The Washington Post Weighs In On D&D!

Russ Morrissey

Comments

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
I have to wonder how long this wave is going to last?! Is it going to become a regular cultural pastime? I can’t see why it wouldn’t, it’s an easy way to have fun with friends. But it also seems amazing that it could.

LuisCarlos17f

Explorer
RPGs will be more popular because we are enough used to videogames, and lots of geeks love to create their own "fanart", and this is the key of the RPGs, about creating your own world, characters and stories. It isn't passive like reading a comic or watching a movie, but making choices, nobody knows what it will happen, learning to failure and to risk, to find a solution by means of social skills, to find the right balance between self-criticism and faith in oneself.

Ed Laprade

Villager
Writes about D&D, shows LARPers. Color me unimpressed. The only reason they care is because they can lump all RPG related stuff together. Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity. (Or so they say.)

zedturtle

Explorer
Writes about D&D, shows LARPers. Color me unimpressed. The only reason they care is because they can lump all RPG related stuff together. Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity. (Or so they say.)
Did you even read the article (and see the pictures of normal folks playing)? Did you read the caption for the photo where they are a D&D group that enjoys dressing up?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Honestly that is the first thing I thought. I have had friends assume we dress up and put on elf ears when playing D&D since it seems they see that a lot when they come across some random article or picture of D&D players.

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Did you even read the article (and see the pictures of normal folks playing)? Did you read the caption for the photo where they are a D&D group that enjoys dressing up?
So ... LARPing and dressing up was always that "bridge too far" for me. Kinda like the whole, "You've gone too far" brigade.

Which is hypocritical as heck, because, well, it's not cool for one geek to say, "Hey, I'm cool playing D&D and debating Picard v. Kirk, but RenFaire? NERDS!"

But with anime and videogames and whatnot, the whole Cosplay thing is pretty huge now. It's seriously mainstream, well, fairly mainstream. :)

So ... joke's on me? "No thanks, I don't dress up, I just roll dice and play my archaic TTRPG."

theworstdm

Villager
Unfortunately, they included one of my least favorite tropes from mainstream articles about RPGs; you can find some variation of the "No longer is it a game to hide out with in Mom’s basement." line in almost every one of these articles.

Elfcrusher

Adventurer
So ... LARPing and dressing up was always that "bridge too far" for me. Kinda like the whole, "You've gone too far" brigade.

Which is hypocritical as heck, because, well, it's not cool for one geek to say, "Hey, I'm cool playing D&D and debating Picard v. Kirk, but RenFaire? NERDS!"

But with anime and videogames and whatnot, the whole Cosplay thing is pretty huge now. It's seriously mainstream, well, fairly mainstream. :)

So ... joke's on me? "No thanks, I don't dress up, I just roll dice and play my archaic TTRPG."
"I use an eastern European accent for my dwarves, not Scottish, so no I'm not a geek."

Dausuul

Legend
The burning question of the day: Are the people in the picture LARPers or cosplayers? We must discover to which costumed tribe they belong, so that we may know whether to welcome them among us, or drive them hence with wailing and lamentations.

Elfcrusher

Adventurer
The burning question of the day: Are the people in the picture LARPers or cosplayers? We must discover to which costumed tribe they belong, so that we may know whether to welcome them among us, or drive them hence with wailing and lamentations.
Honestly I think WotC should just offer jobs to all of them, regardless of what they play. It would be worth it just to see a certain sub-group of gamers turn an apoplectic shade of purple.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Have you clicked through to the article? Because the picture has a big old caption and stuff. Your answer is literally just a click away.

Parmandur

Legend

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

Dausuul

Legend
Have you clicked through to the article? Because the picture has a big old caption and stuff. Your answer is literally just a click away.
I did click through to the article, and read it, and it was quite good (thanks for posting, by the way). I did not process whether the people in the picture were LARPing or cosplaying because I don't actually care; I'm just poking some gentle fun at the peculiar tribalisms of the RPG world.

M.T. Black

Explorer
More interesting to me is the estimate the article includes of the current number of D&D players worldwide - 40 million!

Advertisement

Latest threads

Advertisement