Level Up (A5E) Things in Level Up's combat system

Caliburn101

Explorer
At present it’s a passive score being the better of a passive Str (Athletics) or Dec (Acrobatics) check, used as the target number for disarms, shoves, knockdowns, that sort of thing. It’s only in draft form right now though so don’t hold me to it. Also those special melee attacks do a little bit of damage too (1 + Str mod).
I hope once someone is disarmed any attempt to retreive the weapon within reach of an enemy combatant attracts an attack of opportunity with a bonus (maybe advantage), otherwise disarm will be as useless as it is now in 5E.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'd love to hear more about the combat defense score. It is a passive score, or something you roll for? Does the player choose how to defend? (like in Conan, where you choose between dodging or parrying an attack).
So as a quick update, it's looking like the final version of this will actually be a save DC for combat maneuvers, which plays the same role that the spell save DC does.

Caliburn101

Explorer
So as a quick update, it's looking like the final version of this will actually be a save DC for combat maneuvers, which plays the same role that the spell save DC does.
In which case, that taps into the profficiency bonus plus the Dex bonus as the save roll bonus I am guessing - which would closely track defensive bonuses to AC. That would certainly work well to reflect skill and ability to defend against special attacks. Some would no doubt work well with Strength bonus (such as shoves and knockdowns). Will this therefore be a saving throw with variable stat bonus, or will it be fixed to one stat?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In which case, that taps into the profficiency bonus plus the Dex bonus as the save roll bonus I am guessing - which would closely track defensive bonuses to AC. That would certainly work well to reflect skill and ability to defend against special attacks. Some would no doubt work well with Strength bonus (such as shoves and knockdowns). Will this therefore be a saving throw with variable stat bonus, or will it be fixed to one stat?
The individual maneuver would tell you which save to make, just like individual spells do.

Remove ads