Thieves World

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Crothian said:
There are people who live and prosper in Sanctuary making an honest living.

exactly one.

Cappen Varra - Itinerant minstel. Rumored to be the only honest man in town

:D you'll come to Sanctuary for the hospitality and stay for the weather:D

this message has been brought to you by The Citizens for a Brighter Tomorrow and ....where the hell is my money pouch?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I think the books are highly exagorating in this. I'm not saying the place is loaded with LG character, but most people seem to look out for themselves.

And even with many dishonest people, just watching what you do and protecting your purse will prevent much of the crime that can happen to you. THere are a few don't in Sanctuary. Learn them and follow them.

Felon

First Post
Both good and bad memories here. Thieves World was a great idea for a series, having several different writers create their own characters, and having their individual escapades take place in the same city. The interplay between Jubal and Zalbar was great stuff.

Then Tempus showed up, and became all the rage. Super-badass, invincible, immortal avatar for every war-god in the universe, former member of the Red Band, former member of every sorcerer cabal in the world, thug, bully, and rapist.

The whole ensemble cast idea kind of loses steam when one character dominated the series, and nobody seemed to mind but me. He just seemed a lame rip-off of Karl Wagner's Kane, just more boorish.

So Cro, are you gonna have a prestige class for the sect of the blue star?

Crothian

First Post
Felon said:
seemed a lame rip-off of Karl Wagner's Kane, just more boorish.

I'm not familair with that Kane. However, Tempest did sort of become a larger charater then many of the others. There's at least three book all about him that exist out side the series (I have three, there may be more).

A prestige class for the Order of the Blue Star will be very difficult. They don't give a heck of a lot if information on these guys. They train to fight Chaos during the end of the world. Each has a secret and bound by a vow. There is probaly more in Lythande's story, and I think there is at least a book or two totally devoted to Lythande.

Crothian said:

I'm not familair with that Kane. However, Tempest did sort of become a larger charater then many of the others. There's at least three book all about him that exist out side the series (I have three, there may be more).

Crothian i cannot reccomend Kane enough. It is dark fantasy, which in general i dont like, but Kane is by far and away the most interesting character i've read in fantasy literature. The best part is that there is none of the angst typical of dark fantasy (ie.. self loathing/self-love), and wagner can write a tight and active story.

pick up on of his books if you can.. they're all out of print but a new printing of the three novels (wagner is dead.. no more coming :() is available via nightshade books.

if not you can often find them on ebay. its worth a look into.

joe b.

Crothian

First Post
Cool, I'll add it to my list of books to look into. Thanks.

I should be typing up each of the TW races and posting them in the plots and places thread tonight.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Felon said:
i think they should have a spellpool-like ability, similar to the Guildmages of Waterdeep (MoF)

Kemren, the Purple Mage's abilities also sound like a techno-mancer type wizard PrC, being dependant on his 'mechanical-magical devices'.

after reading over the TW/AD&D conversions, it seems to me that Eschew Materials is a common feat among wizards in Thieves World

the S'Danzo (and half-S'Danzo) have innate psionic abilities, easy to do for a 0-level 1e character, not so easy in 3e (unless an adept-type psionic using NPC class was developed, they'd all have to have PC classes (Psions and/or Psychic Warriors))

Crothian

First Post
Mr Fidgit said:

i think they should have a spellpool-like ability, similar to the Guildmages of Waterdeep (MoF)

Kemren, the Purple Mage's abilities also sound like a techno-mancer type wizard PrC, being dependant on his 'mechanical-magical devices'.

after reading over the TW/AD&D conversions, it seems to me that Eschew Materials is a common feat among wizards in Thieves World

the S'Danzo (and half-S'Danzo) have innate psionic abilities, easy to do for a 0-level 1e character, not so easy in 3e (unless an adept-type psionic using NPC class was developed, they'd all have to have PC classes (Psions and/or Psychic Warriors))

Good ideas on the Purple Mage guy, he's a nasty customer and so is his island.

While the S'Danzo have powers that are similiar to some psychic abilities, the psion and psychic warrior can give such a braod range of abilities it just doesn't fit. I'm going to borrow some divination spells from Slaine since they have some good divination stuff.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
i've just noticed that Enas Yorl is supposed to have a bunch of familiars, some, possibly the improved kind. is there a feat that would give multiple familiars somewhere, or should it be written up that he just has a lot of 'pets'?

Remove ads