The Ultimate RPG tabletop network tool

Luke

Explorer
What features does the ultimate RPG tool have for networking at the tabletop?

I want to build it, and could well already be a long way down the track.

Whilst things stay pretty much invisible here in the software forum and it'll be hard to get feedback, the general forum had a massive thread about using a projector and a computer to show maps on the tabletop. It just goes to show that very many players get great results when the right tools are available.

Its a very open-ended question, but rather than prejudice any early responses, I'll just mention very briefly the sorts of general things I'm talking about:

1) A tool that the DM can use, which, by itself, has very strong D&D/D20 capabilities - when used at the table-top. This would include stuff such as generating characters/NPCs/monsters, adventure notes, maps, locations and encounters. It would have a great mapping tool, but also let you use maps from apps like CC2 or Fractal mapper.

2) the mapper would be interactive, letting you easily move PCs and creatures around on the map. You would also be able to do things like quickly generate encounters on the map.

3) Even without networking, the DM's app should have a "Player Window", which could show a player's version of the map (revealing only appropriate sections), and also show any other pics or info that the DM has available.
This would be especially great if the DM's PC has a 2nd monitor, as the players could be continually updated with the current map, and other info.

4) The DM's app should be able to network with 1 or more players using their own PC. This could be another computer at the table, or even across the internet. This should give the players a great interactive map, allowing them to move their own PCs and creatures around the map. Stuff like chat would also be needed.
Preferably, they could also perform actions (like attacks and saves), which would interact with the DM's PC, and you would get a lot of game mechanics automatically calculated for you.
A great option would be to have players able to move their creatures, select actions, and then enter dice rolls (or push a button to roll dice), and have the DM oversee and manage the game mechanics that result.

5) It would also be nice to have the DM's app be a web server, where players without a special player app could even use a browser. You can't expect too much from a browser, but you could at least get a latest picture of the map, and perhaps even a chat facility.

Quality and ease-of-use would be very important. I realize that a smooth-paced quality internet app would have very, very demanding features, but I'm not too concerned about that.

So, what are the killer features? Things could obviously be a lot better than simply using a projector to show maps on the table. It seems obvious that there's a lot to be gained if we have the ultimate RPG networked at - even for just using at the table.

I'll look to complete a detailed list of features that I'll post later.

Last edited:

J-Buzz

First Post
In the Chat area.

You should allow the dm to send information to certain characters but not all. For example the skill focused rogue might hear someone snoring down the hall where the rest do not.

You should allow Characters to chat/whisper between themselves. So that they can plan actions that the DM can see for plot reasons (IE: seedy fighter and rough rogue type are planning to rip the party off, or steal from a local) That way the dm can make listen, spot checks for other characters to build plot. A way for the PC's to plot actions unknown to the DM.

Things like that would be nice.

Wonko the Sane

First Post
I'd like to see the capability to import maps (in .jpg or .bmp format), since I have used all sorts of computer mapping programs and have decided that handdrawn is the only way to fly.

Go Luke!

Luke

Explorer
WoJ-Buzz said:
You should allow Characters to chat/whisper between themselves
Thanks. My current work allows for selcting the DM, All, or a specific player. I had thought about multi-select of specific players, but it needs a more complex user interface than a simple single selection. I had thought of multi-select as being more of a "future feature" - but this is the purpose of my open question. To find out what people are asking for!

Wonko the Sane said:
I'd like to see the capability to import maps (in .jpg or .bmp format),
Absolutely! Already done + also import .emf and .wmf files. The .emf and .wmf formats (supported by apps like CC2) are vector-based, and are great for creating big maps that zoom in with great precision.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
Allow the player to have adjustable "templates" they can overlay on the map - mainly for spellcasters but others may find a use. Allow them to move them around themselves. That way the mage can place his fireball precisely.

Chacal

First Post
random ideas :

1 -Ability to make global checks for skills, saves (menu based or a simplified character sheet) .
Example The Dm clicks "spot" and sees failed by x in red , or success by y in green next to the char's names in the list of players/npcs/monsters.
The x/y value is much more useful than a simple failed/success because it allows the DM to integrate things that the computer can't realistically compute (like : I give redgar a -2 because he's focusing too much on the waitress ;))

2- ability to restrict chat between users :]

3- monitoring spell durations/ conditions for each player/npc/monster

4 - ability to define and activate/deactivate triggers for alerts ( in a non intrusive way, like in a status bar or message bar) like : any PC under X HP

Chacal

Last edited:

Luke

Explorer
Lasher Dragon said:
Allow the player to have adjustable "templates" they can overlay on the map - mainly for spellcasters but others may find a use. Allow them to move them around themselves. That way the mage can place his fireball precisely.

Sorry - not sure what you mean about "templates". is this something to do with area effect spells?
I currently have the ability to select multiple targets for something like a spell. That's up to a human to manually choose which creatures are targets of a current action. Its simple - a lot simpler than trying somehow describe an area of effect which will automatically select targets in the area.
Whilst I hope to get away with manual selection initially, I'm keen to know if an area of effect auto-select is seen as been very desireable. There are complications with things such as cover, and also options for actions such as a lightening bolt, which could have different "templates".

