There’s a TOMB RAIDER RPG Coming!

An official Tomb Raider RPG will be released in time for the holidays this year as part of the 25th Anniversary of the property. https://tombraider25.square-enix-games.com/en-us/tr2013/blog/tomb-raider-25th-anniversary-celebration/ Tabletop RPG Reveal: Lara Croft’s Tomb Raiders We’re super excited to reveal Lara Croft’s Tomb Raiders, a tabletop adventure that lets you team up with Lara...

An official Tomb Raider RPG will be released in time for the holidays this year as part of the 25th Anniversary of the property.

33A30BC9-BD6F-4A70-8396-62C4F2843051.jpeg

Tabletop RPG Reveal: Lara Croft’s Tomb Raiders

We’re super excited to reveal Lara Croft’s Tomb Raiders, a tabletop adventure that lets you team up with Lara.

Lara Croft’s Tomb Raiders is a passion project of Senior Technical Designer Matthew Gaston, who has been developing it since 2007 and playtesting internally since 2009.

In Lara Croft’s Tomb Raiders, players will assume the roles of fictional characters in the mysterious world of Tomb Raider. These characters work for Lara Croft, who has more leads to follow than she has time to follow them.

Players will explore ancient sites to discover information and artifacts – guided by the campaign’s Raid Master. Campaigns will focus on knowledge, language, and investigative skills in addition to action-oriented skills to keep it true to the franchise roots.

Pulling from our talented community, we have brought on professional concept artist Kameliya Minkova and concept/comic artist Johann BLAIS to tackle interior art for the RPG. A full reveal of the cover art by Brenoch Adams will be revealed later, but you can find a sneak-preview of the interior below to hold you over.

I wonder if this can be a test to know the feedback and the reaction of the fandom, and then to publish more TTRPGs based in famous franchises. Why? AAA videogames need a lot of money and time, and the RPG can help to promote the brand.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Developed since 2007. Tested since 2009. So many things have happened since then in the RPG world. Reading the monster entries seems like a crunchy system. It better be very good without any obvious loop holes and design mistakes. Most games barely get internal testing with friends of the designer.

Last edited:

Yes, it's Brawn. I really like the amount of crunch that this system seems to have.

The idea of having the players play the part of a character who works for Lara Croft is a bit odd though. I suppose Lara is an npc in her own rpg then? Why not make the pc's substitute Lara's? I get that they want Lara to exist within her own rpg, but isn't it more fun to be Lara, rather than to be in her shadow?

Last edited:

Yes, it's Brawn. I really like the amount of crunch that this system seems to have.

The idea of having the players play the part of a character who works for Lara Croft is a bit odd though. I suppose Lara is an npc in her own rpg then? Why not make the pc's substitute Lara's? I get that they want Lara to exist within her own rpg, but isn't it more fun to be Lara, rather than to be in her shadow?
There can be only one :D This saves the trouble of who gets to be the central character and avoids clashes with "cannon" (is there cannon in TR?).

Tantavalist

Explorer
I'm finding it hard to be excited about this. It strikes me as a license being released just for the sake of releasing a license, because Tomb Raider will sell. What exactly will it bring that another RPG couldn't?

There are already quite a few systems around that could be used to create a Tomb Raider-style adventure. Does Lara Croft's universe really have that much lore to it? I haven't played the games much but I got the impression that they were basically "Indiana Jones in modern day with female protagonist". That's a very cool elevator pitch, but just how hard could it be for any GM to just run a Tomb Raider plot using an existing system?

On top of this is the core concept- that Lara Croft will exist as an NPC and the players are assumed to be her gofers. Really? We're going to be paying for the right to say that a fictional character is officially in the game we're running? That and Lara's picture on the front cover when you see it on a gaming store shelf of course, which is presumably what this is hoping to get impulse buys through. But then, is that actually a thing that's happening as often these days?

Now, I don't know anything about the system it'll be using. It could turn out to be amazing. I'll just say that it will have to be, because as I see things that's literally the only reason any gamer could have for buying this.

Tomb Raider is a great concept, but that's all it is- a concept that's easily summed up. It's fine if someone is excited about the news, but for me the burden of making me care about this is very much on the people behind the game and they've got an uphill struggle on their hands.

Remove ads

Remove ads