The Thread In Which We Rant

pogre

Legend
Sometimes you're in a hurry and just throw in a critter if the right CR for the encounters.

I used a flind for example, quick read right CR then it gets a crit with it's 4d10 flail head rolls high and drops a level 7 fighter type

I am telling your wife it was all your fault!

Good thing she rolled well for the next PC she made....

Adamant

Explorer
Dear DM: This is Adventurer's League, not your home campaign. That means you can't do a Warhammer 40k crossover in Lost Mine of Phandelver.

This really happened, and even after a complaint by the most senior DM there he's still doing things like that. Maybe not quite as extreme, but he's still changing things way too much. The worst part is that he's sometimes the only DM who shows up.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Sometimes, when you just want to play good, old-fashioned fantasy, maybe with an interesting, custom setting...

Always someone: BuT cAn I pLaY a PsIoN ?!?!?!

(no matter that psi-based characters have no background lore or base, or even canon rules besides 3pp stuff whatsoever)

Lylandra

Adventurer
Also, dear DM:

Please try to understand more than one facet of my character's motivation and behavior.

Don't interrupt me or cut off my dialogue with an NPC just because you want to switch to 3rd person narrtion or monologue all of a sudden.

At least try to show NPC changing their attitude during an argument. They cannot be all kiddos who go "lalala I cannot hear you" or be so mentally complicated that you have to switch to 3rd person just because a player uses too logical or fitting arguments.

Arilyn

Hero
Dear Old Schoolers:

Please don't assume new players plunge in without a plan of action because they've been raised on video games. I was playing in the old days and there were plenty of murder hobos, rash players and dumb characters back then too. New players and teens play pretty much the same whether it's 1979 or 2020.

jasper

Rotten DM
Dear Old Schoolers:

Please don't assume new players plunge in without a plan of action because they've been raised on video games. I was playing in the old days and there were plenty of murder hobos, rash players and dumb characters back then too. New players and teens play pretty much the same whether it's 1979 or 2020.
Liar Lair Liar Pants on fire this never happen back in 1979. Why is suddenly hot around my ankles? ARRRGH!

jasper

Rotten DM
Dear Adventure League writers, "Please include a pronounce guide for your proper names"
Dear index writers -see writers of index .
Writers of index. See Index editor.
Dear Index editor. Please don't tell me to go to another part of index. This is game book not a school book. So just list the actual page number I need.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dear Index editor. Please don't tell me to go to another part of index. This is game book not a school book. So just list the actual page number I need.

So, I understand why they did that in the past. In the age of analog, if you have multiple listings for a thing (say "circular logic," and "logic, circular"), then if the base text changes, you'd have to update manually both listings in the index with new page numbers, and any manual process like that is prone to error. If you have the index refer to itself, when page numbers change, you only have to update the root references.

Today, there's no frelling reason for this. The referencing can be to an anchor, and the layout software can render to whatever the page ultimately winds up being.

Also

Dear Publisher: Please remember that you still have a large market that needs bifocals, and choose your font sizes accordingly.

jasper

Rotten DM
Dear Publisher, 'What is this new thing. Colored Pictures and colored pages inside a RPG book. If I want a color in a book, I will rip off my grandson's My Little Mimic coloring book. Bring back the old black and white drawings!"

Remove ads