Could it be that a player could simply, manually select targets, and a DM could over-ride the selection, based on intricacies such as cover (not easily, automatically modelled by computers)

Lasher Dragon

First Post
Luke said:
Sorry - not sure what you mean about "templates". is this something to do with area effect spells?
I currently have the ability to select multiple targets for something like a spell. That's up to a human to manually choose which creatures are targets of a current action. Its simple - a lot simpler than trying somehow describe an area of effect which will automatically select targets in the area.
Whilst I hope to get away with manual selection initially, I'm keen to know if an area of effect auto-select is seen as been very desireable. There are complications with things such as cover, and also options for actions such as a lightening bolt, which could have different "templates".

Could it be that a player could simply, manually select targets, and a DM could over-ride the selection, based on intricacies such as cover (not easily, automatically modelled by computers)

What I mean is that a player could call up a translucent object defining an area of effect. For example, a 20' radius circle to place on the map where he wants to detonate his fireball. This would allow him to make fine adjustments so as to maximize the effectiveness himself.

Another thing - I say allow chat between players, but also allow the DM to monitor it, without them knowing preferably. :lol:

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
This may sound odd, but how about easy to use?

Pretty much most d20/gaming programs today take a Ph.D to use effectively. My computer has a track record, I purchase a d20 program, install it.. <few weeks later> It gets removed. Because most of the software is not re-purchased for newer versions there is no drive to keep the old customer base happy and using the software (Yeah I know, free upgrades are always nice.. if you are actually using the program).

Luke

Explorer
Lasher Dragon said:
What I mean is that a player could call up a translucent object defining an area of effect...
Another thing - I say allow chat between players, but also allow the DM to monitor it, without them knowing preferably. :lol:
Got it. Cool idea.
Vascant said:
This may sound odd, but how about easy to use?...
Pretty much most d20/gaming programs today take a Ph.D to use effectively
Agreed. As I said: "Quality and ease-of-use would be very important."
I find that I'm continually tweaking over time to make things more and more intuitive. My current mapper is getting a heavy work-over - especially for shared networking.

Since D&D/D20 attempts a reasonable "reality simulation" through what must be the most rules intensive game in the entire world, its pretty inevitable that software attempting to carry out that simulation wont be easily intuitive without a lot of effort.
Personally, I go for a "phased option approach". The idea is to let people do whatever they want, at the level they want. Program features should have a simple level, but also allow you to dig deeper for extra automation - if you're comfortable with that.

Simple example: Use a few mouse clicks to generate an encounter (complete with equipment, extra feats, spell lists etc), and then just work from the resulting statblocks, or creature info window.
Using the full available functionality, you might actually add spell effects, item effects and conditions to your character/creature - making a bit more effort, and getting more accurate results.

Extended example (from my last gaming session):Last week my party encountered a dragon. I'm using the full software capabilities for my character.
1) Green dragon approaches, and DM asks for a Will save, and 3 mouse clicks later I have my full breakdown for my will save. I uncheck the potential elvish enchantment bonus, and thankfully note that the "Bless" still in effect from our Cleric does apply. A double click on my "Bless" condition confirms this in the description from the spell - without checking from the book.
2) I fail my save, and use 3 mouse clicks and 2 key presses to add the "Frightened" condition to my character.
3) A short while later, we're all rolling a reflex save to avoid the full effects of the dragon's breath weapon. It turs out that I only just failed my save. The clincher was that I was frightened and it cost me a -2.

The main point here is that those not using the program (no laptop) forgot to apply their -2 to their save for being frightened. When I realized that, a further check revealed that a couple also forget to apply the +1 from the Bless in their original save. Its very easy to play inaccurately without a computer to remind you of all the effects in play.

Does it take and need a PhD to get this kind of software support to be of real benefit?
Personally, I know that good software can make it work well, although it may take some familiarization to know exactly what the few mouse-clicks or key presses are to get the results.
For DMs? Indespensible! From 3rd edition onwards, DMs have the complexity of effectively trying to manage a hoard of PCs, since monsters and NPCs do have a PC level of complexity.
I'm confident in saying that DMs simply cannot play with the accuracy of the rules as presented in the books (especially high level encounters) - unless they have a good software tool to help them. I realize that this could inflame some, and if you want to challenge me on this point - please start a different thread for a challenge, and I'll join you there ;) . Sure, DMs can be accurate , if they take a very boringly long amount of time for each creature action. Don't forget the dizzying array of modifers that you can start off with (depending on equipment in use, feat options <power attack/point blank range/expertise/rapid shot/etc etc>, spell effects, class abilities, race abilities - and the kicker --> how all the different effects actually combine with the stacking rules !!!).

Anyway, however you play, my personal experience is that having strong software options available to you as options is ALL GOOD :)

Remove ads