The tragedy of dice collecting

Nai_Calus

First Post
The sprue's an unavoidable part of the molding process, though, and if they *did* remove the sprue themselves, people would complain about 'that rough patch on the die'.

darjr

I crit!
the weird thing about gamescience dice is that they are "precision dice" but you often have to shave off the molding from them...

What do you do for that?

I'm a dice addict as well. I've started to consciously avoid dice shopping and try to focus on just two sets of decent dice... with an extra d20 thrown in... but I still haul a ton of dice around in a big bag. Those dice I try to stick to are in a smaller bag in the bigger.

pawsplay

Hero
the weird thing about gamescience dice is that they are "precision dice" but you often have to shave off the molding from them...

Well, they give you very precise instructions for doing so. :)

I'm like the opposite of a diceaholic. I want to buy dice, I just have difficulty justifying it.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Pawsplay,

I'm with you. I have a big bucket of dice. I like going with a "theme" when I play by carrying a certain color or style in a portable dice bag and then I'll switch it out when I want to make a change. This way, I never feel like I have too many dice.

pawsplay

Hero
Pawsplay,

I'm with you. I have a big bucket of dice. I like going with a "theme" when I play by carrying a certain color or style in a portable dice bag and then I'll switch it out when I want to make a change. This way, I never feel like I have too many dice.

True confession: I bought a series of Chessex transclucents in blue, red, white, clear, and orange for a d20 Star Wars game. I used the blue for Rebels, orange for Dark Side users, and white for non-aligned characters. I broke out the clear ones as an extra set, and I used the red ones for a few encounters with Imperial agents and Darth Vader.

darjr

I crit!
True Dice Confessions. I by dice games just for the dice. Cthulu dice and Zombie dice being just the latest examples. I love Zombie dice as a game too.

delericho

Legend
I have a box of dice, but no real collection. I have set aside a 'favourite' subset of dice for use with d20 games.

I'm a great believer in the notion that dice shouldn't be in matched sets - each size of dice should be a unique colour for ease of recognition. I sometimes get quite frustrated when a fellow player has to stop and wonder "is this a d10 or a d12" every freaking round!

Oh, and whoever decided illegible dice was a good idea should be shot! If I had my way, those would be banned at any table I sit at.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Oh, and whoever decided illegible dice was a good idea should be shot! If I had my way, those would be banned at any table I sit at.
What? Illegible dice are great when you need them. I have a dark purple swirled d20 with black numbers. You can't read it from more than 2 inches away even in bright light.

When the players gripe about my rolling behind the DM screen, I roll this die out in the open. They can't read it, and neither can I. So I pick it up to read it and it never misses!

Then they stop complaining about my rolling behind the screen for a while. :lol:

ssampier

First Post
I don't have many dice sets. I can specifically remember when and where I obtain all my sets.

I have a cheap multiple colored set from the D&D boxed set (1991), a red marblized set from Koplow (my first real set!), translucent amber dice from Chessex, and Speckled blue dice from Chessex. I have many pip d6s, which I like using for character generation. Lastly, I have a d20 that generates 1-10 (0-9 listed twice).

Although I don't have many dice, I do have odd dice habits. I always keep dice with their set. I can have more one set in my bag, but I generally only use one set at a time.

When pulling dice out of my dice bag for a game I lay the dice of a particular set in a line in order (d4, d6, d8, d10s, d12, and d20) .

I have never been diagnosed with ADD or OCD, but I wonder sometimes :)

Over the years, I have collected so many dice that I keep a crown-royal sized bag stocked with each type of die (one bag for d4s, one bag for d6s and so on).

Dice belong with their sets. It's like your separating your dice from their proper family, darn it!

My name is ssampier and I'm a dice segregationist.

Last edited:

Remove ads