The travel to the caves of chaos

As I don´t like an adventure starting right in the action, I used the 4e keep on the chaos scar a first goal.

The quest began with the elven wizard meeting the dwarven knightly cleric at his camp, devoted to read a book about healing and herbs. Because everything he heard about dwarves was very stereoptypical (grumpy, smelling, illiterate... very badly failed int check), he decided to have a closer look. After a small conversation and a meal, during which the dwarf recounts about his plans to visit the lord of the keep, they were attacked by kobolds (who are part of the raid teams in one of the adventure hooks).
the elite kobold and his 4 fellows first demanded gold, but after the mage revealed himself with the light spell (negating the kobold´s advantage accidently), the dragonshield decided to attack him. However the cleric got his shield in between. After an unsuccessful shocking grasp from the mage, an unsuccessful attack from the cleric and some daggers hurting both PCs, the cleric used prayers and the mage used magic missiles to kill the goblins. The fight was over in 3 rounds and maybe 10-15 min real time (roleplaying included)
After the fight I told about hurting scratches, and the PCs decided to bandage the wounds. I allowed wisdom checks to spend hit dice, but because they failed, I halved the healing.
After the night, the mage searched for some herbs to aid in treating wounds and with a nature lore enhanced wisdom check even happened to find some herbs.
Next day, they arrived at the gate of the keep, and were told, that the lord awaits the cleric and a room is already rented for him (background benefit).
They are also told, that the lord is busy right now, deciding what to do against raid parties... and I guess, the PCs will come in handy...

Positive parts:
- both players could quickly identify with the characters, even though at least one was first not that confortable with playing the knight.

-both players had no problems, understanding, what their characters can do and how their abilities function. (Even though one is not very good in english... and really had problems understanding 4e language)

- lack of opportunity attacks allowed a very fluid fight in the theater of our mind. Reactions of the cleric were resolved fast and felt useful and natural.
(I was really sceptical about no OAs, but together with breaking up movements in two parts, seemed well)

- background could easily be incorporated into the game and helped me create the adventure hook on the fly

- combat felt threatening, hp buffer was perfectly reasonable. High AC felt useful, low AC of the mage was mitigated by the cleric´s shield ability and due to low attack bonus of the kobolds (even with my correction to the dagger´s attack and damage bonus)

- I just realized, i made a recall lore check (about dwarves) without knowing it is in the rules booklet

(very slightly) negative parts

- kobold ranged attack math seemed off, and I changed it. For 75xp they should be able to do more than 1-2 damage with a 50% chance against a wizard

- No RAW possibility to heal without a healer´s kit. I think, it should be a wisdom check against 10 or so to use a hit dice, and a healer´s kit may gice advantage, and not having anything at hand maybe even disadvantage... something like that

- Full hp regeneration (although only for me) seems too immersion breaking (mainly for me). With herbs and heal (wisdom checks) and a healer´s kit it should be ok, but when you could technically not have short rests without one.

- The cleric wanted to learn something about healing... I think he should be able to. Heal and guardian competing with each other seems wrong. IMHO healer should rather be a background than a theme.

Things I´d like to try:

-I believe, there should be opportunity attacks fo someone trying to pass around the defender and for running away.

Conclusion:

The game played fast. Keeping in mind, that we only had one combat and two players, which will naturally result in a quicker gameplay, i still had the feeling we were able to tell an immersive and fluid story much easier than with 4e. The rules just did not get in the way, and all problems that occured were easily solved with ability checks.

So the first playtest was a very very good experience for all of us.

edit: I didn´t recognize, that divine favour takes uo the cleric´s action. IMHO a spell that lasts this short should be able to cast together with an attack. It did not feel wrong when the cleric did that (accidently).

Last edited:

Remove ads