The Ultimate d20 Gamma World Thread

Brutorz Bill

First Post
I've been seriously trying to get a print copy of the Survivor's Handbook for DW2. I hadn't heard that the rest of the books were going print, however. Did you read this on RPGObjects' website?

I've got the DW2 hardcover and the Foundationists/Metal gods softcover (both currently oop). Both are Great!
Hopefully those and the entire line will be back in print soon.
Here's the link with the print info. : RPGObjects
Good Gaming!
Bill

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I've got the DW2 hardcover and the Foundationists/Metal gods softcover (both currently oop). Both are Great!
Hopefully those and the entire line will be back in print soon.
Here's the link with the print info. : RPGObjects
Good Gaming!
Bill
Yes, I want both those books and I want a printed copy of Terrors of the Twisted Earth. And thanks for the link.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I finally got around to cranking out my 10 page research paper for my night class. It's 99% done. hopefully I'll be able to get back to this thread and my Guardian Chronicles thread soon but don't quote me on that.

I have one more assignment for one class and at least four more for the other. Luckily, I only have one Final Exam and that isn't until the secondweek of December (I think).

Anyway, just letting you guys know what I've been doing.

Cheers!

KF72

Evilusion

First Post
Ok had to chance to read your write up Knightfall. Looks good to me, do you intend for those to be base classes or advance classes though?

OK nevermind, I did not read close enough. Answer my own question.

Evilusion

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ok had to chance to read your write up Knightfall. Looks good to me, do you intend for those to be base classes or advance classes though?

OK nevermind, I did not read close enough. Answer my own question.

Evilusion
Thanks for the praise, Evilusion. I'm hoping to get back to this thread after my final exam is over, which is this coming Thursday. I have an assignment due tonight and there is an (open book) in-class assignment tonight as well.

However, I'll likely be REALLY burnt out by Friday, so it might be a week (or so) before I'll be getting back into my role-playing projects. I'll have to wait and see.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Gotta reopen this. I'm itching to reboot GW, and actually be able to play something!

So, you were talking about races? Races are key to GW, and that's a big design challenge that's significanly different from 3.5. In 3.5, the race takes a back seat to the class, tweaking it more than anything. In GW, though, I would argue that the reverse is true--the race defines you more than the class.

Just as a brainstorm, I'm thinking of dividing races into a few categories, based on how far mutated you are: Pure Strain, Stable Race, Mutant.

Pure Strain creatures are creatures that have not mutated and are hardier as a result. Humans are about the only playable PC race out of Pure Strain species (but hey, I'm not judging, I'm sure someone wants to play a monkey or something).

Stable Races are mutant races that have stabilized their mutations. Dabbers, Badders, Hissers, and the like. They can be mutated by radiation, but not much. They also have full communities of others of their race.

Mutants include everything else. They have the most variation in their mutations, can be plants or animals or people, and typically do not have large communities. Mutants might have one village, and that's it. They can quickly mutate in the face of radiation.

How much mechanics do we need to define the differences between human, animal, and plant mutants? If we all agree that you can walk around, pick things up, and talk, does the rest change?

Evilusion

First Post
The big problem is with the different races is how do convert them over to 3.5. If you look in the GW 4th edition book for the rule on mutated animals there is a large varations for stats.

What I did(may not be right) is to give PSH +2 to IN,CN and WIS. For Humaniods and Mutated Animals I just gave the +2 for any 2 stats. Of course this was a quick and easy method. Of course after that comes the mutations which is easy enough. Of course watch out for dual brain and duailty combos

Evilusion

GrolloStoutfoam

First Post
I've just started a GW campaign as well. All of the people I play with are only familiar with D&D (2nd ed & 3.5, young'uns all of them ;)).

One player is a mutated bear, we used the brown bear stats out of the 3.5 Monster Manual and I required him to take Heightened Intelligence. That solved the ability to speak and manipulate objects. Natural Attack and Heightened Smell came for free due to being a bear.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Gotta reopen this. I'm itching to reboot GW, and actually be able to play something!

So, you were talking about races? Races are key to GW, and that's a big design challenge that's significanly different from 3.5. In 3.5, the race takes a back seat to the class, tweaking it more than anything. In GW, though, I would argue that the reverse is true--the race defines you more than the class.
Well, I'm leaning towards using the races as detailed in the Gamma World Player's Handbook. However, those races could likely use some tweaks. I haven't really thought that far ahead yet. Machines & Mutants has some good "extra" races but I'm not sure which ones I want to use yet.

I like dabbers and hoops, so those two races will definitely be options for any d20 Modern-based Gamma World game I run.

Remove ads