D&D 5E Thieves World Campaign Setting

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
What this thing?
Thieves%27_World%2C_boxed_set.jpg

I loved that thing, man! It was great!

whisper, whisper

Wait, they're doing one for D&D 5E? WHY? The box set booklets had stats for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Adventures in Fantasy, Chivalry & Sorcery, SPI's DragonQuest, Basic Dungeons & Dragons, The Fantasy Trip, RuneQuest 2E, Classic Traveller, and Tunnels & Trolls. What's one more?

I think the need for a 5e adaptation has less to do with translating stat blocks and more to do with providing alternative options for lower magic 5e.

As would be the issue with turning most literary fantasy settings into 5e settings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I remember reading the short story anthology from the library in the 90's! I can't see any evidence that anything has been done with the Setting in any medium since the Aughts? Would make a cool Kickstarter, I imagine.

I remember reading the short story anthology from the library in the 90's! I can't see any evidence that anything has been done with the Setting in any medium since the Aughts? Would make a cool Kickstarter, I imagine.
It is exactly the sort of thing that Kickstarter and the like make possible. Historically Thieve's World RPG materials were only created as a tie-in when the series was actively publishing in the 80s and briefly again in the early to mid aughts. Without crowdfunding options I'd say the chances of a 5e Thieve's World setting would be 100% if a new anthology book (or somehow a movie or something) in the series comes out during the life of 5e and 0% if one does not. With crowdfunding the revival of defunct IPs is, by comparison, quite a bit more democratic.

Personally I'm only a casual fan of this IP, and I think 5e is not actually a very good fit for most literary fantasy settings, but there is a certain draw in as much as of all literary fantasy settings this is the one whose world-building process was most like the creation of an RPG campaign setting. It was a setting explicitly created not to tell any particular story, but to tell whatever stories authors imagined within a fairly broad fantasy genre.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases