D&D (2024) They need to bring back Gather Information in One DnD.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Thanks, but those aren't skill checks. They're permission to add one's proficiency bonus to an ability check. Sort of like when one uses the (unlisted) Attack skill to add proficiency to a strength or dexterity check.

I'd bet there's a magic item shop in that game. Why not an "information shop" too? Anyway, the term she was looking for is "innkeeper" or perhaps "bard."

I'm pretty sure imagining stuff in one's head is the point of the game.
That's the problem, the player can't be given that by anyone but the gm at the time of roll/check. They are something different than "permission" fo to do something entirely under the GM's responsibility. They are there creating friction should the gm actually do the thing that the gm alone is given responsibility for deciding..

if wotc actually wanted to invest effort in supporting the gm before the "what is convenient for players" was finalized that section of the sheet would look more like the weapon armor and tool proficiencies section so it allows the gm to expand on it as needed and the expected interaction players asking if x applies to y attribute check is encouraged rather than resisted..

Yaarel

He Mage
Gather Information is a 5e Charisma (Persuasion) check.

If one wants to get fancy, it can be a Charisma (History) check, such as for info about a local organization or subculture.

Other skills are possible for more specialized information.

Wisdom (Insight) checks to discern information from a particular person is also posible. (Tho unofficially I use Charisma for every social skill including empathy and cold reading.)

The problem is without it being a clear kinda player facing procedure, or skill or something.
This is one of the major issues with 5E - lack of player-facing procedures.

You'll notice most people were are proposing workarounds or solutions that are house rules and thus not player-facing either.

1D&D/6E improved this a bit by moving some rules from the DMG into what we can safely presume will be a player-facing position, but we still need something like this, yeah.

Pedantic

Legend
This is one of the major issues with 5E - lack of player-facing procedures.

You'll notice most people were are proposing workarounds or solutions that are house rules and thus not player-facing either.

1D&D/6E improved this a bit by moving some rules from the DMG into what we can safely presume will be a player-facing position, but we still need something like this, yeah.
I should have been braced by the consecutive hits of skill challenges and then the OSR, but it still surprises me how eager so many people are to play without a complete skill system.

I should have been braced by the consecutive hits of skill challenges and then the OSR, but it still surprises me how eager so many people are to play without a complete skill system.
Ironically OSR games at this point often have more functional skills systems than 5E itself does (c.f. Worlds Without Number).

IMO Downtime needs to be renamed into something else, like "Activities," and put right in front of every palyer's face. I should be able to say "I want some time to research" or "I want to practice a new skill" or "Give me some time to sharpen our blades" etc and it should be encouraged that they do so, with plenty of benefits and a table of complications that arises. You make a skill check to do the activity without complications, and the lower you roll, the more complications arise. This simple set up gives the player's agency and guidance for said agency, and gives the DM tools to adjust their story when players choose to turn to an activity.

Ashrym

Legend
Not being the skill system you want us not the same thing as an incomplete skill system. The system is based on ability checks where players are also given a list of some skills the designers felt appropriate to possibly add a bonus.

A belief that more choices should exist to apply that bonus is a difference of opinion. It's not an incomplete system.

Pedantic

Legend
Not being the skill system you want us not the same thing as an incomplete skill system. The system is based on ability checks where players are also given a list of some skills the designers felt appropriate to possibly add a bonus.

A belief that more choices should exist to apply that bonus is a difference of opinion. It's not an incomplete system.
No, that's not my complaint. I think the OP has a reasonable point, and I could see a case for an expanded list, but I'm taking about skill DCs.

Players aren't given any real information about their skills do. That's no way to translate a +7 Survival bonus into a list of abilities. We have the barest of guidance on seeing DCs for DMs, but there's no real difference between a DC 12 and DC 14 check, despite the significant range that is takes up out of the RNG.

By a "complete skill system" I mean one that can be leveraged by players to achieve specific results.

Remove ads