• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ultimates: Homeland Security

Mark_Aurel

First Post
Viking Bastard said:
Is that the one where he kills the Kryptonian criminals of the Pocket universe?

Yep. That's possibly the least Supermanly moment in any core Superman book, ever. He should have found a different way of handling it. What he did just felt a bit too contrived and convenient. They were basically powerless ordinary humans threatening that they'd gain superpowers and come wreck shop at his place too.

The way it was followed up was pretty good, though.

Mark_Aurel

First Post
DanMcS said:
Meh. Conversations meander, it's not worth worrying about. Besides, I get to hear of cool things I haven't read yet. :)

Have you read Authority (the first volume, not the current, which is far inferior) or Planetary? If you like the Ultimates, I'm pretty sure those might be good reads too.

And issue 7 of Ultimate Fantastic Four can be found here, if you haven't read it:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook/marvel/ultff/

Supreme Power is also very, very good, and currently my favorite comic.

Last edited:

Mark_Aurel

First Post
Villano said:
I'd agree with you if Millar's statements consisted of something more than calling certain politicians "Hitler" and the US "Nazi Germany" over and over and over again. There's no differing perspectives or worldviews there, just hurled insults.

If you asked me how I felt about, say, Scotland, and I said, "Scotland? Nazi Germany is more like it. All the politicians are Hitler wannabes and the Scots are brainwashed sheep. Living there is like living under Hitler", would you say I was just expressing a different political perspective or that I was spewing hate?

Look, I understand that people in the world have different opinions. Peter David said he was against the war, but, AFAIK, he never stooped to calling people who disagreed with him "Nazis" or "Hitler". Millar crossed a line, IMO.

Well, you can belive what you want, but, as I said, I wouldn't buy something by someone who was Anti-Semetic or racist. It's my money and I simply don't want to give it to someone who's a jerk.

Let me ask you, if Millar said that to a group of black people, would they be offended? If he then said he was joking, would they be any less offended?

Well, good for you. As I said, I'm not telling anyone not to buy it, just why I won't.

But where did you dig up those quotes? The only place I know of that Millar regularly posts is http://www.millarworld.biz - and I don't see him post much at the political boards there.

Villano

First Post
Mark_Aurel said:
But where did you dig up those quotes? The only place I know of that Millar regularly posts is http://www.millarworld.biz - and I don't see him post much at the political boards there.

Sorry for the late reply. On Friday, my computer decided to start acting up. My sister's idiot boyfriend is a supposed computer expert and he said he could fix it for me. I was worried, but he assured me that he works with computers and he's done this "a million times" and that he would back up all my info on a disc.

So, he replaces some parts and reboots everything. Then he goes to download the disc...and did I mention he's an idiot? The disc is blank. Whatever he did, he did wrong and I lost everything. All my documents, websites, and even my e-mail. I mentioned he was an idiot, right? I spent the weekend trying to replace all my lost stuff. Losing the pictures and websites was bad, but I could deal with that. What really pisses me off is the lost e-mail addresses. :(

Getting back on topic, I never had links to most of the stuff he said. Most of it was said on interviews on various comic websites back when the war first started. As I said earlier, I only had one link, to a German website which I forwarded on to Mog Elffoe, and now I no longer even have that. Sorry, I wish I could help, but everything is gone. :( :(

Welverin

First Post
Mog Elffoe said:
There are plenty of comics out there that are not 'brutal and grotesque' and are still good reading.

Bone. If you don't like Bone, I hate you.

Piratecat said:
Ultimate Spiderman started me reading Marvel comicbooks again. The other Ultimate titles are good, but Ultimate Spidey is consistently the best comic I'm currently buying. Great stuff. :)

I believe it was the same for me, I had stopped getting pretty much anything from them, but then USM came out and I said “Bendis plus Spidey, how can it be bad?”

To expand on what I said earlier I feel it’s the best Spidey book since Untold Tales of Spider-man, which was by Busiek, so it shouldn’t be surprising it was good.

Welverin

First Post
Villano said:
The problem is that I've already read these stories in the regular Marvel Universe. It's like buying a "best of tape" for a series I've already seen.

But as I said they were intended for people who aren't familiar with them, though I still suggest you give Ultimate Spider-man a chance, if you have a B&N, Borders, or similar store nearby drop in sometime when you have an hour or two and pick up one of the TPB's and start reading.

Mark_Aurel said:
Mark Millar is, as far as I can tell, a very, very big Superman fan. He loves Superman. He wrote Red Son, which is one of the best Superman stories to appear in recent years. It's close to a perfect rendition of Superman.

I found it rather forced and don’t feel the characters actions in the second half of the story to be based on anything within, but to be simply a case of Millar saying “Well I want the story to go here so Supes needs to start acting like this now.”

Welverin said:
But as I said they were intended for people who aren't familiar with them, though I still suggest you give Ultimate Spider-man a chance, if you have a B&N, Borders, or similar store nearby drop in sometime when you have an hour or two and pick up one of the TPB's and start reading.
I wonder. The Amazon reviews say the opposite; that if you know all the backstory, the books are more interesting. I'm not a Spidey scholar, by any means, but I more or less know the story of the major villains and such. I'm finding Ultimate Spiderman (and the other Ultimate lines) absolutely fantastic. Got rid of a lot of the camp of the originals too, which is always a good thing.

In fact, I'm just catching up again on the trade paperbacks. One of the things I really like about these is that USM is on, what, issue 62 or so in stores now? And the trade paperbacks already released take you up the mid-fifties in episodes. They're really on top of those trade paperbacks, which is a better format to read (and collect) the comics, IMO. And its great not having to wait years to get them.

UXM is just about as good; the trade paperbacks take us up to the late 30s? Early 40s? And the issue coming out next week is only 48.

Zef

First Post
Mog Elffoe said:
IAs far as the series' 'nastiness' goes my major gripe is with the Hulk eating people. Sorry, but he can't be a hero I can root for in any fashion after eating people. That really, really bugs me.

It does seem very strange that a "hero" would be doing this, but I do like the way they write the torment of Banner. The only reason I can think they are doing this is to build up to a big Hulk hero story arc

Zef

Remove ads