• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Vase - Adventure

Khashul

First Post
I have created this adventure as a level 2 adventure for my party. I don't consider it finished yet but I would like some feedback on it so far.

I'm not an accomplished fantasy writer and it doesn't come naturally to me but I do enjoy the challenge it brings. The adventure could be used as it is right now but I do feel it can be improved, I'm just having difficulty with how to finish it. I would like feedback mostly on the usefulness the notes are for DM's, whether there are things that need improvements and if anyone has any ideas for new events they would be great too to flesh out the length of it.

http://www.filedump.net/dumped/nentirvase1213784427.pdf

Martin

Last edited:

runnerXL

First Post
Details on the vase picked out in diamonds, rubies and sapphires? Sorry to point this out but I'm pretty sure your players would be pissed if they did decide to steal it and then found that noone would buy it... *smash* and the sentimental value is gone and all you have left are the gems.

From a number crunchy point of view I think that an encounter with only 1 shambling mound is not a good plan. Characters shouldn't be facing a monster so far above their level and only solo monsters should go it alone against a party. I know the XP value fits but it is either going to be too hard or too easy (I'm going to guess too hard in this case). Use a solo creature closer to the parties level or advance a standard monster to solo.

Khashul

First Post
runnerXL said:
Details on the vase picked out in diamonds, rubies and sapphires? Sorry to point this out but I'm pretty sure your players would be pissed if they did decide to steal it and then found that noone would buy it... *smash* and the sentimental value is gone and all you have left are the gems.

From a number crunchy point of view I think that an encounter with only 1 shambling mound is not a good plan. Characters shouldn't be facing a monster so far above their level and only solo monsters should go it alone against a party. I know the XP value fits but it is either going to be too hard or too easy (I'm going to guess too hard in this case). Use a solo creature closer to the parties level or advance a standard monster to solo.

Didn't think about the smash value :) Changed that now.

I think the shambling mound should be fine really for a party of 6 or so of level 2's. I don't know though, what's everyone else's opinions? It can always be adjusted so it doesn't regenerate etc.

djdaidouji

First Post
I'm no mathematician, I can't even spell it without a spellcheck, but I concur that the shambling mound is overkill.
+12 to a reach 2 attack. Using the premade lv1 paladin from KotS with 20AC, that's an 8 or higher to hit on the mound's basic attack, and he's the highest AC there.

I say find a closer solo. A level 3 solo is a Young White Dragon. Ochre Jelly is a level 3 elite, which you can bump up to solo using the DMG rules. Or look around the forums for other monsters which are an appropriate level.

Unfortunately, you can't just spend XP freely, you have to give yourself level restrictions. If a creature is much too high a level, it will just kill a PC in one hit.

Khashul

First Post
Okay edited to an easier encounter level for a block in the road. As long as the DM doesn't hugely victimise it should be cool.

Remove ads