The Thread In Which We Rant

So, I understand why they did that in the past. In the age of analog, if you have multiple listings for a thing (say "circular logic," and "logic, circular"), then if the base text changes, you'd have to update manually both listings in the index with new page numbers, and any manual process like that is prone to error. If you have the index refer to itself, when page numbers change, you only have to update the root references.

Today, there's no frelling reason for this. The referencing can be to an anchor, and the layout software can render to whatever the page ultimately winds up being.

It's also like they didn't quite understand the point of cross indexing, though, too. Like an encyclopedia listing for gunnery says see also ballistics. Ballistics says see also range finding. Range finding says see also surveying. Surveying says see also photography. So now there's a link between gunnery and photography. But each entry also lists a page number for that topic's article. So armor proficiency might say see also feats because there are feats that grant armor proficiency. Spell lists might say see also classes because classes have custom spell list modifiers.

The real crime is that they haven't fixed it in subsequent printings!

Sacrosanct

Legend
It reminds me of out of office loops. That is, "This is Larissa, I'm currently out of the office. Please contact Shanna for any questions.". And when you email Shanna, you get her out of office saying to contact Larissa. 🤷🏼‍♂️

jasper

Rotten DM
Dear players, 'For the love of all the gawds, let me finish the sentence of how much is the total damage before you interrupt me with whatever!'

Dear WotC,

Please make better character sheets and monster statblocks. I know it isn't your fault that older games expect the DM and players to look up the abilities and spells, and back in the 90s everyone was doing it. But when by spending an hour per player for my newest players rewriting their character sheet (into something that looks horrible) their play experience the next session is a revelation you are doing it wrong.

jasper

Rotten DM
Dear newby players, "What is with your fancy character sheets. Back in the day we used note book paper. If it was yellow pad your mommy was stealing from office supplies. And it is Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Cha. And..... my heart.... gasp.aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggg".
:)

Remove ads