• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Shadowcaster -weak?

The shadowcaster is weak

• Strongly agree

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Agree

Votes: 66 36.1%
  • In the middle/don't know

Votes: 73 39.9%
  • Disagree

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Strongly disagree

Votes: 5 2.7%

Nifft said:
Well, the feat has two effects: one is that it grants the Dark template (which is cool, but not quite worth a Feat by itself), and the other is that your familiar benefits from all arcane casting classes (which is also not quite worth a Feat by itself).

True enough. I was only thinking of it in terms of the dark template; I'd actually forgotten about it allowing all the caster levels to stack.

Still, I think you could get away with it. I've rarely seen a game where allowing a multiclass character's familiar to keep up with the character's levels was game-breaking. ;)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ari: A couple of questions on the Shadow Magic PrCs, if you have a minute.

1/ The Shadowblade gets 2 skill points/level, but it looks like a skill based class (3/4 BAB, Sudden Strike). Was that your intent?

2/ The Shadowcrafter gets 6 skill points/level, but it looks like a melee based class (full BAB, high BAB prereq). Was that your intent?

3/ The Master of Shadow says it can advance a spellcasting class, but the prereq is Mystery-user only. Do you think it would be balanced to allow a Wizard to take this class?

Thanks, -- N

Nifft said:
Ari: A couple of questions on the Shadow Magic PrCs, if you have a minute.

1/ The Shadowblade gets 2 skill points/level, but it looks like a skill based class (3/4 BAB, Sudden Strike). Was that your intent?

The shadowblade changed a lot in development. I honestly don't remember, at this point, how my initial turnover might have differed.

2/ The Shadowcrafter gets 6 skill points/level, but it looks like a melee based class (full BAB, high BAB prereq). Was that your intent?

Yes. The high skill points fit the class concept as I envisioned it, and help to keep it balanced. If you think of it as more like a ranger (in terms of comparison to core classes) than a fighter, that might help.

3/ The Master of Shadow says it can advance a spellcasting class, but the prereq is Mystery-user only. Do you think it would be balanced to allow a Wizard to take this class?

I wouldn't allow it for flavor reasons, but I don't think it would necessarily be unbalanced in a mechanical sense.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Mouseferatu said:
Yes. The high skill points fit the class concept as I envisioned it, and help to keep it balanced. If you think of it as more like a ranger (in terms of comparison to core classes) than a fighter, that might help.

I wouldn't allow it for flavor reasons, but I don't think it would necessarily be unbalanced in a mechanical sense.

Cool. The two concepts I like are sound. Thanks! -- N

Thomas Percy

First Post
Thanks, Ari, for the answers.

I have another question, maybe silly, but it probably WILL happen when the PCs confront BigBadGuyNoctumancer: What will happen when a PC imprisoned in the Tomb (or Prison) of Night Shapechanges to size bigger than H, into the dragon exactly?

Thomas Percy

First Post
I must to say, that i will buy for this BigBadGuyNoctumancer Favored Mystery feat to make hihgest level mysteries supernaturals and don't bother with SR of the PCs.

Thomas Percy said:
I have another question, maybe silly, but it probably WILL happen when the PCs confront BigBadGuyNoctumancer: What will happen when a PC imprisoned in the Tomb (or Prison) of Night Shapechanges to size bigger than H, into the dragon exactly?

Hmm... I thought there was a rule for what happens if a creature tries to polymorph/shapechange into something for which there is insufficient room, but I'm not finding it. Let me look into it a bit more--and give it some further thought, if I can't find any such blanket rule--and I'll get back to you.

beepeearr

First Post
Quick question foe Ari. How powerful are the Mysteries intended to be compared to regular spells of the same level. Are they intended to be equal, or more powerful. I know the fundamentals are supposed to be, but wasn't sure about the Mysteries.

As far as some of the changes go. I'm not a huge fan of the floating mystery use. Why not grant a new mystery known for higher ability scores (with the normal number of uses per day tied to it).

Also not sure about the changes to the path/ feat dynamic as well, it was one of the nice quirks of the old system you traded power for flexibility and feats, know you are trading flexibility for specialization and feats. I understand the why, just not sure if I like it yet.

You are dead on about the power lag at certain levels, before the rapid catch up at others. I changed up the Mystery uses per day progression and advancement to spell-like and supernatural ability progressions so that each spell level advanced at different levels instead of all 3 levels (1-3, 4-6, 7-9) advancing at once.

I'm sure I'm problably the only one this bothers, but one of the quirks of the Shadowcaster that really bugs me is that as you grow more powerful, you lose the ability to counter the spells of lower level Shadowcasters. It just seems wrong that as your spells become more and more inate, you lose the ability to do things like counterspell with them.

schatten-k.raehe

First Post
Thomas Percy said:

Hm... Actually there are two aspects to take into account:

1st: Prison of Night / Tomb of Night affects one creature of up to Huge size. Does the spell still affect the target if it becomes bigger than Huge?

I'd say, as the target was 'legal' (<= Huge) at the time the spell was cast, the spell stays in effect, even when the size of the creature changes later.
[It's like entering a room. If you enter the room through an open door you're in and it doesn't matter if somebody closes (and locks) the door later as you already are in.]

[Edit: The official FAQ seems to follow my reasoning:

official D&D FAQ said:
If, while under the effect of a spell that depends on type (such as hold person), my character is transformed into a different creature type by polymorph*, does the spell’s effect remain?
Yes. A spell only checks to see if you are a legal target when it is cast. If you become an illegal target later (such as via the polymorph spell), the spell remains in effect.

Guess you can apply that to the size-issue analogically.]

2nd: As the spells create some sort of actual 'prison' from shadowstuff, is there a chance of breaking that prison by becoming a creature bigger than the prison itself?

Like Ari I was quite sure the was a rule about what happens if a creature breaks confines of a room by shapechanging, but I'm at a total loss finding it.

However as Prison / Tomb of Night create some sort of 'mystical' prison out of shadow stuff and nothing physical (e.g. conjuring a prison made of stone), you shouldn't be able to break it (or else you would also be able to damage it by other means, e.g. hitting the prison with bludgeoning weapons). In the spell description a specific size of the 'prison' is not given, either.
Thus one approach would be to allow the shapchange with the spell remaining in effect, because the prison now kind of 'adjusts' to the new size (it's made of shadow stuff after all, and shadows can be quite flexible ;) ).
To acknowledge the creativity of the player, the approach I'd take, however, would be to allow the shapechanging player another Fortitude save (or maybe even an opposed caster level check) to break out of the prison, out of the row. If successful, the shapechanged player breaks the prison.

[As you begin to change shape you feel the grip of your shadowy prison tighten around you - The shadows flicker in an last attempt to hold you in their cold embrace, but finally they give away and fade into nothingness. You are free.]

If not successful the 'prison' suppresses the shapechange attempt and the spell remains in effect.

[As you begin to change shape you feel the grip of your shadowy prison tighten around you. The shadows seem to drain the arcane power from you and finally an overhelming exhaustion forces you to end the shapechangeing attempt. The shadows proof to be too powerful for your puny attempt to challenge them. You remain a prisoner to the darkness.]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads