D&D 5E The warlock is a "better" wizard than a wizard

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I don't agree with your premise but I did want to mention that I've long thought the Warlock should be intelligence based rather than charisma based. There are far too many charisma casters in this game, and you know the folks clever enough to gain power from an otherworldly being are likely to be the smarties in the room but not necessarily the charmers.
I'm very disappointed in you with not agreeing with my premise. :D

That being said, you have a point, but wizards can be wizards because they are so smart they can understand the magical laws of the universe and manipulate them. If you can do that, you don't need a pact with another otherworldly being...

A campaign setting where wizards don't exist but warlocks do? yeah, int-based warlocks make a lot of sense.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
In fact, with Eldritch Blast dealing one of the least resisted damage types and having lots of avenues for enhancement, I would argue it’s usually better not to take attack cantrips with those other slots. 90% of the time EB will be the only attack cantrip you need, may as well get some good utility out of the rest.
Yep, I completely agree. Attack cantrips are fine and all, but once you have eldritch blast and toll the dead, you've pretty much got all the attacks you need. This opens you up to other utility cantrips, like guidance and message, things that can round out your character's style.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
A campaign setting where wizards don't exist but warlocks do? yeah, int-based warlocks make a lot of sense.
I really like the idea of an Intelligence-based warlock. It never set right with me that the warlock was Charisma-based, like bards or sorcerers. (Wisdom seemed a better fit in my mind, but then again, making pacts with fiends isn't exactly wise...)

This could be an interesting house rule.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
In a world where there are no wizards, only int-based warlock, eldritch blast is called... magic missile :D

Don't forget that EB cannot target objects however, that is a limitation. I would consider allowing more "cantrip adders invocations" so that other cantrips are more viable however, not just EB. Of course a damage booster like Agonizing blast (super chilly frost ray! extra burny fire bolt!), but also perhaps other things that fit the cantrip. Repelling blast makes sense for a frost effect, what other effect could we tack on cantrips?

Rikka66

Adventurer
Am I on to something? does this make any sense?
It makes sense, though your point has nothing to do with the title of your topic. Your issue is with how magic is handled in D&D 5e in general.

I really like the idea of an Intelligence-based warlock. It never set right with me that the warlock was Charisma-based, like bards or sorcerers. (Wisdom seemed a better fit in my mind, but then again, making pacts with fiends isn't exactly wise...)

This could be an interesting house rule.
Already a houserule in my game. Though no one was ever taken me up on it. IME players tend to ignore the "seekers of knowledge and power" angle the PHB emphasizes and instead lean towards "buffoon who stumbles into power."

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm very disappointed in you with not agreeing with my premise. :D

That being said, you have a point, but wizards can be wizards because they are so smart they can understand the magical laws of the universe and manipulate them. If you can do that, you don't need a pact with another otherworldly being...

If Warlocks had the Wizard spell list, and could swap spells on a short rest to anything on the Wizards list, then I'd agree with your premise.

To me, wizards are the ones who run up against a challenge and say, "Oh, right, I read about that once! Let me look that up."

For example, Wizards almost never prepare a knock spell. But they can come up with a knock spell given some time to memorize it for a specific problem which requires a knock spell.

Warlocks just blast the door with an eldritch blast for an hour until it caves in. Because that's the tool they have. :)

Remove ads