The Shackled City Pregame Thread

MarkCsigs

First Post
Thanks. I've played around with the site a little and I think I've got a handle on it ... but it's off to work, now so I'll try to start the character tonight. Already have some nifty ideas ... :D

themind

Explorer
There is some info you should know then. The dieties that play a prominent role in the area ar St. Cuthbert, Pelor, Kord, and Wee Jas.

As soon as someone emails me the info back that I sent them, I will send it to you.

Could someone please send it to me?

MarkCsigs

First Post
The Vicar

Description: Small and thin for a human, but deceptively quick. Thinning, whispy black hair, sunken cheeks but a strong chin. Piercing eyes. Wears a lot of dark colors; typically studded leather armor of a very dark brown under a heavy black cloak. Wears a wide-brimmed, black leather hat. The holy symbol of polished silver around his neck stands out like a beacon against all the dark colors.

Mannerisms: Speaks softly under normal circumstances, but can become fiery and intense. Tends to refer to himself as "The Vicar" in the third person when agitated. Has a hacking cough that always seems to return, even if cured.

Player: MarkCsigs
Name: The Vicar (a.k.a. Arik Hammill)
Race: Human
Class: Cleric 1 ( of St. Cuthbert)
Exp.: 0
Align.: Lawful Neutral

Dice rolls found here: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?u=The Vicar&limit=on

Str 11 (+0)
Dex 13 (+1)
Con 9 (-1)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 16 (+3)
Cha 12 (+1)

HP: 7
AC: 16, FF 15, Touch 11 (+3 armor, +1 dex, +2 Shield)
Init: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Init. feat)
BAB: +0
Speed: 20' (base 30’)

Fort: +1 (+2 base, -1 Con)
Ref: +1 ( +0 base, +1 Dex)
Will: +5 ( +2 base, +3 Wis)

Attacks
Heavy Mace +0 (1-8, x2)
Sling +1 (1-4, x2, range 50')

Feats
Improved Initiative
Augment Healing

Class Abilities:
Spontanious cast
Turn Undead D20+1 turning check (cha mod), 2d6+2 turning damage
Aura
Domains: Law, Protection

Languages:
Common
Abyssal
Infernal
Draconic

Skills:
Appraise: 2 (+2 Int)
Balance: -2 (+1 Dex, -3 Armor and Shield)
Bluff: +1 (+1 Cha)
Climb: -3 (+0 Str, -3 Armor and Shield)
*Concentration: +3 (-1 Con, 4 Ranks)
Diplomacy: +1 (+1 Cha)
Disguise: +1 (+1 Cha)
Escape Artist: -2 (+1 Dex, -3 Armor and Shield)
Forgery: +2 (+2 Int)
Gather Info: +1 (+1 Cha)
Handle Animal: +1 (1 cha)
*Heal: +7 (+3 Wis, 4 Ranks)
Hide: -2 (+1 Dex, -3 Armor and Shield)
Intimidate: +1 (+1 Cha)
Jump: -3 (+0 Str, -3 Armor and Shield)
*K(arcana): +3 (1 rank, +2 int)
*K(history): +3 (1 rank, +2 int)
*K(local): +3 (2 cross-class ranks, +2 int)
*K(planes): +4 (2 ranks, +2 int)
*K(religion): +6 (4 ranks, +2 int)
Listen: +3 (+3 Wisdom)
Move Silently: -2 (+1 Dex, -3 Armor and Shield)
Ride: +1 (+1 Dex)
Search: +2 (+2 Int)
Sense Motive: +3 (3 Wis)
*Speak Language (Draconic)
*Spellcraft: +3 (1 rank, +2 int)
Spot: +3 (+3 Wisdom)
Survival: +3 (+3 Wisdom)
Swim: -alot (+0 Str, -1 acp, plus weight)
Use Rope: +1 (+1 dex)

Equipment
(39 - 76 lbs = med. load)
total weight: 63 lbs

Studded Leather Armor 20
Heavy Wooden Shield 10

Heavy Mace 8
Sling & 10 bullets 5

Backpack - 2
Flint & Steel – 0 lbs
10 candles- in pack - 1
2 torches-in pack - 2
4 days trail rations - in pack - 4
Prayer book - in pack (if not in hand) - 1

2 belt pouches- on belt 1
1 chalk- in left belt pouch - 0
1 holy water - in left belt pouch 1

Silver Holy Symbol -around neck 1
Bedroll - 5 lbs, tied to pack
Waterskin - 2 lb, over shoulder

remaining money 11 gp, 5 sp, 4 cp in right belt pouch

Spells per day: 0:3 1:2+1 Domains: Protection and Law
Preped:
0: Detect Magic, Light, Guidance (save dc 13)
1: Bless, Command (save dc 14), *Sanctuary

Backstory:
(themind -- I tried to make a backstory that was interesting and had some connections to the current story line ... if there are too many connections, let me know).

