• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The start of a new campaign map

Galethorn

First Post
This is the result of Way Too Much Photoshop. If people want, I can go into detail about how I made it, but suffice to say that it's the result of lots of layers, lots of layer styles, and having a big-assed wacom tablet.

EDIT: this is a work-in-progress. I'm gonna draw in a crapload of little shaded mountains, and put in names and markers for settlements, bodies of water, etc.

Attachments

• Mappa-Mundi-2.jpg
    Mappa-Mundi-2.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 262

Galethorn

First Post
That's the general intention; same layout, different specifics. I did the shading by using inner glow and outer glow on the land layer, and setting the mode to 'darken.' I did the overall texture by taking a really freakin' big scan of actual parchment on some random site (it was a 7-meg jpeg), and then set the blending mode of the layer to 'multiply' and fooled with the opacity and the hue/saturation and brightness/contrast until I was happy with it.

Pbartender

First Post
How did you generate the coastlines and rivers?

Also... Your inland lakes/seas don't have the blue shadow/glow that the oceans have. It looks odd.

Galethorn

First Post
The coastlines were drawn in, and then the resulting shapes were filled in with color (yellowy-tan in this case), and then I drew the rivers on another layer. The lack of definite shading in/around the lakes/inland seas is my next task, once I revise the course of a few rivers. After that will come mountains. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the tolkienesque style of lots and lots of little, unique shaded mountains, which, while time consuming, looks totally awesome.

Remove ads