• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Shadowcaster -weak?

The shadowcaster is weak

• Strongly agree

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Agree

Votes: 66 36.1%
  • In the middle/don't know

Votes: 73 39.9%
  • Disagree

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Strongly disagree

Votes: 5 2.7%

Cadfan

First Post
I might as well use this thread to ask some questions.

1) The feat "Still Mystery" tells us what a stilled mystery is like, but it doesn't give a number of uses per day. I presumed upon reading it that it was a poorly worded attempt at making all mysteries that are cast as spells stilled, automatically and permanently, after taking the feat, thus making armor a viable choice for the shadowcaster. Can anyone (Mouseferatu) tell me if Still Mystery was intended to be used once per day, like the other metashadow feats?

2) If you have Hide in Plain Sight, do you still need cover or concealment?

3) If you have partial cover or partial concealment, do you still need Hide in Plain Sight?

4) Are there any rules on exactly when full concealment negates the need to even make a hide check?

5) The specific combinations that confuse me are: Dusk and Dawn on its own, Dusk and Dawn plus a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, Dancing Shadows on its own, and Dancing Shadows plus a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis.

schatten-k.raehe

First Post
Cadfan said:
1) The feat "Still Mystery" tells us what a stilled mystery is like, but it doesn't give a number of uses per day. I presumed upon reading it that it was a poorly worded attempt at making all mysteries that are cast as spells stilled, automatically and permanently, after taking the feat, thus making armor a viable choice for the shadowcaster. Can anyone (Mouseferatu) tell me if Still Mystery was intended to be used once per day, like the other metashadow feats?

I'm not sure about that, either. As the feat only affects mysteries cast as spells, it is much weaker than other Metashadow feats. Therefore I've been following the same reasoning as you thus far. After all it will cost a shadowcaster at least two feats (Still Mystery AND Armor Proficiency (light)) to use armor effectively without risking spell failure when casting his highest level mysteries.

Cadfan said:
2) If you have Hide in Plain Sight, do you still need cover or concealment?

It depends. In most cases you don't need cover or concealment to hide anymore, however Hide in Plain Sight usually has some kind of special rules. For example the Shadowdancer can Hide in Plain Sight (without any cover or concealment) as long as he is within 10 feet of some kind of shadow (except his own) [DMG p. 195] and a Dark Creature can Hide in Plain Sight while not in full daylight, the area of a daylight spell or similar effect [TM p. 161]. Thus cover or concealment would still come quite handy to a Dark Creature standing out in full daylight :)

Cadfan said:
If you have partial cover or partial concealment, do you still need Hide in Plain Sight?

It depends on the sort of cover or concealment, the kind of creature you try to hide from and the fact if someone is observing you. Hide in Plain Sight allows you to hide from creatures even while being observed. Thus without Hide in Plain Sight, partial cover / concealment is quite useless when being observed by a creature you try to hide from.

Further some kinds of concealment don't work for all creatures equally! For example you may hide from a human while being in an area of shadowy illumination (giving you concealment), but a creature with darkvision can still see you (at least while within range of its darkvision), because it can clearly see through the area of shadowy illumination (thus you don't benefit from concealment against that creature). You can, however, hide from a creature with darkvision by means of the Hide in Plain Sight feature easily.

Cadfan said:
4) Are there any rules on exactly when full concealment negates the need to even make a hide check?

If you have full concealment from a given creature, you don't have to make a hide check, because the creature can't see you anyway (as long as you have total concealment you are in fact hidden). However again the kind of total concealment can be of different qualities. For example you'll have total concealment from an ordinary human in an area of complete darkness, however you do not have any kind of concealment from a creature with darkvision in the same area until you succeed on a hide check (if the circumstances allow a hide check, making the Hide in Plain Sight feature quite attractive again)

Cadfan said:
5) The specific combinations that confuse me are: Dusk and Dawn on its own, Dusk and Dawn plus a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, Dancing Shadows on its own, and Dancing Shadows plus a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis.

I guess the other answers have already solved this issue as well, haven't they?