Arik Hammill was born to a poor mother in a village not far from Cauldron. A small and sickly child, many predicted he would never live a year ... but survive he did into a feisty and passionate young boy (despite a lingering cough that never seems to go away for long ...). His father, she assured him was a brave mercenary warrior who was travelling off to far lands in search of adventure and treasure. Arik had great fantasies of his father one day returning with great jewels and magics that would save him and his mother from poverty. It wasn't until much older that Arik realized these fantasies, and any notion of romance between his parents was probably very naive ...

Arik's mother was both strict and loving with her son, and worked hard as a seamstress to support them both. Although they lived in a poor village, her skills and reputation began to grow. Her crowning achievement was a gown which she worked on for nearly a year. She entered it in a local fair and was delighted when it took first prize. A haughty and spoiled daughter of a powerful merchant offered to buy it, but Arik's mother refused, as the girl became more angry and beligerient. "I'll sell this dress to no one ..." she proudly told her son, who was in his early teens by now. "instead, 'twill be a gift for the lady who catches your fancy enough to marry!"

Unfortunately that night, as Arik was out earning his copper helping the lamplighter, someone broke into their home ... the dress was gone and his poor mother lay gasping for life. Unsure of how to help her, he ran to the local temple ... but the priest was still at the fair enjoying the wine a little too much. By the time Arik could get him to stagger over, it was too late to save his mother. Her last gasp was the name of the merchant's daughter.

Arik the once cheerful boy became sullen and serious after the death of his mother. The one solace that he took, is that justice would at least be served for the merchant's daughter. He was stunned, however when the local law decided to look the other way and blamed the crime on wandering thieves. No one was ever arrested. Not even when the girl flaunted her victory by wearing the very same gown to fashionable events ...

Feeling badly that he let down Arik and his mother, the priest took the boy in as his ward and began teaching him priestly ways. But Arik's anger and resentment prevented him from being a good pupil and eventually he ran away to Cauldron.

Arik skulked around Cauldron for a while as a vagrant, begging and scrounging and sometimes using his meager healing skills on those too poor to afford magical aid ... but not without a bit of preaching about mending their ways. It was here that some of the other homeless began referring to him as "The Vicar", a nickname which he now prefers. He did not stay in the streets very long ... between his basic priestly teachings and his deep need for law and an inner thirst for vengeance, he eventually drifted into service at the Church of St. Cuthbert.

He has worked dutifully for the church, and has found a thirst for knowledge and for obscure languagues. He hasn't forgotten his past, however and is especially keen to help those who have been victimized by people who have abused their power and thought themselves above the law. He has no tolerance for bullies. He also has a soft spot for children without parents, and has often volunteered to help at the orphanage.

Last edited:

themind

Explorer
Looks good although your Fort save should be +1 not +2.

Also,

[sblock]I have the perfect person for the noble person. Cora Lathenmire. Her family is the prime arms and armor merchants in Cauldron. Heh, I have a great side plot for you when the time comes.

Anyways, when you get the chance you may post in the game. here is your introduction:

You've been away for a few days down in Redgorge gettins some supplies for the Orphanage. You have only just returned and found out that 4 children were kidnapped. When in audience with Jenya, acting Head Priestess while Sarcem Delasharn is away, she explains whats happened. She's hired a group of adventurers to find the children. She had recieved word from the Church of Pelor that they have entered the runes of Gnome outpost, Jzaridune. Unfortunately, also, she also recieved word that one of the adventurers, Frian Blutok, is needed in Sassarine.

She would like you to bring word to Blutok so he may leave as soon as possible. And she would like to aid the others in his place. She gives you directions to Ghelve's Locks, where the entrance to Jzaridune is and wishes you Good Luck. She als gives you a Potion of Cure moderate Wounds.[/sblock]

themind

Explorer
So, is there anyone interested in taking Rapida's spot? THe spot is open and the first responce I get will be the one who gets in.

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
o_O lol... I have been AFK for a long while, but now can talk again, I shall roll up a character.

Im thinking either bard or sorcerer, but I wish I could be a new class from magic of incarnum. X_X (that is a really cool new system for magic)

GR out~

Remove ads