D&D 5E There Will Be No More Hydro74 Alternate D&D Covers

Hydro74 has confirmed that Vecna: Eve of Ruin was their final alternate cover for D&D.

For the past 10 years, there have been alternative covers for the Dungeons & Dragons hardcovers available at local game stores. These covers were usually designed by artist Joshua M. Smith, aka Hydro74.

Hydro74 has confirmed that Vecna: Eve of Ruin was their final alternate cover for D&D.

Just got my copy of Vecna, Eve of Ruin from D&D in. The Gold & Silver really are fantastic. Sadly [Wizards of the Coast] said this was my last book since they are changing direction, which is disappointing but freelance life! Was a fun ride!

GRaxoWJWEAAx-qh.jpeg

Photo by Hydro74
Here's a look at just some of Hydo74's alternate covers over the years.

1.jpeg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.webp
6.jpg

7.jpeg
8.jpg

dave2008

Legend
He had the best covers, Wizard's is making a terrible error. If the new core books had the his alt covers they'd look way better then the alt covers it comes with now.
That is just your opinion of course. I didn't but any of their alt covers (I did by the Eberron one - not by Hydro) and I am likely to purchase all of the Core 24 alt-covers. Though, to be honest, I like both the standard and alt covers of the 2024 books; but I preferred the standard covers to Hydro's pretty much entirely.

Again, I want to stress this has nothing to do with Hydro's talent, it is just not the style I want for my RPG book cover.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
All my 5e books that could have alt covers do, except for ones bought in the secondary market (Did Tomb of Annihilation even have an alt cover?)

I appreciate Hydro74's artistry. Wouldn't want it on my wall; but love it on my bookshelf

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
All my 5e books that could have alt covers do, except for ones bought in the secondary market (Did Tomb of Annihilation even have an alt cover?)

I appreciate Hydro74's artistry. Wouldn't want it on my wall; but love it on my bookshelf
They were only doing one book a hear with an Alt Cocer until 2019, Ghosts of Salt.arsh was when they went into alt cover overdrive, and I believe every product since Radiant Citadel has had one.

ngenius

Adventurer
To be clear, I think Hydro47's work was amazing. It was just not the feel I was going for in a D&D book cover.

I think the only alt cover I got (when I still purchased physical books) was Eberron which was done by someone else.
Vance Kelly did the Eberron aternate as well as the Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

Attachments

• art-by-vance-kelly.webp
    art-by-vance-kelly.webp
    43 KB · Views: 30

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
For the past 10 years, there have been alternative covers for the Dungeons & Dragons hardcovers available at local game stores. These covers were usually designed by artist Joshua M. Smith, aka Hydro74.

Just got my copy of Vecna, Eve of Ruin from D&D in. The Gold & Silver really are fantastic. Sadly [Wizards of the Coast] said this was my last book since they are changing direction, which is disappointing but freelance life! Was a fun ride!

View attachment 370353
Photo by Hydro74
Here's a look at just some of Hydo74's alternate covers over the years.

Volo's Guide to Monsters with Hydro75's alt cover is one of my most treasured TTRPG books.

Love his art, but 10 years is a good run and there are many other artists who deserve a shot.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads