Things you did NOT like about Fellowship of the Ring.

Igneous

First Post
It's certainly been interesting to see all the attacks on criticisms of this film, especially given the title of the thread. :) I'm glad there's now a separate thread for the things people liked..

I remember going to see the original 'Star Wars' at the cinema in 1977. At the time I thought it was the greatest movie ever made - these days the best word that comes to mind is 'quaint'. I wonder how many people who raved about 'The Phantom Menace' last year will still feel the same way 25 years from now?

I felt Jackson's treatment of 'Lord of the Rings' certainly could have been done better (not by me though. :)) but it could also have been a heck of a lot worse. Despite my own opinion of it, the movie has been enormously popular with the 'non-Tolkien' educated (as well as most Tolkien fans) public - and this is the most important factor. Much like 'Star Wars' did with science fiction in 1977, Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' has made cinematic fantasy respectable to the general public. It's predecessors have all tried and failed to do this ('Conan', the 'D&D movie', innumerable others..) and we can now look forward to even better movies in the future now there's a much larger demand for it.

This definitely won't be the last remake of 'Lord of the Rings'. By the time the next one rolls around, computer animation may have advanced to the point where every non-humanoid role will be a lot more convincing than anything we can produce today. Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within, is an example of just how much can be achieved in this area, even now. I'll check back again in 25 years to see what you all think. :p

Sammael99

First Post
hellbender said:

As a fan of both the books and the movie (my only gripe is the future implications of the hordes of spider climbing orcs in the movie, I can live with the other inconsistencies), it seems ridiculous that people come to a thread like this and feel they have the right to hassle people and that the movie is above reproach. If you don't like the idea of people saying what they don't like about the movie, don't read the thread, it is that simple.

It's called free speech, grow up, get a grip and let people exercise it. If you dislike the thread, don't read it.

hellbender

Hum...

It's called learning how to read : read what I said you'll actually find out that we agree...

Fenros

First Post
Nameless wrote:
Someone said this, but I also thought the "Lord of the Rings" logo at the beginning was cheesy and crappy. The rest of the movie was polished, but that looked like a sloppy aftethought.

Heh heh, that was me on the first page of this thread. So far I think only you and I felt this way about the logo. But I realize its such a tiny tiny gripe. But man, its at the beginning of the movie it should be pretty kickin' right? Ah well, I didn't think it hurt the film.

Lorthaire wrote:
The wizards duel between Sarumon and Gandalf. It just seemed gratutious and tacked on to me. I am sure that there was a better way to show that Gandalf was confined against his will than this silly teleknetic duel.

Really? I've heard of different interpretations of various parts of this film in so many variety of ways. But I think this is the first time I heard of anyone thinking this. Now, I've heard many who thought that they would have rather seen more visual fireworks in that scene, but none who thought it was gratuitous or tacked on.

I'm trying to imagine the scene now with less 'dueling' between Gandalf and Saruman. Hmmmm.

If we were to theoritically change it to have less dueling, we might satisfy those with similar views as yours, but upset another group of individuals. I don't see a way to create a 'win' scenario for everyone.

But that's art for you I guess, its not like Math. Some people like it, some don't.

BronzeDragon wrote:
To those that will want to say "accept it as it is, enjoy the work that was done!", I say that I did enjoy what I saw. It's just that the movie was marketed as the ultimate adaptation of Tolkien's work.

May not be the ultimate adaptation of Tolkien's work, but so far (to me at least) its been the best.

hellbender

First Post
Sammael99 said:

Hum...

It's called learning how to read : read what I said you'll actually find out that we agree...

Okay........actually, Sammael, I was heartily agreeing with you when I made my post, you aren't who I was referring to.

And as for those complaining about Elrond, especially with a 5 o'clock shadow. Elrond is also known as Elrond Half-Elven, be cause he is, well, half Elf and Half Human.

hellbender

Sammael99

First Post
hellbender said:

Okay........actually, Sammael, I was heartily agreeing with you when I made my post, you aren't who I was referring to.

hellbender

Hellbender,

My mistake. Sleep deprivation has robbed me of some of my senses these last few days.

Glad I'm not the only one with that view !

(You may want to check out the use of the generic "you" which may have caused my misunderstanding ;))

hellbender

First Post
Sammael99 said:

Hellbender,

My mistake. Sleep deprivation has robbed me of some of my senses these last few days.

Glad I'm not the only one with that view !

(You may want to check out the use of the generic "you" which may have caused my misunderstanding ;))

You have my humblest apologies on that, Sammael. I am sorry that you took me wrong and I can see why in re-reading my post. I was being generic to not point a finger that those I was in opposition to, when I should have just leapt in and pointed.

Once again, I am sorry for the mistake,
hellbender

sineater

First Post
First off it is a movie and that is all it is. I thought it was excellent and believe it couldn't have been done much better by anyone.

Second to beleive people have nothing better to do then sit around and nit pick at movies. I mean come on get out and do something else. I mean do you do this to every movie you see. If I did I wouldn't go see movies. If I see something I don't like I don't sit dwell on it.

In others words who cares about the other little things. Just go and enjoy the movie.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rhialto

First Post
What didn't I like...?

The wave of whining about the film that arose on the internet, like a mass of cockroaches stirring from the depths...

kenjib

First Post
Fenros said:
Really? I've heard of different interpretations of various parts of this film in so many variety of ways. But I think this is the first time I heard of anyone thinking this. Now, I've heard many who thought that they would have rather seen more visual fireworks in that scene, but none who thought it was gratuitous or tacked on.

I'm trying to imagine the scene now with less 'dueling' between Gandalf and Saruman. Hmmmm.

I actually agree with the original poster. While the duelling was okay, I would have liked the scene better if it were handled with more subtlety. My vision of it in the books did not involve a dramatic wizard duel. It was simply Saruman locking Gandalf in the tower, Gandalf being caught by surprise and not wanting to strike out against the man who was once his close friend and master. Jackson has many tremendous merits as a director, but subtlety has never been one of them. There are other scenes that reflect this as well.

Remove ads