Last edited:

Cadfan

First Post
So, my understanding is,

If I cast Dusk and Dawn, granting myself partial concealment relative to all opponents (who don't have darkvision), I still need Hide in Plain Sight if I'm currently being observed. Otherwise, I can attempt to make a bluff check to create a distraction, if successful, I can move around freely within the shadowy illumination, remaining unseen as long as my hide checks are successful.

If I am in bright sunlight, and I cast Dancing Shadows, I am completely unseeable. I have total concealment from all opponents. I need not even make hide checks? I am not so sure about this one. The SRD says that total concealment "usually, but not always" makes hide checks unnecessary. I suppose it is up to the DM to decide when this is the case? The SRD says to see the "Special" section below, but that section does not discuss this issue.

Also, you can skip the light armor proficiency. As long as you are wearing armor with no armor check penalty, the feat is unnecessary.

schatten-k.raehe

First Post
Cadfan said:
If I cast Dusk and Dawn, granting myself partial concealment relative to all opponents (who don't have darkvision), I still need Hide in Plain Sight if I'm currently being observed. Otherwise, I can attempt to make a bluff check to create a distraction, if successful, I can move around freely within the shadowy illumination, remaining unseen as long as my hide checks are successful.

Well, let's see:

1. You cast Dusk and Dawn, creating an area (20 ft. radius) of shadowy illumination.

2. Shadowy illumination gives you concealment against all opponents who have no means (e.g. darkvision, an active true seeing spell etc.) to ignore the shadowy area.

3. Concealment is a prequisite to use the hide skill, thus you may attempt to hide now, as long as you are not being observed (even casually).

4. If you have the Hide in Plain Sight feature you may even try to hide while being observed. Otherwise you could try to create a diversion (Bluff check against the opponent's Sense Motive Check) and, when successful, may try to hide now.

5. As long as no given opponent beats your hide check with it's Spot check you are hidden (= have total concealment) and can move around the area of shadowy illumination at half speed or normal speed (-5 penalty to hide check), while running, attacking, charging etc. would impose a -20 penalty to your hide check.

Cadfan said:
If I am in bright sunlight, and I cast Dancing Shadows, I am completely unseeable. I have total concealment from all opponents. I need not even make hide checks? I am not so sure about this one. The SRD says that total concealment "usually, but not always" makes hide checks unnecessary. I suppose it is up to the DM to decide when this is the case? The SRD says to see the "Special" section below, but that section does not discuss this issue.

Okay, I have to admit the descriptive text of the dancing shadows mystery seems quite vague at first glance. However after taaking a deeper look at the mechanics behind total concealment and the somewhat confusing "usually, but not always"-clause given in the description of the hide skill, things look less complicated ;)

In game terms total concealment means your opponent has no line of sight to you, only. If she has other means to discern your rough position (e.g. successful Listen check or knowing you're somewhere within a 5-foot area totally concealed by absolute darkness), she may guess your position and attempt an attack with a 50% miss chance (the 50% miss chance being the actual main benefit of total concealment, as there's nothing physical between you and your opponent, which could prevent a hit - As mentioned above: it's all about sight only!).

There are three major kinds of total concealment you can benefit from:

1. Something directly affects your opponent's [biological] ability to see you (e.g. your opponent is blind). You do not have to make a hide check against that opponent, because he does not have the option of seeing you available to him anyway, thus being forced to guess your position at all times.

2. Something affecting the area around you / your opponent hinders your opponent to see you. (e.g. in a pitch black room, deep underground without any means of even faintest illumination available, your opponant may try to spot you as hard as he wants, but he cannot succeed, because even the best spot check doesn't provide you with the biological or mystical ability to see in complete darkness.)
In that case you do not have to make any hide checks, either. The opponent may guess where you are, but under no circumstances he can actually see you!

3. Something affects you only, but not the surrounding around you (e.g. invisibility).
Your opponent can't see you, but the surrounding area may give hints to your exact position (e.g. by leaving footprints in the mud or displacing water while standing hip-deep within a lake). In that case, you have to make hide checks (gaining a bonus to the skill-check, however), because by observing your surroundings your opponent may be able to pin-point your exact position by means of a successful Spot check. (Btw. that actually was the major exception the "usually, but not always"-clause was all about.) If the spot check is successful, you don't benefit from total concealment against that opponent this round (next round the same procedure starts all over again). If the Spot check fails, your opponent may guess your exact position only and thereby has the usual 50% miss chance to hit you.

Now let's take a deeper look at the dancing shadows mystery. When cast at a single target, the mystery sort of deepens the shadows around the target, giving the creature total concealment (imagine a bubble of pitch black shadows constantly shifting around you in your square). As the shadows (= area around you) are affected, an observer has no chance of discerning your exact position, however as only the immediate area around you seems to be affected at any given moment (instead of a larger [e.g. 10+ ft.] area around you), guessing your position should be possible in most circumstances. You do, however, always benefit from total concealment (= 50 % miss chance, no AOOs against you) without having to make any hide check!

Oh, by the way I'm not sure, if you could cast a mystery in bright daylight anyway :D
In the "Mysteries and Paths" section (Tome of Magic, page 138) it says: [Mysteries] function in darkness or any sort of ambient light [...], however it further states: [...] he can manipulate a subject's "spiritual shadow" even where shadows cannot normally exist.
Well, that's quite confusing... What does "ambient light" mean? And can't a mystery user cast any mysteries in areas of brighter-than-ambient light, although he manipulates "spiritual shadows" only?!?

Last edited:

schatten-k.raehe said:
Oh, by the way I'm not sure, if you could cast a mystery in bright daylight anyway :D
In the "Mysteries and Paths" section (Tome of Magic, page 138) it says: [Mysteries] function in darkness or any sort of ambient light [...], however it further states: [...] he can manipulate a subject's "spiritual shadow" even where shadows cannot normally exist.
Well, that's quite confusing... What does "ambient light" mean? And can't a mystery user cast any mysteries in areas of brighter-than-ambient light, although he manipulates "spiritual shadows" only?!?

The "ambient light" clause was meant to suggest, essentially, that they function in any lighting, regardless of the fact that they are shadow-based. You can cast a mystery more or less anywhere (odd effects like antimagic notwithstanding).

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ari, while you're here, can I ask something about a Shadow Magic Feat?

The pre-reqs for Shadow Familiar rule out its use by normal mages (Wizards, Sorcerers, Warlocks who take a Feat, etc.), but it could be of good use for Wizards & Sorcerers who take PrCs, or who just want a cool template on their Familiar.

Was that your intent, or do you think it should be available to other arcanists?

Thanks, -- N

Nifft said:
Ari, while you're here, can I ask something about a Shadow Magic Feat?

The pre-reqs for Shadow Familiar rule out its use by normal mages (Wizards, Sorcerers, Warlocks who take a Feat, etc.), but it could be of good use for Wizards & Sorcerers who take PrCs, or who just want a cool template on their Familiar.

Was that your intent, or do you think it should be available to other arcanists?

Thanks, -- N

Flavorwise, I wanted it to be shadowcaster only. However, the dark template is hardly unbalancing for the cost of a feat; I see no mechanical reason you couldn't house-rule it to make it available to others for whom you feel it's appropriate.

Cadfan said:

The metashadow feats went through some changes in development, so I can't swear that my interpretation of its current form is 100% correct. My interpretation, however, is that it applies to all mysteries. That might verge on being too good, but as pointed out elsewhere, it's a woefully underpowered feat if limited to one use/day, given the way mysteries progress.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Mouseferatu said:
Flavorwise, I wanted it to be shadowcaster only. However, the dark template is hardly unbalancing for the cost of a feat; I see no mechanical reason you couldn't house-rule it to make it available to others for whom you feel it's appropriate.

Well, the feat has two effects: one is that it grants the Dark template (which is cool, but not quite worth a Feat by itself), and the other is that your familiar benefits from all arcane casting classes (which is also not quite worth a Feat by itself).

In a PrC-enabled game, I could easily see a Wizard wanting to buff his Familiar, and taking the feat.

Also, I could easily see a Wizard wanting to take the Shadow Master PrC, which has only that Feat as a troublesome prereq.

Thanks, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads