Dragonlance "The Women of Dragonlance" -- Larry Elmore's New Dragonlance Painting

Iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore has been working on a new Dragonlance painting. He has been sharing progress pictures over recent weeks. This is apparently a commission for a client, and is entitled "The Women of Dragonlance". There's a new trilogy of Dragonlance novels coming from authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman featuring "classic Dragonlance" branding.

Iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore has been working on a new Dragonlance painting. He has been sharing progress pictures over recent weeks. This is apparently a commission for a client, and is entitled "The Women of Dragonlance".

There's a new trilogy of Dragonlance novels coming from authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman featuring "classic Dragonlance" branding.

elmore_dl_2021.jpg

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Is Tyler's work CGI or traditional? I realize he is of the generation that means it is in all likelihood done digitally, but I couldn't find out for sure.

Also, as am amateur artist (both traditional and digital) I can attest that digital work of the quality that Tyler is producing (assuming it is digital) takes as much skill as traditional art. The big difference is time, not skill, IMO.
Yeah, digital artwork still requires the same amount of skill, main difference is that you can more easily fix a mistake or experiment with colours.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I'm more of an Erol Otus/Darlene Pekul/Dave Sutherland guy, but Elmore is clearly the master at this particular style of art.

But my first thought was: where's Takhisis?

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, digital artwork still requires the same amount of skill, main difference is that you can more easily fix a mistake or experiment with colours.
Well to be honest there are different types of digital artwork and some may require less skill. However, I was referring to digital painting and illustration which requires a similar level of skill.

Digital photo manipulation requires some different skills, but I don't know that I can qualify it as the same amount of skill as traditional or digital painting / illustration

teitan

Legend
It's CGI I'll always respect hand drawn over CGI.
It’s still hand drawn when painted on a computer and requires the same level of technical skill plus some including learning how to use photoshop and other software to produce the images. The only difference is they can go into greater and greater detail with computers using different zoom functions. I prefer hand work myself for those that can do the insanely detailed painting (hint, those are colored pencils over the acrylic to get the finer details) but I would never take away from digital artists by calling it CGI.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
When looking at art for D&D I personally like the aesthetics of hand drawn art over computer art. Not to take anything away from Tyler Jacobson, I think that is a wonderful piece. But I think the old style of art like Caldwell or Elmore, with all the little imperfections that come through no having photoshop, give the game books a more old vibe since the fantasy tends to replicate an older technology level.
Looking at Tyler's painting I personally would see that as a sci-fi piece and feels it would be a great style for something along that genre. Even something like Dragonstar w/that art would be wonderful.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Well to be honest there are different types of digital artwork and some may require less skill. However, I was referring to digital painting and illustration which requires a similar level of skill.

Digital photo manipulation requires some different skills, but I don't know that I can qualify it as the same amount of skill as traditional or digital painting / illustration
True, I was thinking specifically of people who use digital products for painting, sketching, and the like. Photo manipulation is a different area with different skills which I wouldn't think would require as much skill as a painter or illustrator, they're totally different mediums.

However, I was referring to digital painting and illustration which requires a similar level of skill.
The thing that folks that write-off digital media seem to not understand is that you cannot make these images without that same skill set as a traditional painter. All of the color decisions, composition, etc, is 100% the artist. The big upside of digital is that it's faster and cleaner but guys like Jacobson can still do oils:
1612832230747.png

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
When looking at art for D&D I personally like the aesthetics of hand drawn art over computer art. Not to take anything away from Tyler Jacobson, I think that is a wonderful piece. But I think the old style of art like Caldwell or Elmore, with all the little imperfections that come through no having photoshop, give the game books a more old vibe since the fantasy tends to replicate an older technology level.
Looking at Tyler's painting I personally would see that as a sci-fi piece and feels it would be a great style for something along that genre. Even something like Dragonstar w/that art would be wonderful.

It's an interesting point. CGI works thematically with sci-fi, but with fantasy archaism has its own value. A lot of indie products will use old woodcuts and the like, though some of that may be copyright issues...

Remove ads

Remove ads