D&D General The Unofficial Settings You Want Published for D&D

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'd reeeeeeally like to see an OGL adaptation of Dennis L. McKiernan's world of Mithgar. It'll never happen because $$$ and because D&D isn't the system he uses for his own Mithgar campaigns, but a guy can dream, right?

Gilladian

Adventurer
Hiya!

I think I'm going to go with:

Aarenis

That's the world/area from the "Deed of Paksenarrion" books by Elizabeth Moon. I'm still on the 2nd book, I put it down a LONG time ago and never got back...and left it at work, where I don't anymore. :( I really got connected to Paks in the first book and loved how the world "felt". It felt like a good setting pretty much built for 1e AD&D. I swear it must have been...the parallels are just too good.

The "world" is a small section of the larger whole in the book(s?), but it has just the right amount of info, without going into hyper-detail like the FR or Middle Earth....enough to poke my imagination, but not so much that what I imagine is constantly getting written over by "more official detail". If Aarenis was handled this way, pretty much like the World of Greyhawk Folio, I'd be ALL in! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming
The books were based on a dnd campaign. They do the moathouse in book 2. I need to reread!

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I don't dislike the idea of a Kalamar 5E but I have read relations between Kenzer and WotC aren't very good for a second partnership.
And Kenzer is also busy with their own games these days. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it would be nice. Kingdoms of Kalamar is such a great setting, and it deserves more attention.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Yoon Suin , aka the purple lands The best D&D setting I have ever purchased. I don't understand why it's not well known out of OSR circles.
You know, I should do a better job at explaining why Yoon-suin is good.

1: are you tired of yet another pseudo-european medieval/renaissance setting? yoon suin if for you

2: filled with great ideas for encounters/adventures

3: new races and new monsters

4: it features a campaign builder, with a very clear example of how to use it.

5: good variety in settings - you can adventure in the port city of Yoon Suin, but if you want exploring ancient ruins, jungle adventures, mountain adventures, river adventures... trade, intrigue, exploration, military campaign.... there is a lot of room for different styles of play.

6: Because Yoon-Suin is so different from the traditional setting, it is possible to play as locals, but also as visitors from another land (which could be the "generic D&D Europe" if you want), or a mixture of both.

7: Open questions and room to build. For example, the Krakens and their servants, the squid-men, have dark design for the Yellow City. What are they? Why? That's up to you to determine! (and if you ... really don't care about them... don't include them!)

It really opened my eyes to how much more a campaign setting could be.

Remove ads