D&D General The Young Adventurers Guides Kick In The Door To Dungeons & Dragons For Kids (And Adults)

One of the strengths of Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition is how accessible it is to new players. The game mechanics have been simplified. There are a pair of boxed sets in the Starter Set and Essentials Kit that introduce the game in a wonderful way. Shows like Critical Role and The Adventure Zone have demystified the process of how to play and finding a group to play with. The Young...

One of the strengths of Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition is how accessible it is to new players. The game mechanics have been simplified. There are a pair of boxed sets in the Starter Set and Essentials Kit that introduce the game in a wonderful way. Shows like Critical Role and The Adventure Zone have demystified the process of how to play and finding a group to play with.

The Young Adventurers’ Guides, from Jim Zub, Stacey King and Andrew Wheeler, aim at a target that’s long been fertile ground for D&D: young people who like fantasy. These gorgeous illustrated guides explain basic concepts from the game like classes, races, spells and monsters in a way to get new players excited about digging into the game.

1603498864932.png

Warriors and Weapons digs into the martial side of things for potential players. It offers two page summaries of the non-magic user classes in 5e along with an example of someone from that class pulled from D&D lore. Each two page class summary includes a short write up on what the class does and how the class best handles combat. There are also details on the most common races in D&D, including some deeper cuts from non-PHB sourcebooks like the tabaxi and tortle.

The fantastic artwork also visualizes the many bits of weapons and gear that heroes get when they start out. This struck a chord with me as someone who struggled to visualize what a glaive guisarme was before the invention of the internet when I started playing D&D. One of the most useful pictures is this book of the various adventurer’s packs that players can choose during the creation process. It’s easier to see the difference between a burglar’s pack and an explorer’s pack than read off the list of stuff inside each one.

1603498947525.png

Wizards and Spells takes a similar path with the magical side of player equipment. It talks about the spellcasting classes and picks a handful of spells from each level to illustrate and discuss. There are spreads of magical items that get illustrated including some of the more famous ones like the Sunsword or the Wand of Wonder.

One of the most useful things for new players in these two books is a pair of two page spreads that function as an analogue version of those What class are you? websites. Players who don’t know their warlock from their barbarian can sometimes be a little overwhelmed with choices during character creation. These simple flowcharts allow the Dungeon Master to ask two or three questions and get a choice that should fit a new player.

1603499010440.png

Monsters & Creatures highlights some of the villains and beasts adventurers will battle during a game of Dungeons & Dragons. This first book separates the creatures by where they might be found. Each loose chapter also includes an encounter to inspire budding Dungeon Masters on how they might use a monster or prepare a player to think about how to defeat a monster outside of just fighting. Each monster type also features a legendary villain, so you better believe that Count Strahd Von Zarovich shows up in the vampire section.

1603499074604.png

The latest book, Beasts & Behemoths, follows the same format but sorts the creatures by size rather than likely location. Each creature also gets a danger rating which feels like a small introduction to the concept of the Challenge Rating in 5e. The back of each book also encourages readers to write stories featuring the monsters within. There are some suggestions to tell stories with friends, but I know a lot of Dungeon Masters start out writing stories first and then bringing them to life when they can put together a group.

1603499139131.png

Dungeons & Tombs also has monsters inside but shifts its focus to interesting locations for adventurers to go. It highlights classic spots like the Temple of Elemental Evil and Ravenloft, but there’s a robust section at the end for building original dungeons as well. This book is the one that feels the most focused on getting the reader to make the hop to being a Dungeon Master. The rest make this pitch in more subtle ways by introducing elements of lore from D&D’s rich collection of worlds. In this book, the authors seem to be saying “Why not make your own? You’ve already got the tools.”

This leads us to the big secret of these guides; they are also pretty useful for adults. Dungeon Masters have struggled for decades to get players to do the reading and these exist as a great way to get the Cliff Notes version on the monsters and lore of places like Ravenloft and the Forgotten Realms. The monster books contain the information a character might know in the world without needing to make a skill check or possibly even reading the info to a player if they do succeed on the check. The entries also help players figure out how tough a creature will be without giving a glimpse at their Monster Manual stats. I’ve used these books with players completely new to D&D and fantasy games and they go over much more easily than either getting them a Player’s Handbook and hoping they read it or trying to explain stuff on the fly without the rest of the players chiming in.

The series is available in hardcover individually at Amazon and your friendly local bookstore. The first four are also available in a handsome softcover set perfect for a holiday gift.

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
According to the information in the books they are designed for 3rd graders and up (ages 8+)

I've bought them all for my 6yo (who in fairness turns 7 next month). Like others, we ended up using them in-game; the kid decided their barbarian character had a big book of monsters and used it when strategizing.

Yesterday in the car they read most of the Lord Soth entry from the new one to me (at my request). I was a little worried about that (Soth's story touches on a few things I'd rather not have my child thinking about quite yet) but the text stuck to very broad strokes and worked really well.

And of course since both Soth and the Tarrasque are in the book, I just had to mention the ridiculous part in module DL16 where, while exploring Lord Soth's castle, the party finds the Tarrasque just hanging out in a closet (I swear I'm not making this up)!

Good times.

I love D&D. And I love 5e, it s a lot more accessible than several older editions... buuuut it is NOT the easiest game to start with!

There are several gaming systems out there that are much easier than D&D. Try Troika! for example. If you want to stick to D&D, how about a modern version of B/x?

I've always been a proponent of Fate as the go-to 'My First RPG', especially Fate Accelerated.

1) It's cheap: ($5.00 USD for the physical book, PWYW for the PDF, $15 USD for the official dice set or $10 for a set of Bicycle D6s or FREE for Google's built-in digital roller, $12 for the official Fate Point tokens or $7.00 for a set of Bicycle Poker Chips or $1.50 in nickles. Min Buy-In: FREE. NOTE: using standard D6s will require some extra calculations, but nothing major.)

2) It's simple: You have six Aprochaes: Careful, Clever, Flashy, Forceful, Quick, Sneaky. You pick which one fits you and the situation best and roll 4d6. You can gain bonuses from that Approach's rating [+0 to +3] or any Stunts [special limited-use, specific-situation, abilities] you may have. That's conflict resolution, roughly. The book's also under fifty pages.

3) It's setting-agnostic and written with the kids in mind. There ARE official settings (many PWYW or under $15) but running homebrew is dirt simple. I mean, this is the cover: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/images/2152/114902.jpg They're aiming at the neophiles.

Seriously, if you haven't given it a look, I really recommend it. Fate Accelerated Edition • A Fate Core Build - Evil Hat Productions, LLC | Fate Core | DriveThruRPG.com

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
If you want to stick to D&D, how about a modern version of B/x?
Heartily seconded. Specifically, the scope of B/X—its subset of monsters and treasures and spells and races/classes—but using the unified d20-vs.-DC mechanic of 3e-5e. Have a game a 12-year-old kid (and a great unsung thing about B/X and BEMCI is that they are written for the junior high set, which also means adults can get complex game mechanics without having to stumble over clumsy terms) can get the box under the tree on Christmas morning, then run a game with her kid brother and her cousins Mark and Susie when they come over for dinner that night and stay out of their parents' way.

Emirikol Prime

Explorer
I own the Rules Cyclopedia from back in the day, but I preffer the simpler B/X. The addtional rules, like weapon mastery, and classes in the Rules Cyclopedia were never my cup of tea.
then houserule them. Rules Cyclopedia is B/X and WOTC surely aren’t going to make a new product with just the two.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There is an OSR remix of pretty much every variant of classic D&D rules systems, many with a little (or a lot) of modern innovations.

Even if you love your to-hit matrices, etc., and other old school eccentricities, there's no reason other than pure nostalgia to play with the old books. I learned to play with 1E and using the OSRIC rulebook is massively simpler and easier than flipping around the haphazardly organized TSR books, for instance. I would never play with the original TSR books again, although they have tremendous inspirational value, obviously. I would find the cleaned-up version of my preferred ruleset and go with that, instead.

There are a lot of B/X rulesets available nowadays, with cleaned-up presentation, unclear or contradictory rules straightened out, etc. Old School Essentials, mentioned up-thread, is one of the most popular and well-liked of these. They just had a Kickstarter to (optionally) add AD&D classes and races to the B/X chassis.

Jeff Carpenter

Adventurer
then houserule them. Rules Cyclopedia is B/X and WOTC surely aren’t going to make a new product with just the two.
I know you are probably right, but I still am going to hold out hope. B/X is my first love and I will always carry a torch for it.

The combined version of B/X is like meeting that first love again and finding them better looking and more organized.

I know you are probably right, but I still am going to hold out hope. B/X is my first love and I will always carry a torch for it.

The combined version of B/X is like meeting that first love again and finding them better looking and more organized.
Old School Essentials is a great implementation of the combined B/X. It IS B/X. Probably the most faithful retro-clone in existence.

Classic Fantasy is a complete game that gives you the full B/X experience in a modern/streamlined/cleaned up rule set.

With the Advanced Fantasy Kickstarter you have an expanded game that gives you all the AD&D classes/monsters/treasures rescaled to B/X compatibility. It takes a lot of the extra options from RC and AD&D (weapon mastery, spell books, combat options) and reworks them to match the B/X aesthetic.

It’s not just the best D&D to introduce new players, it’s possibly the best D&D period. It definitely beats 5E for me and will be my go to game going forward.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've always been a proponent of Fate as the go-to 'My First RPG', especially Fate Accelerated.
It depends on the age of the player, IMO.

One of my regular players during online games during the pandemic has been my middle school son. We've got a classmate joining us soon, who heard through the grapevine that we've been playing in games that include another classmate. This poor kid apparently owns a ton of D&D stuff and has never had people to play with, and jumped out of his chair when he heard it was finally happening in his (virtual) vicinity.

In another of my games, my nieces had played D&D once before, in a sort of free-form D&D-ish experience by a first-time DM at a slumber party. When their dad mentioned I was running games, they reached out as well.

It's probable that there's a comparable kid out there, reading Fate Accelerated alone in his room, but for a lot of first-time gamers, D&D is going to be the brand they know and are interested in checking out. Some flavor of D&D is probably the right way to go for them.

(That said, I'm also going to be running Monster of the Week for some first-time gamer adults this fall. They are interested in RPGs, but at least one of them hates traditional fantasy, but everyone in the group likes the monster-hunting TV genre, and Monster of the Week is a pretty light game comparatively, so here we are.)

Remove ads

Remove ads