D&D 4E The yet still complete list of official 4E D&D products: now with new format!

MrMyth

First Post
Interesting thing about that Dungeon of Dread - it has a DM.

The Castle Ravenloft (and similar games) are designed for fully cooperative play, with players running both their characters and automating the monsters and the dungeon.

Dungeon of Dread describes having a DM who runs the villains and monsters.

I'm thinking it is intended as a bit more of a bridge between the board games and full-fledged D&D. Akin to a starter set, of sorts.

Anyway, its far enough out it is hard to say anything for sure. But the board games thus far have been awesome, so I suppose we will have to wait and see...

fanboy2000

Adventurer
And being an avid board gamer, you know that, say, Puerto Rico, has two expansions?
Settler's of Catan has more than two expansions:

1. 5-6 player expansion for the basic game.
2. Seafarers of Catan.
3. 5-6 player expansion for Seafarers of Catan (requires the 5-6 player expansion for basic game.)
4. Cities and Knights of Catan.
5. 5-6 player expansion for Cities and Knights of Catan (requires the 5-6 player expansion for basic game.)

It's my understanding that the two expansions are incompatible. (I.e., you can't play Cities and Knights with Seafarers) But to play Seafarers of Catan with 4 other people you need to buy 4 things: the basic game, the Seafarers expansion, and both 5-6 player expansions. Ditto with Cities and Knights.

Of course, that's not counting all the Catan branded games like the card game that's basically a two person version of the board game. There is also a travel game. And the odd variant like Starfarers of Catan.

Carcassonne also has a large number of expansions and variants including an "hunters and gathers" game, which has similar mechanics. The tower game, to my knowledge, does not.

The Zombie board game (which his title you place figures on similer to the Adventure System games we're talking about) has, I believe, at least 5 expansions. Plus additional packs of zombies and at least one "half" expansion.

RPGs, and especially D&D, are totally different animals.
Are you sure? Because I'm counting about $80 + tax just play a one hour game with 4 friends. That sounds a lot like the amount of money I might spend just the basic rules to play a one-off game of Hero System 6.

You can spend ungodly numbers of hours playing just one "game".
I'm sure you can think of a few board games like that.

Avid board gamers, at least back in my day, use to play different board games. Conviently, there are hundreds to choose from, many available at shops that use to sell RPGs.
Some people like a board game enough to play it multiple times with different variants. My point is, and continues to be, that the number of board games they're putting out isn't saturation. It's fairly typical of successful brands.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Dungeon of Dread describes having a DM who runs the villains and monsters.
Huh, really? Ithought it was simply the follow-up to the Drizz't board game.

So, apparently it will not use the 'D&D adventure game system' (or whatever it's called).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
On the # of expansions: Your examples are kinda making my point. Settlers is the most popular "euro" board game of all time, and I was playing it before some ENWorld posters were born! It has about a dozen expansions, and averages out to less then 1 a year (all catan products comes out to about 1-2 a year). Arkam Horror is the closer analogy, as it is a crossover between a traditional board game and an RPG, and it does have a dozen expansions, after being released in 2005, and is also very popular. But that is still about 2 a year. Not 4!

@Mr Myth: Interesting, if that is true, and so soon after the red box.

New sets of fortune cards? I thought everyone agreed that they had failed miserably. Where did you find mentions of these sets, Fury of the Feywild and Glory of Neverwinter?

MrMyth

First Post
Huh, really? Ithought it was simply the follow-up to the Drizz't board game.

So, apparently it will not use the 'D&D adventure game system' (or whatever it's called).

I mean, I'm just going based on the blurb on the amazon entry, so who knows how accurate that is. And it otherwise sounds quite similar to the 'adventure game system' - so could just be an off-shoot, and more of a hybrid between pure board game and standard D&D, or it could be trying something new.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Each box contains five non-random, pre-painted, durable plastic miniatures for use in the Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game: a black dragon, a blue dragon, a green
dragon, a red dragon, and a white dragon. The set also contains full-color Dungeon
Delve stat cards that contain game stats for each of these terrifying creatures.

Oct 18 release date. If I read the price correctly (maybe I didn't) $45. Which seems high, but these could be super awesome.

Remove ads