• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Vampie Class preview

Walking Dad

First Post
... An elf will often be forced to adventure outside a forest, but a smart vampire will seldom be forced to fight in direct sunlight.
That both depends on the DM, not the player. There are many published adventures for instance that are almost fully in the forest, with not much difficult terrain in the other parts.
Having to live with the DM saying:
Oh, yeah, that fancy jump, you know what, your cloak moved away enough to let you take damage. Hah, that will keep you from taking part in the daylight part of the adventure. You should have been smart and go buy a pizza during the other players protecting the princess.

Dausuul

Legend
That both depends on the DM, not the player. There are many published adventures for instance that are almost fully in the forest, with not much difficult terrain in the other parts.
Having to live with the DM saying:
Oh, yeah, that fancy jump, you know what, your cloak moved away enough to let you take damage. Hah, that will keep you from taking part in the daylight part of the adventure. You should have been smart and go buy a pizza during the other players protecting the princess.

That's got nothing to do with house rules, that's the DM being an arbitrary dick. A house rule is a rule, as in, applied consistently: If you roll a 1 on an attack, your cloak blows aside and you take a round's worth of sunlight damage.

gyor

Legend
J
Speaking of which, there better be a rule that de-nerfs longtooth shifter vampires, unless you expect DMs to constantly throw clerics at them. :p

What nerf? I like the idea of razor clawshifter as well, innate vampiric alaristy. Plus not many vamps can be defeated by a ball of string.

I thinking that a vampire shardmind with telepathic substance feat would be essentially feeding his allies with blood instead of food and air. Heck give it a Dire Shark Mount with beast growth ritual cast on and the flying horse shoe item and call the character a Sharkmind.

Incenjucar

Legend
J

What nerf? I like the idea of razor clawshifter as well, innate vampiric alaristy. Plus not many vamps can be defeated by a ball of string.

Longtooth shifter regen and vampire regen don't stack, so the only time you'd get the full benefit of longtooth shifter regen is when you get hit by radiant damage. A feat that has some neat synergy would fix that up though.

Dice4Hire

First Post
J

I thinking that a vampire shardmind with telepathic substance feat would be essentially feeding his allies with blood instead of food and air. Heck give it a Dire Shark Mount with beast growth ritual cast on and the flying horse shoe item and call the character a Sharkmind.

Ok, I was wrong upthread. NOW it is getting weird.

gyor

Legend
How about a (formerly dhampyr) revenant vampire, with the Archlich epic destiny, for which she qualifies by multiclassing into vestige pact warlock?

She's sort of dead, mostly dead, all dead, deader than dead, and she sees dead people. :)

You forgot to add Vryloka and Vampire noble pp so it would be A Vryloka Dampyr Reverent Vampire Vampire Noble MC Vestige Archlich. With the summon undead servant ritual from open graves and the lich ritual from the same book.

Walking Dad

First Post
That's got nothing to do with house rules, that's the DM being an arbitrary dick. A house rule is a rule, as in, applied consistently: If you roll a 1 on an attack, your cloak blows aside and you take a round's worth of sunlight damage.
That is much better, but I still dislike it a bit.
I like how other system gives a character 'Action Points' or 'Hero Points' when such a complication comes up.

gyor

Legend
Ok, I was wrong upthread. NOW it is getting weird.

Oh I'm just getting Started, I have an idea for a Changeling Dampyr Blackguard Sharessian. Whose father is an ancient Vampiric Batrachi Lord from Nadezhda, a Doppelganger Empire I read a little bit about on Candle Keep and which is reference in the Grand History of the Realms on a map. His mother is a Shade that bedded his father in exchange for ancient Nadezhda Shadow Magic Secrets. She secretly worships Sharess but in her Darker pre time of troubles form, when Shar and her were tight. He distains Shar and Bazrim Gorag as insane and in a theological disagreement with both parents he flees to the Shadowfell. He journeys to the Shadowfells reflection of Calimshan's festhall of eternal delight which resembles the temple from before its desruction during the time of troubles. Hounded by Shadar Kai assasins and vampire spawn he acts in deperation and feeds a part of his soul to the Specetral Panthers that dwell thier in exchange for a shard of thier souls. The part of his soul he feed them was the part that was connected to his sense of satisfaction meaning he is never slated for long, but in exchange he gained a powerful connection to the Alpha Panther drive to sexual dominance. Now simple love making no longer satisfies unless thiers an element of sexual conquest or deception to it, and from this dark drive he draws his power. He still retains his fathers obsession rebuilding Nadezhda but with himself as eternal High Batrachi Lord as of course his greater belevence makes him more worthy then his bloodsucking brain eatting father. Not that he tells his father this as he wishes to learn the magical arts of the Nadezhda Chameleons.

I also have an idea for a Shade Gloom Pact Hexblade mc Warlord Shadow Captain that rides around on his Flaming Skull familiar like a floating dark burning throne carved from his own innate shadow magic. A big black skull with burning purple and green flames.

Or a Foulborn Kalastar that instead of having part of his soul being part quori is part of Caiphon or Hadar, or a fusion of the two. He'd be an invoker mc psion pp alienist that summons twisted Abberant infused angels that got trapped in the far realms. Godmind or Shadow Ed for added twists. That just a start.

Another idea I call the Jester of death A Vryloka Necromancer mc bard that uses a music implement and dresses his undead minions as actors using them as a theatre troop of horrors.

A tiefling binder prince of hell gloom pact that binds damned souls that escaped to the Shadowfell from Hell and the Towers of night in the hopes protecting them from thier dark masters.

A deva vampire that fears the night instead of the day for that is when her hunger grows strongest and she hears the calls of the Rakashas when she feeds on blood.

A Shade Elan Infernal Hexblade that seeks to become the perfection of Shadow in the hopes that her soul can escape Belial's clutches.

an am I desturbed or what?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads