• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Vampie Class preview

Incenjucar

Legend
That whole "wear a cloak" thing mostly makes the sunlight vulnerability into pure fluff, but that's fine. The class will have some interesting interactions with a few other classes that do interesting stuff with surges, but probably won't be broken until they get one of those epic destinies that gives you infinite uses of encounter powers.

My only issue from what I can figure out from what they have there is it suffers from a particularly strong case of the barely-any-options thing that defines Essentials-style classes. Still, looks like an enjoyable class with interesting mechanics.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
This was a preview of the stalker build. According to the table of contents there is also a beguiler build. I am guessing that will be a controller.

Dice4Hire

First Post
A good preview. It gives a good idea of the vampire and how he/she/it will interact with the party. Basically a healing surge machine. This character will likely never run out of surges.

Can a vampire spend their surges to heal themselves? I am not sure from the preview.

Edit: Ok, I see if they have more than their normal max after a short rest they lose them and full heal. Nice if badly wounded and they only are plus one surge. I imagine they can heal from a Healing word normally, and will be getting occasional surges from powers (and probably spending them) on powers.

I gotta admit, that is an interesting mechanic, and fits the vampires very well.

The potential gathering of healing surges over the day could be very strong if the vampire has ways to give them away to other party members.

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Yes, I noted the "wear a cloak" bit. I suppose they needed to do something like this, especially considering how hard darkvision is for heroes to get.

But still, it is a bit easy to get around.

Incenjucar

Legend
Honestly, with their regeneration and extra surges, they should be able to get by fine on the usual methods of healing in the game. Combine with battleminds and artificers...

And yeah, this is one of the two possible builds. It's possible that they'll be two completely separate classes sharing a mutual tiny number of level 2 utility powers for options :p. I wonder what their implement will be.

--

Overall I think WotC's current game plan is to release many classes with little to no support and few options, since class books sell so much better than support books. Why make a class with twenty ways to build a character when you can make ten classes with two ways to build a character each?

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, DDI could cover additional abilities, feats and powers.

I do not DDI, but it seems the Heroes books have gotten very little support for more options from DDI.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads