D&D 5E The Shadow Sorcery! Is It the most powerful class at high levels?

Hohige

Explorer
Returning to the Sorcerer discussion, I think they share one major thing with Rangers in terms of disappointing people: too many levels where you don't get anything exciting; to much waiting for that level X where they will become worthwhile. Which is why I'll actually say that if anything the Shadow Sorcerer is not powerful enough at level 18. They had a long slog to the top and deserve the rewards.

Well... I don't think so... Look
At level 7. He can cast Twin Polymorph to turn 2 allies into a Giant Ape and still use Hound III Omem as bonus action.
Well, It's incredible strong... The hound also apply disadvantage against his spells and you can cast it each turn, multiples hounds...

Hohige

Explorer
Correction. You are not invulnerable. You are resistant. Invulnerable you take zero damage. Resistant you take half. Which is still damage.
You are invulnerable if you are inside a wall for Total cover. Resistent is just an extra bonus.

Incorrect. While you regain 1 hp at the start of your turn you can still fail death saves while you are unconscious and die as a result of that.

Damage at 0 Hit Points: If you take any damage while you have 0 hit points, you suffer a death saving throw failure. If the damage is from a critical hit, you suffer two failures instead.

While you are unconscious any hit against you within 5 feet of you is an automatic critical so once you go down only 2 hits are required to kill you outright regardless of damage and regeneration.
Additionally, once you go unconscious you become incapacitated. When you are incapacitated you lose Umbral Form.

I couldn't agree more. It's right.

Azuresun

Adventurer
Well. It's the Point.

The Shadow Sorcerer moves through walls and distant spell gives him position advantage over enemies. Because you are just out your spell' range but the sorcerer isn't.

Because he somehow has perfect knowledge of where every enemy is while blind from being inside a solid object.

"Foolish mortals! Nobody can stop the SORCERER KI--hey, where did everyone go? Come on, come back, guys, this was gonna be really cool but you're ruining it, man!"

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Well. It's the Point.

The Shadow Sorcerer moves through walls and distant spell gives him position advantage over enemies. Because you are just out your spell' range but the sorcerer isn't.
He can simply move out of the enemy's range and cast a spell.
Or simply use counterspell.
Position advantage is key here.

But, I really don't believe there is any spell or attack that could threaten the shadow wizard.
Also, remember with readied attack you can't apply extra attack.

Why is everyone so far away from the wall again?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
The Shadow Sorcerer can choose your position with Extended Ethrealness and Umbral form to keep inside inside walls, ground,etc to wreack havoc against enemies.
If you are in close range, the subtle counterspell always wins.
Not very well. The sorcerer will only have sight range of 60 with Eternalness on. And if you really want to blow some sorc points on making that 8 hour spell extended, be my guest?

And as you can't cast spells at anyone while inside an object as you would not be able to see your targets, you would have to be just standing there in the open. And yay? You counterspelled one spell, maybe? As there are limitations to doing that. If there are more than one caster you are against, you are ducked.

Hohige

Explorer
Not very well. The sorcerer will only have sight range of 60 with Eternalness on. And if you really want to blow some sorc points on making that 8 hour spell extended, be my guest?

And as you can't cast spells at anyone while inside an object as you would not be able to see your targets, you would have to be just standing there in the open. And yay? You counterspelled one spell, maybe? As there are limitations to doing that. If there are more than one caster you are against, you are ducked.

Extended Etherealness is pretty good and the flavour is amazing. It's incredible effective for seeking and sneaking for 16 hour, also pretty amazing for regaining resources. 1 sorc point only
It allows the sorcerer stay there and choose the best way to prepare an ambush.

If is needed more than one caster to challenge the shadow sorcerer, the shadow sorcerer already wins.

Whatever, It doesn't care about more than one caster.

The Black Hole Combo is devasting.

60ft, move a little to go out the enemy counterspell range.

Simulacrum's Action: for reappear
Simulacrum's bonus action: Quicken Reverse Gravity (100ft) (No save)

Shadow Sorcerer's Action: for reappear
Shadow Sorcerer's Bonus action: Quicken Wish to duplicate Dark Star (150ft).

Well the enemies casters are DUCKED. No, The party is dead.

Move speed to go inside walls.

It's over.

The Shadow Sorcerer has many ways to defeat the enemy with impunity.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
The Shadow Sorcerer can literally defeat a level 20 party with a single turn, The Black Hole Combo

Attachments

• 1596972707134.png
    1596972707134.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 130

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases