D&D 5E The Warblade?

Weiley31

Legend
Thanks again everybody for all your advice the Duskblade thread. Now for another one but this time involving everybody's favorite: The Warblade.

So pretty much, The Battlemaster is the Warblade. I see that because of the Maneuvers and when I think of the Warblade, it's ability to use Maneuvers. *Aside from the Crusader(Paladin/Cleric with Superiority die) or the Swordsage(Wizard with Superiority die)

My question is, would it.be better to reskin the various Maneuvers into the different nine disciplines of The Sublime Way, or is the list too small, and one should just make the Maneuvers represent one of the disciplines and flavor text everything else? Or even what would be the Discipline that represents all the Battlemaster Maneuvers?

Last edited:

I love the martial maneuvers like a midle step between at-will and once-encounter power but it is a simple and fast system to reload or only it will can be used by PCs, because it would be too slow for nPCs.

I imagine martial adepts as ki power source. Crusaders would be ki+divine, swordsages as ki + arcane, and warblades/kensai as only ki. Maybe soulknife as ki+psionic.

If Dark Sun is the "home" of the psionic powers, Oriental Adventures should be the home of the ki martial adepts.

And WotC should hire Dreamscarred Press for sourcebook about those classes.

Weiley31

Legend
Thats why the Battlemaster subclass always reminded me of them. I just don't know whether to flavor their Maneuvers as different styles or as just one style.

Monk for Crusaders is an interesting idea.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The BM sure has a lot of big shoes to fill. It's the 5e PH only way to fake a Warlord, or a Weaponmaster Fighter, or a non-casting Ranger, really.

Plus...

Thats why the Battlemaster subclass always reminded me of them. I just don't know whether to flavor their Maneuvers as different styles or as just one style.
The BM certainly seems to be less than the Warblade but the similarity, right down to the number of maneuvers known to a BM compared to the number readied by a Warblade, is pretty striking. Of course, when it comes down the sheer quantity and evocativeness of the Warblade's Maneuvers, the BM is bereft by comparison.

If you don't want to add tons of maneuvers and just want to adapt the BM to cover a Warblade concept now and then, I'd say consider the BM Maneuvers to be generic, and fluff them a little differently for each style rather than trying to further sub-divide them.

Like this Warblade?
6450a3c85183d1a5b8783bcc27e5e6c5.jpg

It would be nice to have a fully martial class that ran off daily resources even if purely as an Unearthed Arcana type experiment*. I'd do that if converting something from Book of Nine Swords. I seem to recall having come across a homebrew "Martial Adept" class somewhere that did that, with each of the Nine Swords classes as subclasses.

*It would never get past that anyway, because even if all the math were spot on it would get widely judged as "broken".

Last edited:

I imagine the warlord as a martial adept with maneuvers of the white raven school.

And I would like the shugyōsha as a martial adept class with a background close to the samurai.

Have you seen the SRD of the classes by Dreamscarred Press?

And I advice a simple way to reload maneuvers for faster fights, more if any nPCs also use martial maneuvers. Have you tried to be a DM in a fight with crusaders in both sides?

Tony Vargas

Legend
It would be nice to have a fully martial class that ran off daily resources even if purely as an Unearthed Arcana type experiment*. I'd do that if converting something from Book of Nine Swords. I seem to recall having come across a homebrew "Martial Adept" class somewhere that did that, with each of the Nine Swords classes as subclasses.

*It would never get past that anyway, because even if all the math were spot on it would get widely judged as "broken".
As long as the direct single-target option deliver DPR at 6-8 encounters/2-3 short rests at least a bit below the DPR champ fighter builds, should be able to pass for balanced, just like all the other daily-resource-heavy classes.

Remove ads