• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Warlord shouldn't be a class... change my mind!

Manchurian

Villager
The Idea Of Several Different Fighter Types Is Feasible.....It Should Be A Class!....I Could Tweek A Ranger Cleric To Do The Same..But For All Purposes I Have To Say It's Reasonable For It...For Example Just Because I Have Jedi's And Sith Lord's Running Around In My Campaign Does not Mean I can't Have Paladins And Antipaladins Also🤔Another example..... The Beast master And The Hunter Class Also....The Same But Different spectrums.....There is other kits that the Warlord Class Can be Used For Like Warlord/Necromancer . Get some of those vile feats in the ad&d book of Vile Darkness Time of Damnation.....This could be A Hell Of A Antagonist.... Cause he can power up his undead bonus hit bonuses strength bonuse hitdice and it stacks....This Warlord Class If Melded Right Is A Beast For Those Who Thought it Shouldn't Be .. let me add again some class abilities don't stack with cross classing but these actually due stack without a Tweak.🤯👩‍🔧..So Yes.. Warlord Class Awesome. .Depends How You Use Him And What Templates And Subclasses you Put on His Build
But I Think It Is Sound To Have The Class....For Flavor if Nothing Else....but my quick build of this Warlord/Necromancer As A Duel Class . .these fighters combos mentioned Here would not just walk Over The Warlord Classes As Easy As They Would Think....scenario....you can control hit dice of undead as long it doesn't exceed your hit dice..... so these augments That the Warlord Class Can Do Plus his vile feats from book of darkness and the necromancer Handbook.... Make him Able To Augment Undead Power of Attack. And even after that he can further Augment The Undeads power level.. as long as he don't exceed there hitdice above his own..... there in his control.....Along drawn out Battle is the last thing you want with A..Warlord/Necromancer.....So It's Clear They Are Worthy Of A Class..🤪..It leaves enough room to make this guy way more versatile With Stacks..... That Party Will prey For A Cleric Or Wizard Just To Counter It ...Cause Those Hack An slash Fighters Ain't Gonna Make It Unless They Eliminate The Warlord/Necromancer Quick .. How Quick? Quick Enough To Keep This Guy From Going To The Local Grave Yard,Keep Him from fields of war... Or any death.....He reaths of army and I Know You Agree ...🤓🤪😳 The worst Villian Don't always fight up front....they send there minions and vassals.. This Build Is Really Capable of Pissing Off Player Characters..... Lol 😎🥇 I Vote Yes Warlord Class Feasible!!!

Manchurian

Villager

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191218-215654.png
    Screenshot_20191218-215654.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 130

Just looking at some of the options the battlemaster has...you could do some neat things with just a little tweaking.

ie. If "Commanders strike" allowed you to spend multiple superiority dice to have different allies attack the same target on the same turn, then you would have the components of a nova strike.

eg. Hit with Maneuvering attack*, spend a die to move an ally into position against someone you and and another ally are already facing - then expend two die to have those allies go nova and each make an attack.

Or you just take the Purple Dragon Knight level 3 and level 10 abilities and add them to the core Fighter (would it really break anything?). Then you can go throw in action surge on top of the above.

*Similarly would it hurt to be able to spend additional dice to move more than one person?

Last edited:

Manchurian

Villager
I think there's an issue with the Warlord as I hinted at earlier in the thread in that it covers a whole lot of things - some of which are easier to implement in 5e than others.

The 4E warlord could
  • give up attacks to make others attack (lazylord when taken to extremes)
  • provide static buffs to other classes (in 5E this would be done by having effects such as bless granting advantage or something like a Paladin's aura).
  • Healing (difficult to implement in 5E due to the different ways healing works without it being explicitly magical) - there are things you can do - eg temp hps and the like - but they probably wouldn't add up to the abilities of the 4E warlord in this area. (i.e no "Stand the Fallen Daily when you rouse your unconcious allies heal the whole party and yell "Once more into the breach".)
  • Act as Force multiplier - abilities to make an attack and then grant an ability to others to make an attack. Or charge and others charge to - or attack and then move an ally - or push a guy and then every ally that's adjacent gets an attack. This could easily done in 5E - The Battlemaster can already spend short rest resource to make an attack with a reaction - it wouldn't break anything in particular to grant others an attack on their reaction. (This is the one thing that - except for the one Purple Dragon Knight tenth level feature is completely lacking in 5E.)
  • Grant movement to allies, shift the game boards around etc (easily doable in 5E as the Battlemaster has a limited version of this and the glamour bard has a major version).

You can easily make a subclass that does some of the above things - there's probably not a subclass with enough scope to all of those things.

Rob Schwalbe's Warlord class (which as I always point out in these threads already exists - and is written by one of 5E's designers - but which for some reason is always ignored), covers most of the above points - it has attack granting from level 2 (so no beginning as a lazy lord) it has buffs and buffs, it has some movement granting abilities - although mostly in the capacity of extra movement. What it doesn't do - which is what I personally enjoyed most about the 4E warlord is allow the big "I attack and then you attack" options or the off turn moves and combo set-ups. (But it's difficult to really pull of this sort of combo without the inclusion of an equivalent of daily powers).
I Like Your Take On The Things You Say.....But I do believe we created a beast justifing The Additional Special fighter class is Very Feasible....That Warlord/Necromancer Is Not No Joke......It's Stacking Ability Alone Makes It A mid to high level threat.... not just because of fighting ability which must fighters have an advantage in the Warlord But He Makes Up For That Creating And Out Break Of Unholy Hell.....The Fact That he Doesn't leave his strong Hold even means the Heroes have or may have to go thru an army to get to him....They finally meet him but there power level down extremely.....Epic Battle and team work at a mid level Easy story line.....If You Had A Choice What Would Be The ideal Character you Would Put up Against Him....Dual or multi ..? This is very interesting conversation ...Cause we both see the ups and downs of this fight....what would your ideal Character class combo be to put up against the Warlord/Necromancer?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
  • Grant movement to allies, shift the game boards around etc (easily doable in 5E as the Battlemaster has a limited version of this and the glamour bard has a major version).
Definitely some of the coolness right there
Just looking at some of the options the battlemaster has...you could do some neat things with just a little tweaking.

ie. If "Commanders strike" allowed you to spend multiple superiority dice to have different allies attack the same target on the same, then you would have the components of a nova strike.

A baseline thing I think of is allowing a fighter to trade an attack to scan for an opening which allows him to make the next attack as though he had a superiority die for it.

eg. Hit with Maneuvering attack*, spend a die to move an ally into position against someone you and and another ally are already facing - then expend two die to have those allies go nova and each make an attack.
Spending more attacks, spending more die, alternate action surge uses i have all seen suggested.

Manchurian

Villager
Definitely some of the coolness right there

A baseline thing I think of is allowing a fighter to trade an attack to scan for an opening which allows him to make the next attack as though he had a superiority die for it.

Spending more attacks, spending more die, alternate action surge uses i have all seen suggested.
Are these Arkadian knights good or evil ...? This Makes a Hell of A Difference....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Are these Arkadian knights good or evil ...? This Makes a Hell of A Difference....
:p are akin to Paladins except with an Arcane / Wizardry flavor (perhaps a touch of Fae as they have a legend of a magical place they wish to recreate or get to) they believe humanity can achieve greatness and happiness via magic and science, I mean arcane lore. Most seem good but they are willing to take big risks purely for pushing frontiers of knowledge (so some might actually be willing to do things they shouldn't)

Manchurian

Villager
I See Arkadians have renegade nights.. .If He Is Evil He May Subjegate The Warlord Seeing His Worth But only if he more powerful..... But the Added Problem is If The Warlord Is Undead Or Not Could Be A Deciding Factor because of the undead template or undead spawning....Spawning doesn't include control of undead but it sure as hell is a stumbling block for a city or a dungeon near a city or abandoned ruins.....Open Field Arkadian Knight Has Good Slight Advantage But Ruins or Dungeons that Stafe Attack Won't Play Easily.... But Dam. . THIS WAS AN EXCELLENT MATCHUP VS NONE THE LESS MY NEW FRIEND.... EXCELLENT MIND PARLAY ON THIS BATTLE SCENARIO

Manchurian

Villager
I See Arkadians have renegade nights.. .If He Is Evil He May Subjegate The Warlord Seeing His Worth But only if he more powerful..... But the Added Problem is If The Warlord Is Undead Or Not Could Be A Deciding Factor because of the undead template or undead spawning....Spawning doesn't include control of undead but it sure as hell is a stumbling block for a city or a dungeon near a city or abandoned ruins.....Open Field Arkadian Knight Has Good Slight Advantage But Ruins or Dungeons that Stafe Attack Won't Play Easily.... But Dam. . THIS WAS AN EXCELLENT MATCHUP VS NONE THE LESS MY NEW FRIEND.... EXCELLENT MIND PARLAY ON THIS BATTLE SCENARIO
These Arkadians Remind Me Of Dark eldar or high elves from Warhammer Alittle

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
These Arkadians Remind Me Of Dark eldar or high elves from Warhammer Alittle
The place some pine for or paradise they want to create on earth is called Arcadia. They might consider or treat wizards and artificiers with the respect you find others reserve for priests. The game world has a group or loose philosophic association? not sure what to think of it as, called restorationists who want all of humanity to have the heritage of knowledge and magic that once drenched the world. Arcadians are kind of a step up from that.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads