• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The Tyranny of Rarity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of curated lists, (and smurfs) I’ve had an idea bouncing around in the back of my mind for a while that I like to call ‘The Blue Man Group’

Either a campaign where the players are limited to blue skinned D&D races, or a world (more likely just an island chain or city) based on the idea.

Options would include:

Dragonborn (blue)
Tiefling
Aasimar
Firbolg
Goliath
Triton
Goblin
Kobold
Orc
Genasi (air, water)
Elf (sea)
Vedalken
Changeling

I’m probably missing something else obvious. There are a few other races that could fit, blue skinned gnomes, yuan-ti, Kenku with blue feathers, etc…

—-

For those that curate, I‘d be interested to hear about your option choices, especially if you’ve based your list on a theme or original idea. If you have a curated list of monsters that exist in your world I’d be keen to hear about that too.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Am I the only one here that keeps an updated character record sheet of every players?
No I am not the one that had this idea.
No I am not the one that update the sheet. 5 minutes is allowed at the end of each session for that.
Yes, it helps a lot when a player can't make it to the game for "x" reason and that player could not bring the character at home.
Which is why character sheets stay here betwen sessions. That way I don't need to keep a mirror copy as I always have access to the original if I need it.

With this list I would have to ask for a human from the Frozen Seas region... his skin would be blue. ;)

This is a good example of the collaborative world building that people are suggesting they enjoy.

The DM says: Yeah sure! I hadn’t thought about that, but we could add in a Frozen Sea region. Sounds cool.

*adds human to list of options

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This is a good example of the collaborative world building that people are suggesting they enjoy.

The DM says: Yeah sure! I hadn’t thought about that, but we could add in a Frozen Sea region. Sounds cool.

*adds human to list of options
LOL, sure, I guess....

I was being factious. For myself, anyway, those are the sort of races I would not want to play with. 🤷‍♂️

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I’m probably missing something else obvious. There are a few other races that could fit, blue skinned gnomes, yuan-ti, Kenku with blue feathers, etc…
Sapphire dragonborn. Could also theoretically make a cobalt dragonborn, if you want to include metallics. Cobalt was a rather more "brutish" dragon in 4e, and not actually good, instead classified as Unaligned (in 5e, probably LN with a major vindictive streak). Used a cold breath weapon, so you could literally just say people who want to play a metallic dragonborn use Silver dragonborn stats.

For those that curate, I‘d be interested to hear about your option choices, especially if you’ve based your list on a theme or original idea. If you have a curated list of monsters that exist in your world I’d be keen to hear about that too.
I don't currently curate my races for the DW game I run, but I do have a list I built a long time ago for a speculative proto-setting idea. As follows:

0. Humans: Very rare, not native to the continent where play starts; they're all either refugees from their faraway homeland or the first-generation descendants of the early refugees. AKA: Anyone can play a human, but you'll stand out as Different.
1. Dragonborn: Politically dominant culture/empire is majority-dragonborn, but they're only a majority in some parts of the continent. Think late-Republic/early-Empire Romans mixed with some Mongolian Empire elements.
2. Kobolds: Subsumed into the dragonborn empire generations ago. Often rise to power through "boring" intellectual pursuits (both accounting and wizardry) that dragonborn tend to shirk, which helped unify the early empire--somebody's gotta do the paperwork!
3. Satyr: The primary representatives of the feywild, very mixed reputation--they love a good party, but being fey, they can be capricious and temperamental. Integrating them enabled the dragonborn to use fey-bridges to rapidly span the continent.
4. Musimon: Goat-people. Hardy, sometimes taciturn, mostly live in alpine areas. Actually sought out admission into the empire, as this resolved long ongoing food shortages and gave them access to markets across the continent for trade.
5. Leoni: Cat-people (possibly wemic-style, never made up my mind). Technically outside the empire, as they've fended off multiple attempts at annexation, but policy is heavily affected by imperial actions. Religion and spiritualism form the core of their society.
6. Minotaur: Pacifistic and herbivorous, but brutally strong. They favor nomadic life or sailing, a response to having been enslaved for generations long ago (allegedly by satyrs). Some enlist in the Imperial army, usually justified by "protecting the herd" to skirt their pacifism.
7. Mekkah: Constructed organisms of mysterious origins. "Dead" mekkah are brought to the creation engines, which allow their experiences to enrich the next generation, but some do not wish to be consumed so. Ancient humans may have been their creators, no one knows.
8. Changelings: Once thought extinct, actually a loose network spread all across the empire and beyond. Many choose to conceal their nature, but a few have found success in "coming out." Often subject to suspicion...but also highly prized by the empire's covert forces.

