D&D 5E The Warlord shouldn't be a class... change my mind!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One might allow a Mearles deisgn tactical Warlord a bonus on area of his area of focus based on the mental attribute (wisdom for perception perhaps). Allow some mental attributes to be initiative and allow them to use those to aid allies initiative if they roll highest. Allow a boost of superiority dice for their functions based on the attribute and others to have range boosts. (my charisma might increase the distance my allies notice the clues and commands i leave to aid them.) This is a Clever/Smart/Perceptive fighter having that shown in attributes themselves and hence having them serve the character in all arenas is the point.

Last edited:

Manchurian

Villager
What if your spell number was inhibited notably by not having better intelligence or conversely from your point of view enhanced greatly.

The class has be designed with Intelligence/Wisdom/Charisma as very valuable. You have to make the other attribute just as important to to being functionally warlording as the Con is for that fighter and tie attributes to that Warlordness. Then to be uber fighter they end up meh Warlord or meh Swordmage.
People have to make the prerequisites for class whether dual/multi/Gestalts....etc. and other before they go into it for it be to be an option none the less.... There's no way getting out of prerequisites period unless you playing immortal or a God.....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
People have to make the prerequisites for class whether dual/multi/Gestalts....etc. and other before they go into it for it be to be an option none the less.... There's no way getting out of prerequisites period unless you playing immortal or a God.....
Wrong edition that applies to multiclassing and some feats. The door to being in a class does not have a you must be this tall it instead has benefits for when you are this tall. And the former results in minimal investment without real incentive for more.

That doesn't sound right ... sorry yes you can design a Warlord for earlier editions 1 - 3 as well.

Last edited:

Manchurian

Villager
Substitute magic items Ioun Stones And Relics.....also can compensate and boost

Manchurian

Villager
Wrong edition that applies to multiclassing and some feats. The door to being in a class does not have a you must be this tall it instead has benefits for when you are this tall. And the former results in minimal investment without real incentive for more.

That doesn't sound right ... sorry yes you can design a Warlord for earlier editions 1 - 3 as well.
Smart Thing To Do Is Just Take snippets of both Warlords and compile as a single class.......

Manchurian

Villager
Title says it all. In effect, although I haven't played any edition other than 5e, my impression of the Warlord is that it is a class that excels in handing out bonuses to allies. These bonuses are all based upon the idea of an inspirational leader who is able to inspire, cajole, or otherwise boost their allies into getting some extra benefits to help them in battle.

I think that's a fun angle for a PC to have, especially when it's not based on magic. But here's the thing; it's hard for me to imagine someone who's just that. Robin Hood may be a warlord, but he's also a ranger. John Carter may be a warlord, but he's also a fighter. Conan may be a warlord, but he's also a barbarian. And when people hear warlord, they think of a person leading large groups of soldiers and controlling territory, not a guy directing a small group of adventurers.

If you do a google search of warlord, you get a collection of images of people that are mostly knights, soldiers, and samurai... archetypes already filled in other classes.

So what's my point? That although the warlord's schtick (giving boosts to allies through non-magical means) is a good one, it isn't one that I find particularly good alone, either mechanically or thematically.

However, I do think the warlord angle is a good idea as a subclass for several different classes, with these "inspiration abilities" layered over the classes base skills. I've already given some thematic examples of fictional characters above, but I'll give more ideas for names for some below (and these are just things I can think of easily, I'm sure one for each class can be devised);

• Barbarian: Path of the Conqueror
  • Cleric: Inquisition Domain
  • Fighter: Commander
  • Paladin: Oath of the Crusade
  • Ranger: Bandit Lord
  • Wizard: Battle School

Add rules for mass combat, and bingo you got something that I think is pretty cool, and a lot more appropriate than a new class.
Warlord/Assassin...The Variants could warrant this in a high magic world......I feel he should give get bonuses of both....which allows him Specialization of both his crafts .. plus the allotment of Hirelings from both ....a guild of assassins and a Castle.....at start he gets Treasure of both ...extra leader ship extra troops.Man. ..Samurai is a shogan....keep in mind there's a difference between people who wage War And People Who Are Warlords.....,,⚔️

Remove ads