• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The smell of 13th Age

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, maybe the weirdest thread title ever. But bear with me!

I noticed something interesting today: the hardcover smells like RPG books used to smell. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but they do say smell goes directly to your emotional core.

Can anyone else verify this? Or am I going mad?

greywulf

First Post
If you are going mad then we both are. It smells wonderful! Definitely a classic hardback RPG scent.

I can also confirm it smells so much better than the pdf.

G.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned

I noticed something interesting today: the hardcover smells like RPG books used to smell. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but they do say smell goes directly to your emotional core.

The olfactory sense is the closest of the senses linked to memory.

I am waiting to buy 13th Age, no luck in London (UK) yet...

Atlatl Jones

Explorer

Can anyone else verify this? Or am I going mad?
I can verify this. Not three days ago I was in my FLGS smelling 13th Age. :D I don't know if it smells "like RPG books used to smell", but it certainly does twinge some memories for me. At the very least, it smells like Deadlands Reloaded.

JeffB

Legend
Best smelling RPG products ever?

Chaosium boxed set output circa 1980-1983 Runequest 2 & Stormbringer boxed sets in particular.

Mercenaries, Spies, & Private Eyes (Blade/FB) circa 1983.

Early copies of Adventurers Club by Hero Games.

MERP 1st edition, 1st Printing boxed set.

D&D Monster & Treasure Assortment. Sets 1-3 compilation circa 1980

Ruins of Undermountain Boxed set.

Pog

First Post
I enjoyed the smell of 13th Age. But I don't think it's quite as good as Trail of Cthulhu was, or V:tR was. But never mind. It's all good. I wish I could remember what those old boxed RPGs of yesteryear smelt like :).

darjr

I crit!
Huh. A few years ago I found my old Gamma World 1st edition box with just the map, no rules, and it still smelled like I remembered it new. I'll have to do a comparison.

Remove ads