The "Torment a Historian" movie playlist thread

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The thing that annoyed me most about the Hercules/Xena setting was how many hundreds of years were covered by it.
It didn't annoy me - I thought it was great! My D&D settings are similar, with cultures from many different eras (e.g. Sumerian, classical Greek, Roman, Norse, early Renaissance) all going at the same time.

Just as a side note, I don't think Uwe Boll is as terrible a director as people make him out to be. He is just the internet's favorite punching bag. Consider this:

-Most of his actors enjoy working with him
-He delivers his movies by the deadline
-He doesn't go over budget
-When he needs extras to play prostitutes, he just get some real ones to play the part.
-He was able to get a semi decent performance out of Michael Madsen, who is drunk off his arse most of the time.
-He is delightfully honest in interviews.
-AFAIK, no one ever died or got gravely injured during the filming of any of his movies.

Most Hollywood directors do not meet these criteria.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
I didn’t watch either enough to catch all of the jumbles, but I recall a Xena episode that tied into the story of Abraham‘s near sacrifice of Isaac (estimated around 2100 BCE) and her having Caesar as an enemy, That drove me nuts.

Well, any historical basis for Gilgamesh is though to have occurred sometime between 3000 and 2500 BC, so that's even further back.

I dunno, Hercules was never very serious, and was often entertaining, and so the sillier anachronisms can usually be ignored. Xena though eventually drove me nuts with all the nonsense going on with Callisto, Dahak, and Caesar, and by the end of the fourth season, I lost my patience with it. And I never liked Gabrielle.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Well, any historical basis for Gilgamesh is though to have occurred sometime between 3000 and 2500 BC, so that's even further back.

I dunno, Hercules was never very serious, and was often entertaining, and so the sillier anachronisms can usually be ignored. Xena though eventually drove me nuts with all the nonsense going on with Callisto, Dahak, and Caesar, and by the end of the fourth season, I lost my patience with it. And I never liked Gabrielle.
Xena's fourth season was weak. Fifth was hit and miss. Sixth got back toward the whimsy of the first three, and was better as a result.

Remove ads