Humans are often thought to be either hairless apes (which, y'know, not entirely incorrect) or a non-shapechanging version of changelings since they have somewhat-similar proportions. (To a changeling, an average human looks a bit chonky; to us, changelings look almost gaunt.) Elves, dwarves, halflings, orcs, and most other "obviously humanoid" races either don't exist, or come from other planes and are thus unknown in this region. E.g., if a player was really desperate to play one, I'd try to work something out, but I'd prefer they choose one of the above, since the whole point of the concept was "a non-Tolkien setting." If aesthetics aren't a concern, then a half-elf could be the first successful half-human, half-satyr, for example, while a half-orc might be a minotaur/musimon. If they are, characters could be refugees from other planets/planes or the result of magical experimentation, or (if the player is willing to cede a great deal of backstory control to me) possibly one of the mekkah's long-lost Creators coming out of cryostasis or something, with heavy implications for the setting at large.

As stated, the point of this is to specifically break from Tolkien-esque tropes. This is a world of relatively high magic, steeped in fey influences and primal forces. It would be essentially impossible to mistake this setting for Middle-Earth or Abeir-Toril. Players will almost certainly have to ask questions and continually re-frame their expectations, because they'll know from the outset that things just are not what they're used to. In my mind, this significantly heightens the sense of wonder and mystery, because you can't fall back on comfortable old assumptions. You know, right out the gate, that you don't know exactly how this world works, and that you'll have to dig in to find out what's in it.

Last edited:

Sapphire dragonborn. Could also theoretically make a cobalt dragonborn, if you want to include metallics. Cobalt was a rather more "brutish" dragon in 4e, and not actually good, instead classified as Unaligned (in 5e, probably LN with a major vindictive streak). Used a cold breath weapon, so you could literally just say people who want to play a metallic dragonborn use Silver dragonborn stats.

I‘d forgotten about the gem Dragonborn, (haven’t had Fizban’s that long) but yeah, perfect fit. Also I like your suggestion about Silver Dragonborn as well, I toy with they idea of including grey skinned races as a way of expanding the options, which would include a lot of humanoids from the underdark.

Thanks for sharing your list as well, I appreciate it. I like the idea of Minotaurs as peaceful / pacifists.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
When I invite players to my game I'm quite clear about a few things. One of those is allowed races. If you want to customize or run a PC that can pass as a different race, we can talk; I've only been taken up on that once. So right away, people have a choice. If they disagree with my curated list they can find another game. That may sound harsh, but I always have 6 players when I only really want 4. So the limited list of races doesn't seem to matter too much.

So what is the actual issue. Because I don't remember ever dodging anything. I do think the DM has and should have more power than the rest of the group. The DM has a much, much broader responsibility not only in terms of what they create and control but also who their responsible for. A DM creates an entire world and has to think about what 6 other people want. A player? Primarily concerned with their own build. It's not that they have 100% authority and the players have 0, but to me it's a different kind of authority.

When I start up a campaign I talk about the types of campaigns I enjoy running which includes no evil or chaotic "I'm not really evil" neutral. Beyond that? I'm pretty open. Typical hero's path, urban, wilderness, mercenary, I want to run a campaign people will enjoy. While I build the world, the stage and NPC actors, how the PCs interact with those is completely up to them. They can add details to the world, I just want editorial control so it doesn't conflict with established lore and that it fits with the theme and style of the world. Because once it's established it becomes set.

But this is all stuff we've discussed many times. We have different opinions and that's fine. If we all agreed this forum would be boring. What am I or anyone else dodging?
Can you give an example in your game where a players authority won out over yours? Not a compromise, but a case where you are 100% are against a decision they enforced but have to abide by it?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I don't know how the Smurf discussion has gone on so long and nobody has referenced the actual smurfs that are in the game already....xvarts.

Not only would I welcome a PC xvart in my game, the PCs already have made contact and had dealings with a xvart group near their homebase so introducing the character would be easy.

Orcs in my game combine a coded system of honor and respect in combat cribbed from Klingons in Star Trek so that's also an easy fit.

Gotcha covered, bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads