The Ultimate RPG tabletop network tool

ToneDeF

First Post
I would like to be able to use Role Playing Master right alongside Fantasy Grounds when running a network game as a DM. Role Playing Master sports a ton of great features (such as battle management) that Fantasy Grounds will never support (supposedly because of D20 licensing issues), and so the two applications could complement each other nicely. It would be nice to be able share data between the two (such as being able to drag & drop combat information from Role Playing Master to Fantasy Grounds). Of course, this would only be possible if SmiteWorks (the company that develops Fantasy Grounds) were willing to provide support to Luke (via sharing of API libraries, data formats, etc.) I don't know if this sort of collaboration would fly with SmiteWorks, but the idea is not out of the question, since they have planned to cooperate with Code Monkey Publishing (the maintainers of E-Tools and PCGen) to create content.

Luke

Explorer
ToneDeF said:
I would like to be able to use Role Playing Master right alongside Fantasy Grounds when running a network game as a DM...QUOTE]
Tried their download on 2 different PCs, and both had problems related to DirectX. It doesn't seem like an uncommon issue on their message board, so I might look back in another month.

The doco for it didn't seem to offer anything special that I don't intend anyway - which is helpful, since its typically difficult to try and get different companies to co-operate with software integration.
Perhaps stating the features that so you like from it would be useful.

One key difference might be the use of screen real-estate. I'm pretty much committed to presenting as much information as possible in the available screen space. Very pretty, graphical displays to tend to use a lot of screen real-estate in the cause of "eye candy". The game mechanics of 3rd edition RPG tend to cry out for information rather than eye candy.

Still, the ultimate test for the individual is what works best for them. Some may be happy to stay with eye candy, whereas others (most, in my unqualified opinion) will get over that after a while, and would desire the information over the pretty graphics.

Dunno - hard to call. Since you're asking to have both apps integrated, perhaps you want the best of both worlds? That still leaves the problem of managing screen real-estate well, with the additional problem of two apps, rather than one.

Maybe you could give me the chance to give you the best of both worlds in a single, integrated, optimized application. It may seem difficult, but I'm prepared to do the hard work of making it happen, if others are simply prepared to say what would "rock their game".

Daherm

First Post
rocking my game

Luke, honestly, what would do it for me, is similar to openRPG, the ability to play a game online, maybe not even knowing the other people personally, but be able to play, and see, everything I, either as a player or the Dm need to have infront of me.

Open RPG would say, let me go into a field marked as spot under skills, and let me instantly roll that skill, and generate the random number. The problem was that the program was very...open faced, and partly ugly, but also confusing. Getting a certain modifier to that spot roll would either require the user to edit the field (troublesome for a limited condition) or just manually roll, and add on whatever as they needed. (it also had a normal built in dice roller along the bottom of the screen)

BalazarIago

First Post
If your going to have the DM monitor all the different chats, then you may want to set up some type of colour code. As well, each chat window would have to be logged so that the DM can go back and look at the various conversations that he did not have to monitor earlier.

You have to be careful with regards to setting up the map with auto triggers and such. When your creating maps in Never Winter Nights, you are able to set items hidden (like Traps) and set their difficulty number and on and on. I am not sure if this is the path that you want to take. Seems like a hell of a lot of coding to do, and I am not sure how well things would go over if you set it up so that you could import maps created that way.

I found the application rather complicated to start. It had a steep learning curve. Perhaps a tutoral or hints window or some such might help people who are not all that familiar with the game as a whole.

Going to continue playing with it and offer more suggestions. Those were just some preliminary thoughts and first impressions.

Luke

Explorer
Daherm said:
Luke, honestly, what would do it for me, is similar to openRPG, the ability to play a game online, maybe not even knowing the other people personally, but be able to play, and see, everything I, either as a player or the Dm need to have infront of me.

Open RPG would say, let me go into a field marked as spot under skills, and let me instantly roll that skill, and generate the random number. The problem was that the program was very...open faced, and partly ugly, but also confusing. Getting a certain modifier to that spot roll would either require the user to edit the field (troublesome for a limited condition) or just manually roll, and add on whatever as they needed. (it also had a normal built in dice roller along the bottom of the screen)

My app already has the "everything under the sun" featureset for single player mode.
You'll find that the actions window is particularly comprehensive.
Using a skill check example of an action, all the relevant modifiers are listed that apply as modifiers to a die roll. You can quickly check/uncheck anything that does/doesn't apply (such as an elvish enchantment bonus for a will check). You also automatically get all the DC modifiers and options can be quickly reviewed and selected from a combobox (such as selecting the surface type DC for a climb check).
Its similar for an attack, where the ToHit modifiers replace the skill modifiers, and the DC modifiers are automatically replaced by the targets AC details.
In addition, the full description of the action (be it an attack, save, skill check, spell, or sepcial action), is presented - to save time looking up books, or even the built-in encyclopaedic database.

The mapper itself would be quite different from OpenRPG. You would be able to create detailed maps or use other maps (such as CC2, scanned images - whatever).
I'm testing a design that allows for on-the-fly modifications, whilst ensuring acceptable speed over internet connections.

