The Three Amigos reactions (SPOILERS)

Highlander does not hold up. Tried that last year with my teens, it was bad.

I'd be interested to know what about it failed to hold up and with whom. Was it looking dated to YOU (naturally it's going to look dated to todays teens)? Bad effects? Jumpy plot?

The original was a movie that I have come to categorize as, "being better than it deserved to be". Certainly every sequel and the TV series only tainted its accomplishment (IMO, that is - I know some people liked the series).

I've tried introducing kids to the wonders of the most quotable and revered movies of my own time - Ghostbusters, Holy Grail, Three Musketeers (with Oliver Reed and Michael York instead of the somewhat more recent version with Oliver Platt and Kiefer Sutherland) and for various unidentifiable reasons they lack the same impact with them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Bah, humbug! Why let his FRIENDS teach him all the good stuff when you can teach it to him at home...in the proper contex, of course.

"Daddy, what's a "NIH", and why did that scene make you laugh so hard you cried?"

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I'd be interested to know what about it failed to hold up and with whom. Was it looking dated to YOU (naturally it's going to look dated to todays teens)? Bad effects? Jumpy plot?

The original was a movie that I have come to categorize as, "being better than it deserved to be". Certainly every sequel and the TV series only tainted its accomplishment (IMO, that is - I know some people liked the series).

I've tried introducing kids to the wonders of the most quotable and revered movies of my own time - Ghostbusters, Holy Grail, Three Musketeers (with Oliver Reed and Michael York instead of the somewhat more recent version with Oliver Platt and Kiefer Sutherland) and for various unidentifiable reasons they lack the same impact with them.

Holy Grail only works if you appreciate fantasy, Terry Gilliam, or Monty Python. Ghost Busters might work if you like paranormal investigation tv shows or supernatural horror. Sure both are dated but if you think about it they still work today for various reasons. I havene't seen the three Musketeers... either version. I hope it has a bunch of swash bucklerry and awesomeness.

Remove ads