM has a plan in his head of questions if you asked or places that you look that would provide addtional clues.

If the players aren't in that same head space then you can quickly become roadblocked.

Jack99

Adventurer
Sonday 11th Deecambor, Year 599 (continued)
After being awakened by Arpametan, the Golden Fists rushed down and acquired 5 horses and headed north towards the hut of Zanex.

On the way to the hut, they ran into a lot of cockatrices, but no one was turned to stone and the Fists were soon on their way again.

Just before reaching the hut, they ran into those they were pursuing. 8 Sons of Winter and a carriage. It seemed like a walkover, until a platemail-wearing vampire wielding a nastylooking mace came out of the carriage and joined the fight. He was here and there and everywhere, and quickly the Golden Fists realized that they might not make it away from this fight alive. It looked bad, but they were still in the fight until Arpametan was killed and his summoned dust devil went medieval on the other Fists. Down Elron went, then Wreck, then Lucan and last but not least, River. There was just no way of dealing with both the vampire and the dust devil gone rogue...

R.I.P. Golden Fists

Yeah, that was not quite the plan...

The vampire was a solo, and the fight was just to hard. :):):):) happens.

Feedback suggested the players enjoyed the campaign, although we will be removing the no-rez clause for the next campaign. Since my campaigns are already plenty lethal, there is no need to make it even more hard.

Next campaign will be starting on Tuesday, so I am a bit in a hurry to come up with something ><

Thanks for reading...

honeybunch

First Post
It's a shame about the TPK. I guess that's the downside of lethal campaigns. Of course, the upside is that they're generally more exciting.

I look forward to reading about your next campaign, hopefully.

ShadowBite

First Post
Is there a link to the new campaign that you've been playing? I've really enjoyed reading the Epic Virgin thread and this one. Thanks for sharing.

Jack99

Adventurer
Is there a link to the new campaign that you've been playing? I've really enjoyed reading the Epic Virgin thread and this one. Thanks for sharing.
There is no thread on the new campaign. I still blog about it for my players (resume and comments) but decided for various reasons to not post a version on ENworld. Thanks for the interest though.

Remove ads