Luke

Explorer
BalazarIago said:
If your going to have the DM monitor all the different chats, then you may want to set up some type of colour code. As well, each chat window would have to be logged so that the DM can go back and look at the various conversations that he did not have to monitor earlier.

You have to be careful with regards to setting up the map with auto triggers and such. When your creating maps in Never Winter Nights, you are able to set items hidden (like Traps) and set their difficulty number and on and on. I am not sure if this is the path that you want to take. Seems like a hell of a lot of coding to do, and I am not sure how well things would go over if you set it up so that you could import maps created that way.

I found the application rather complicated to start. It had a steep learning curve. Perhaps a tutoral or hints window or some such might help people who are not all that familiar with the game as a whole.

Going to continue playing with it and offer more suggestions. Those were just some preliminary thoughts and first impressions.

I already plan to log the chats. The log would be a permanent individualized record, whereas the chat window would show the recent interactions - listed one after the other.

I also plan for the log to support a kind of "super comment", which goes beyond the standard chat line. This would allow copy-and-paste of images, notes, whatever - using a powerful word-processor capability.

When you say "I found the application rather complicated to start..." are you talking about NWN or RPM? I'm currently doing entensive changes to RPM to make the various aspects of networking and mapping far more intuitive.

Arc

First Post
I'm fairly ambivalent about mapping software, since a grid, some basic tokens, and the ability to draw a straight line are all that's really necessary. The killer app for me, however, is the chat functionality.

It needs to be seamless, and allow for custom aliases/changed nicks. If my character's name is Bob, I want chat to show up as <Bob> "hello". Having a DM tool to easily switch between nicks is also good. It also needs to have a /me function, so in character actions are vivid, not just described.

The dicebot needs to be robust, and have a very clear syntax. Flexability is a must, but being able to get exactly the roll you want without futzing about with a dropdown menu or looking up on a help page is crucial. Your modifiers toolbar sounds great. For the output, it needs to be annotated clearly, and allow for custom animations.

Built in character sheets/monsters/statblocks... I'm a bit hesitant about these. Sure, it may be nice to have the SRD already there, but most people know it decently enough. Having to add every custom class, PrC, feat, skill, monster, house rules, etc.... that's a pain in the ass. Keeping a paper copy or an excel sheet isn't too hard, and everyone has a different way of doing it. Regardless of how good the implimentation is, there needs to be an option to turn it off.

Luke

Explorer
Arc said:
I'm fairly ambivalent about mapping software, since a grid, some basic tokens, and the ability to draw a straight line are all that's really necessary...

I tend to agree personally, but many don't. I think that its about choice. Certainly, if you don't use fancy graphics, then there's no need for the initial upload to players of whatever greaphics are required. I think that having the option to try do a lot more is very good.

Thanks for reinforcing the in-character/out-of-character chat requirement.

Arc said:
Built in character sheets/monsters/statblocks... I'm a bit hesitant about these. Sure, it may be nice to have the SRD already there, but most people know it decently enough. Having to add every custom class, PrC, feat, skill, monster, house rules, etc.... that's a pain in the ass. Keeping a paper copy or an excel sheet isn't too hard, and everyone has a different way of doing it. Regardless of how good the implimentation is, there needs to be an option to turn it off.
Once again, I think that its about choice. With my app, the classes PrC, feats, skills, monster etc... are already in. You can also import datasets for extra stuff. Its particularly useful for DMs, who can generate an entire encounter with fully (sensibly) equipped opponents - complete with chosen feats and spell lists etc.
This is a HUGE time-saver, allowing you to play opponents with genuine variety. DMs no longer have to play their creatures as if a 10 were rolled for each ability before racial adjustments. The old problem disappears where the standard character race NPCs have varied stats, but every ogre and hobgoblin has the same Str, Dex,... Even playing "cardboard cut-outs" straight from the MM still gets you issues, when basic ability stats start getting modified by spell effects, encumbrance, magical items, standard conditions (such as stunned), poisons.
Having the option to get the computer to automatically manage all this for you - also automatically taking stacking rules into consideration, is a great thing.

Sigurd

First Post
I think the two most important things are:

Get as many people working on different little bits as possible. You don't want to do it all and the world doesn't want to be dissapointed if you get new interests or get hit by a bus.

Come up with a utility path where the thing becomes useful for something as quickly as possible. This builds enthusiasm and helps the above. Code can be refactorred rewritten etc.... but enthusiasm and sense of accomplishment are harder to maintain.

S

Luke

Explorer
Sigurd said:
I think the two most important things are:

...Get as many people working on different little bits as possible. You don't want to do it all and the world doesn't want to be dissapointed if you get new interests or get hit by a bus.

Well, its just me, and has been for the last 3 years. RPM is already the most comprehensive RPG tool I'm aware of, and this is simply taking it to the networking level.

The huge bulk of it is already done. I'm currently :
- Testing a player PC and DM PC moving stuff around, and seeing it update live.
- Testing basic chat facilities.
- Reworking the interface to make it as easy to use as possible.
- Reworking the message layer to automatically compress/decompress byte streams for maximised performance over slow internet connections.

When I'm happy with those facets, I'll do an initial beta release.

Not all features will be immediately available, but its still very important to get all this valuable input into the wishlist as early as possible. :)

Remove ads