The Thread In Which We Rant

jasper

Rotten DM
As a past game con organizer, I would like to respond with our mantra:
Dear Game Con Attendee: "You think you can do better? Prove it. No, really. Come prove it. Please. Please come prove it. PLEASE! No-one wants to help run these things and we're all just overworked volunteers desperate for any help at all please come prove it!!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!!!!!"
Pssst I just helped Organize the AL games for Kami-Con and I am blowing off steam.

slipshot762

Villager
Dear Special Snowflake Player: Stop. Just . . . stop. We get it, you can't possibly be expected to keep the fun of the group in mind when creating your character. You're just not emotionally equipped to handle being "just another big awesome hero." It's not enough to have the chance to play a unique individual in a dramatic, fictional world with an interesting backstory.

Oh no, you have to REALLY be SPEEEECIAL.

You have to have a unique cloak that makes you look EVEN MORE AWESOME than anyone else with a cloak. You have to have a magic weapon that doesn't just make you better at stabbing, you have to be better at stabbing AND your sword has to have a mysterious skull on the pommel that has glowing eyes. Oh, and of course, the glowing pommel eyes should definitely give you an automatic +4 to all intimidate rolls, because AWESOME, RIGHT??? You couldn't possibly just be expected to be a regular 'ole elf. Oh no, you have to be an elf from the Mysterious Eastern Mystic Elflands, with unknown ninja powers.
So THATS were they go once I've exiled them...my apologies, kind sir or ma'am, for jettisoning that detris upon thee...

atanakar

Hero
Dear play, can you not play a deaf-mute bard that uses a small drum as an instrument to communicate and activate your bard abilities. Despite my best efforts to convinces her otherwise she was convinced it was a cool and playable concept. Her character died during the first mission in the sewers of a large city...

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
Dear fellow gamers: Just because a game is not on the shelf at your LFGS, or is out of print, does not mean that it is bad. In fact, you should give it a try!

Dear player who always plays CN or evil PCs. You're not fooling anyone, and no one buys the "But I'm just playing my character!!!" protests. You're using your PC as a conduit for your own selfish and anti-social behavior.

Admittedly, not a problem when I DM, because I have a rule where those characters aren't allowed unless I know the person and know they can pull it off without being disruptive, but in AL games or other games I'm not DMing...

Matt Coleville made a fantastic video about this. It perfectly captures the problem and discusses it really well.

Remove ads